Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,983,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
All round the world, from Asia to Europe to South America, men wear short swimming suits. It seems only in US and Canada, men have to wear their ridiculously long and baggy shorts in the pool. from a practical point of view, aren't they heavy once in the water?

What are they afraid of? On the other hand, women can wear next to nothing but it seems totally fine. Why are men so conservative? Is it because most men are fat and therefore this tradition?
A guy with a great body can get away with a speedo but there comes a time when it just dont work anymore and the longer shorts type bathing suits are preferable from a fashion perspective.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,625,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I agree with you, but unfortunately, many feel the need to criticize a man who chooses to wear shorter shorts, to include swimming shorts.
that's exactly the point here.

the question is less about why north american men wear long swimming shorts, but rather why they can't accept shorter shorts, even when they are on other people. It is when it is so socially unacceptable that most men simply don't wear them any more, even though they actually prefer to.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times
Quote:

the question is less about why north american men wear long swimming shorts, but rather why they can't accept shorter shorts, even when they are on other people. It is when it is so socially unacceptable that most men simply don't wear them any more, even though they actually prefer to.
For starters they're simply not available in the shops. If I want them I would have to buy online. That's another reason why you don't see men here wearing them.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 AM

571 posts, read 1,195,318 times
Swim trunks can be incredibly sexy on a guy. If the trunks hang nice and low (you can see that indentation on the hip). Super sexy. I understand the point being made that perhaps they are long - that's the style of the moment - I'm guessing they'll shorten up a bit.

Speedos just look all wrong from the front and the back. The man's rear end looks compressed - not flattering, even on a strong guy.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 AM

882 posts, read 2,082,511 times
Quote:

No, the "point" is that, after many pages, someone's trying to make some sort of strange point.
The fact remains that longer legged male swimwear has been around for decades, especially among the salt water sports crowd - watch the all time surf classic "The Endless Summer" from 1966 and you'll find any number of pictured surfers w/what later became the famed "jams" or "board shorts": longer legged shorts that protect the mid & upper thigh. You'll also note that longer legged shorts came into widespread use among boaters worldwide not long after WWII as a comfort issue - sun & dried salt water is far better dealt w/by having some sort of cover...
Having spent some time on beaches around the world I can say w/some confidence that 1) the longer legged style is now universally favored for water activities regardless of continent, and 2) that Americans tend to be the most "active" salt water beachgoers (with Aussies just about tied).
Some beachgoers, of course, will also favor styles from celebrities, and it should go w/o saying that the longer short is highly favored by NBA players (popularized w/Jordan & Ewing).
In short (heh) longer legged shorts can be more comfortable for (seemingly) more people.
Oh, and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Last edited by Jayess1; 08-26-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,084,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
You may agree or not, but labeling everything slightly different than the contemporary norm as gay is becoming or has already become a trend in American pop culture.
I think you are totally right. It has become an U.S. obsession.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 PM

231 posts, read 502,771 times
I live in a med beach and Americans are not characterized because of their use of knee lenght trunks. Local kids and every trendy kid wears those uncomfortable swimsuits. I myself wear WWII shorts, like the ones used by Cliff Robertson in Too Late a Hero in his beach scene. Such shorts are popular here because you can walk around in the city with them, and they fit people of every age. I use Adidas shorts, so I guess they are quite popular.

As to Speedos, Russian and Gays love Speedos.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:27 PM

784 posts, read 1,972,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
No, the "point" is that, after many pages, someone's trying to make some sort of strange point.
The fact remains that longer legged male swimwear has been around for decades, especially among the salt water sports crowd - watch the all time surf classic "The Endless Summer" from 1966 and you'll find any number of pictured surfers w/what later became the famed "jams" or "board shorts": longer legged shorts that protect the mid & upper thigh. You'll also note that longer legged shorts came into widespread use among boaters worldwide not long after WWII as a comfort issue - sun & dried salt water is far better dealt w/by having some sort of cover...
Having spent some time on beaches around the world I can say w/some confidence that 1) the longer legged style is now universally favored for water activities regardless of continent, and 2) that Americans tend to be the most "active" salt water beachgoers (with Aussies just about tied).
Some beachgoers, of course, will also favor styles from celebrities, and it should go w/o saying that the longer short is highly favored by NBA players (popularized w/Jordan & Ewing).
In short (heh) longer legged shorts can be more comfortable for (seemingly) more people.
Oh, and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar
You are correct about long male swimwear being around, but that is usually for a specific purpose. If there was nothing else behind the fact that long legged male swimwear is a near cultural requirement in Western society, then why is it just about the only style is available? If long-legged swimwear is more functional all around, then why are the majority of women now wearing tiny, tie on the side bikinis while men practically wear long pants? Why, if a man chooses to wear something shorter to the beach (or anywhere for that matter), will he likely face some sort of ridicule, and could even find himself on Youtube, placed there in a video taken by young men and women making fun of him. Why? I'll tell you why. Like I said in a previous post, and I mean no offense, is that to many in Western Society, short shorts on a man equals gayness. That includes swimsuits, with a more particular disdain reserved for Speedos. It is a product of the backlash against the Gay Rights Movement of the 1980s. A lot of information on the internet attests to this.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:22 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,690,143 times
where I live, short shorts are back in style. In fact, most guys my age wouldn't be caught dead in shorts that go past their knees. Shorts aren't too short (usually just above the knee) but swim trunks are perfectly acceptable if they're even shorter than that.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:33 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,713,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
You're right, it is quite bizarre to see young American guys coming out of the sea, swathed in yards of soaking wet cloth.

This shift toward ever-larger and longer bathing trunks began in the late 80's and accelerated in the 90's from what I saw in the U.S. This was the era of AIDS and of the increasing visibilty of gay men (who were very casual about showing their bodies), so it seemed to me that it was a reaction by American guys against the possibility that they might "look gay."

This "does it look gay if...." seems to be a regular theme among American men in the clothing and fashion forum...sandals, shorts, you name it.
I don't care about looking gay...I just don't want to look European
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.