Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times

Advertisements

It seems like certain ethnic groups have been privileged and lucky throughout their history and others have been downtrodden, oppressed and even killed en masse multiple times.

I would say some of the most unlucky would be:

Ironically, the Irish, despite the stereotype of Irish people being lucky. The Irish throughout their history have been bullied by their neighbors, whether it's the English or the Norwegian Vikings. Suffered a massive potato famine which killed off a huge percentage of their people to the point that so many died or left afterwards that the island has never recovered to its previous population.

The Cambodians/Khmer. They should be included for enduring the Killing Fields alone, but to this today they're still among the poorest people in Asia.

The Jews of course. Though they have experienced fortune and fame in certain parts of spacetime, they've also endured the Holocaust and countless pogroms, and have been a minority in everywhere they have lived except ancient Israel and its modern re-creation.

Pretty much all the native people of the Americas, for the fact that the Columbian Exchange killed off most of them and the ones that survive have always been in an inferior position to the culture that conquered them. Their history and folklore is almost forgotten as well, adding insult to injury. However, their pre-Columbian history wasn't necessarily too unfortunate and lasted thousands of years.

The Poles, for being a corridor of so many different wars, and being a stateless people for so long. Only recently have things become good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Pretty much every nation has suffered conquest, invasion, famine, disaster at one time or another. Their successes have also been brief. The Poles do seem quite unlucky, and the Jews of course. Poor people pretty much anywhere get a raw deal.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
The africans. And the Irish- yes they are still going on about this.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Jews, Kurds, Armenians and Africans.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:47 AM

295 posts, read 1,154,808 times
I do not consider Africans as an ethnic. is an immense continent, with different races, cultures and religions. Not all had the same history, and not all have experienced slavery, indeed, southern europeans were enslaved by north african for centuries, and that was not so many centuries ago.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:24 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,578 times
Sadly it's a narrative of human history that nearly all ethnicities have tragic histories... probably the only ones to not have had an overly tragic past would be (white) Australia, and perhaps Canada. I would even hestitate to include the US in this list.

For all other nations, bloodshed and misery seem to be the norm up until really very recently.

But yes, the Irish, Russians and most East Europeans, Jews, Palestinians, native Americans, Australian Aboriginies, Cambodians, most African peoples.... particularly sad histories.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Mongolians? I recall they controlled a vast empire once but I don't know of any account of them being pushed to extreme hardships compared to the other ethnicities.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Mongolians? I recall they controlled a vast empire once but I don't know of any account of them being pushed to extreme hardships compared to the other ethnicities.
Who mentioned Mongolians?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
It seems like certain ethnic groups have been privileged and lucky throughout their history and others have been downtrodden, oppressed and even killed en masse multiple times.

I would say some of the most unlucky would be:

Ironically, the Irish, despite the stereotype of Irish people being lucky. The Irish throughout their history have been bullied by their neighbors, whether it's the English or the Norwegian Vikings. Suffered a massive potato famine which killed off a huge percentage of their people to the point that so many died or left afterwards that the island has never recovered to its previous population.

The Cambodians/Khmer. They should be included for enduring the Killing Fields alone, but to this today they're still among the poorest people in Asia.

The Jews of course. Though they have experienced fortune and fame in certain parts of spacetime, they've also endured the Holocaust and countless pogroms, and have been a minority in everywhere they have lived except ancient Israel and its modern re-creation.

Pretty much all the native people of the Americas, for the fact that the Columbian Exchange killed off most of them and the ones that survive have always been in an inferior position to the culture that conquered them. Their history and folklore is almost forgotten as well, adding insult to injury. However, their pre-Columbian history wasn't necessarily too unfortunate and lasted thousands of years.

The Poles, for being a corridor of so many different wars, and being a stateless people for so long. Only recently have things become good for them.
FYI...the term "luck of the Irish" is actually meant as an ironic/sarcastic sort of saying (which you actually sorta picked up on already). It means they have bad luck rather than good luck!

So many countries have had terrible histories--Gosh, I'm not sure there are that many countries that haven't been affected by slavery, war, starvation, disease, poverty, genocide, child sex slavery,apartheid, etc. Really too hard to pick what's been more horrible. The Jews I'd say is pretty high up there though..The horrors of places like Rwanda, Sudan (Darfur)...or how about North Korea- I'd definitely pass on living in this place.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 PM

210 posts, read 565,377 times
Cuba's history is pretty sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World