Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 05:31 AM

28 posts, read 13,691 times

Advertisements

There are four main tourist areas in the US and they are the areas with the excepton Vegas that I personally also like to visit, however the US National Parks and georgraphic wonders are also well worth a visit.

1. Florida Coast including Miami - this is Americas package holiday area with many international tourists.

2. East Coast - NYC being the main tourist location, however New England during the fall and the capital Washington DC also attracts lots of tourists.

3. West Coast - LA and SF are the main tourist locations, although the vineyard of California also attract tourists thanks to films such as Sideways.

4. Las Vegas is obviously a magnet for tourists from across the world, and many also visit the Grand Canyon.

Some tourists also visit the National Parks and geographic wonders such as Niagara Falls but they are fewer in numbers.

Last edited by Dyingllama; 01-28-2018 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Chicago and Philadelphia. I have only really passed through those cities. I would like to spend a few days there and explore.

In Mexico I would like to explore Mexico city, Puebla and Villahermosa, Tabasco.

Here in Canada I would like to spend more time in Vancouver.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:59 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Top 100 international tourist destination cities in of the world in the US.

Rank. City: tourists (millions)
8. New York City: 11.6
21. Las Vegas: 6.3
22. Miami: 6
26. Los Angeles: 5
32. Orlando: 4.1
43. San Francisco: 3.2
78. Honolulu: 2
92. Washington D.C.: 1.7

Top 100 International Tourist Destination Cities By Country - Brilliant Maps

Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingllama View Post
There are four main tourist areas in the US and they are the areas with the excepton Vegas that I personally also like to visit, however the US National Parks and georgraphic wonders are also well worth a visit.

1. Florida Coast including Miami - this is Americas package holiday area with many international tourists.

2. East Coast - NYC being the main tourist location, however New England during the fall and the capital Washington DC also attracts lots of tourists.

3. West Coast - LA and SF are the main tourist locations, although the vineyard of California also attract tourists thanks to films such as Sideways.

4. Las Vegas is obviously a magnet for tourists from across the world, and many also visit the Grand Canyon.

Some tourists also visit the National Parks and geographic wonders such as Niagara Falls but they are fewer in numbers.
For Canadian visitors to the Northeast, its not just NYC and New England, I see Canadian license plates all over New York State, including the Adirondacks and the Finger Lakes. Sometimes even here on Long Island. Canadians also visit the Jersey Shore of New Jersey.

But for people overseas, besides some of the cities like NYC, Miami, Vancouver, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, I think the big draw is the amazing amount of National Parks in both the USA and Canada.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
I would like to visit Detroit and Toronto. Heard many goods things about them. They are relatively close together so they could easily be visited in one trip.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:43 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Seattle, Vancouver, Honolulu and Mexico City at some point.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 5,835 times
From Canada the only city I find interesting is Montreal. The anglo part of Canada does not interest me.

From the US:
Been there done that to the point it's not exciting anymore.
Miami
NYC

Been there once and I'd go again:
San Francisco (I heard is overrated these days)

Willing to check out:
Baltimore (Seems interesting)
Philadelphia (Seems interesting)
Chicago (Would visit)

Want to visit:
New Orleans (Never been there but I wanna go)

I heard it's nice:
Cincinnati

The rest don't interest me.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:42 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Here's my bucket list for the U.S. and years of visit (or planned visit):
  1. Atlanta (2018)
  2. Austin (2021)
  3. Boston (2018)
  4. Chicago (2013) (Complete)
  5. Cleveland (2020)
  6. Dallas (2021) (Driven Through It)
  7. Denver (2021)
  8. Detroit (2018)
  9. Houston (2021) (Went for 2 days but my camera broke. So I don't consider it having been visited)
  10. Las Vegas (2017)
  11. Los Angeles (2017)
  12. Memphis (2015)
  13. Miami (2015)
  14. Minneapolis (2020)
  15. New Orleans (2018) - Next Month
  16. New York (2011)
  17. Orlando (2019)
  18. Philadelphia (2011)
  19. Phoenix (2021)
  20. Portland (2019)
  21. San Diego (2018)
  22. San Francisco (2017)
  23. Seattle (2019)
  24. Tampa (2019)
  25. Washington (2006) aka Home!

Other Million Man Metros (CSA) Visited:
  1. Baltimore (2017) - Technically Not a Standalone CSA
  2. Nashville (2015)
  3. Oklahoma City (2006) - No Photos So Technically Doesn't Count
  4. Tulsa (1998)
I really need to visit nearby metros though: Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Richmond and Virginia Beach are all nearby-ish. And places like Hartford and Providence are a insanely cheap Southwest flight away.

Ironically, I've been to over 40 countries. So I can say I've been to China, Morocco, Argentina, Jordan, and most of the EU, but still haven't been to West Virginia, North Carolina, or Kentucky (3 states bordering Virginia).

Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
Where I have already been, and my not-so-humble-opinions.

Seattle.
Pioneer Square area is pretty cool. Good walkability.

Chicago.
Good walkability. Good subways. I don't much about the South side of the loop though.

Phoenix.
Technically walkable, clean but, huge distances.

Cambridge.
Harvard Square and Mass Ave are cool. Damn shame Somerville lost GoodTimes, that venue would make anyplace awesome.

Washington DC.
Makes for pretty pictures downtown, a few of the outer reaches of DC are ghetto slums. Traffic is much worse than NYC.

Jacksonville.
Great Zoo. Great Beach. Great Strip Clubs ...if that's your thing. Not an economic powerhouse though.

Virginia Beach.
Awesome Beach. Quite a few places might look ghetto but, not mean just poor. Friendly people. I'd be friendly too if I was that close to VA Beach.

Savannah.
Sucks. Saint Patty's sounds great but, really? The best thing to do is get hammered so bad you forget you were there? I've lived here in this ...town... with barely enough to do to fill up a weekend. If it sounds like I got a grudge with this place I do.

Fairbanks.
One of those towns where the WalMart is the mall but, I had good company.

Anchorage.
Beautiful, a range of outdoorsman activities while still having the amenities of a city. Aside from the cold, it is the best blend of "country" and "city" living in a single municipality I've seen yet.

New York.
I am biased as I grew up here but, the amount of cool of stuff here is immense but, at the cost of some major difficulty. It used to be bad but, on a day to day level it's the safest city. It's too damn pricey and crowded. TLDR; NYC got some of the highest high points but, some of the lowest low points.

Where I haven't been (well for enough time to form an educated opinion anyway):

Miami (haven't been at all)
San Fran (not at all, and I don't want to, an entire city that might be culturally like NYC's Greenwich Village? I'll pass)
Las Vegas (haven't been at all)
LA (haven't been at all)
Orlando (short visit)
DFW (short visit)
Philly (short visit)
St. Louis (short visit but, even 2 hours here was almost nightmarish)
Atlanta (short visit)

Old 02-08-2018, 02:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Kudos to your wide-traveledness in North America (including the Caribbean)! Excepting some obvious locations like NYC, Orlando, Las Vegas, and LA, I find North America, especially Canada, Central America, and America's 'second tier' to be way underrated as tourist destinations.
Thanks! I've been very fortunate. And I totally agree. There's so many second and even third tier cities with not great reputations that really offer an awesome variety of things to see and do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World