Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,633 posts, read 23,941,320 times
Reputation: 3107

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
I think that if you don't accept yourself for who you are, then you'll never be truly happy with yourself, if I'm being honest.

Even though you might feel that you were born into the wrong nationality, a part of you will always still be American whether you like it or not. You were born here, you were raised here, and it's a part of your own, individual history and identity whether you want it to be or not. Even if you left right now,renounced your citizenship, and never came back, you're still always going to have that time of your life that you spent here. I'm not saying that this is a good thing or a bad thing or that your sentiments are right or wrong, I'm just saying that I think that this is merely a reality that you cannot escape no matter how hard you try and that it's probably best just to accept it.

And the US is FAR, FAR from perfect, I don't think anyone would claim that it is, but show me a place that is. I think many other countries in the world do a lot of things far better than us, but I also think that we do a lot of things far better than many other countries in the world as well. And I'm all for constructive criticism too (God knows we need it) and I myself pick apart many, many of the faults that the US has.

Also, and I'm not dissing Canada here (I, too, love Canada), but as an American who has lived abroad in numerous countries for years at a time in the past, I think that you probably don't realize how American you truly are until you're really living (and not vacationing) in a foreign country for an extended period of time. It might actually surprise you. Just a thought though.

Here's an interesting, but dated, article that I found about an American moving to Canada. I really don't care or have an opinion on it, but perhaps you might be interested in reading it. Before You Flee to Canada, Can We Talk? (washingtonpost.com)

Whatever you end up doing with your life, I wish you good luck.
I agree alot of Americans moan to me about not being Irish or English and it really gets quite irritating because America is far better than here. They are so spoilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Strathclyde & Málaga
2,975 posts, read 8,130,470 times
Reputation: 1867
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I agree alot of Americans moan to me about not being Irish or English and it really gets quite irritating because America is far better than here. They are so spoilt.

The real America (living there) is quite a different ball game to holidaying in places like Florida (tourist desitnations)etc. I wouldn't exactly call them spoiled either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,112 posts, read 29,669,978 times
Reputation: 8825
No, I am happy as I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: MO->MI->CA->TX->MA
7,031 posts, read 14,525,552 times
Reputation: 5586
Well, I'm born Asian (Chinese), live in America, and people tell me I'm European, not Chinese or even American in my values, attitudes, and general outlook towards life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
 
35,094 posts, read 51,424,246 times
Reputation: 62673
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Does anyone feel like the nationality they were born/raised with is wrong?

I am a born and raised American. My family has been in the US for many generations. Born in San Francisco. I've never left the US except for a few trips to Canada.

Yet, I've never really 'felt' American. The pledge of allegiance was always a chore to me. 4th of July is about fireworks and BBQ IMO. I never felt like 9/11 was an attack on me as an American, just something that happened to a bunch of other people. I even kind of understand why they did it, not that I think it was justified or anything. American hegemony is annoying and we really are an existential threat to other cultures, I think 9/11 was in their eyes an act of self defense, and I wouldn't be too shocked if our own government allowed it to happen or even planned it because our government has done a lot of evil things in its history.

As to what I would feel better as, maybe a Canadian or a Scandinavian or even English. Does anyone else feel the same way about their country? Like their 'personality' isn't right for their country of origin?

The only American value I'm really adamant about is the free speech thing.
You should start the process now so you can perhaps go be whatever nationality you feel you truly are by the end of this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,112 posts, read 29,669,978 times
Reputation: 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I agree alot of Americans moan to me about not being Irish or English and it really gets quite irritating because America is far better than here. They are so spoilt.
Living in America might be marginally better than in Northern Ireland. Americans certainly aren't spoilt, a person living in Alabama might think people living in Northern Ireland are 'spoilt' for having free healthcare (both are rather poor in their respective nations). Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 AM
 
231 posts, read 507,917 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Does anyone feel like the nationality they were born/raised with is wrong?

I am a born and raised American. My family has been in the US for many generations. Born in San Francisco. I've never left the US except for a few trips to Canada.

Yet, I've never really 'felt' American. The pledge of allegiance was always a chore to me. 4th of July is about fireworks and BBQ IMO. I never felt like 9/11 was an attack on me as an American, just something that happened to a bunch of other people. I even kind of understand why they did it, not that I think it was justified or anything. American hegemony is annoying and we really are an existential threat to other cultures, I think 9/11 was in their eyes an act of self defense, and I wouldn't be too shocked if our own government allowed it to happen or even planned it because our government has done a lot of evil things in its history.

As to what I would feel better as, maybe a Canadian or a Scandinavian or even English. Does anyone else feel the same way about their country? Like their 'personality' isn't right for their country of origin?

The only American value I'm really adamant about is the free speech thing.


You are definitively cascadian.
I'm going to write you a prescription...smoke natural stuff and ignore transgenic seeds, too much THC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Estonia
1,759 posts, read 1,884,848 times
Reputation: 1109
It's against the odds not to be born in China or India so I'm happy enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM
 
231 posts, read 507,917 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Well, I'm born Asian (Chinese), live in America, and people tell me I'm European, not Chinese or even American in my values, attitudes, and general outlook towards life.

There are many Chinese restaurants turned into Japanese in tourist spots in Europe, that's why American tourists believe Europeans are sort of Japanese-Chinese people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,561 posts, read 40,401,204 times
Reputation: 28565
I was born and raised in the United States but have lived in several European nations (as an adult).

I felt OK and somewhat at ease in these countries, but none of them felt like home even though I could speak the language pretty well to very well in all of them. I eventually did come home to the United States where I continue to struggle with fitting in.

I think some of us are just oddballs who don't fit the stereotype of our culture. If you feel like you well and truly don't fit in, then I encourage you to try living abroad. You may love it, you may hate it. Some Americans flourish and thrive in European nations. Others, like me, don't find what they're looking for and return home. Doesn't mean we're gung-ho pro-America. It just means we're still searching.

One thing, though; try to pin down as precisely as possible whether the issue is truly your location and the culture you find yourself surrounded by, or whether it goes deeper than that. There is no geographical cure for depression or self-esteem issues.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top