Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,441,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
So you say its ok to stereotype people. So do you think all 38 million Canadians are idiots based on your experience with Canadian customs?
Yes, it's ok to stereotype people.

No, but Canadian immigration officers in the drive-through booths are unnecessarily uptight. They should get better training in profiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,217,156 times
Quote:
So you say its ok to stereotype people. So do you think all 38 million Canadians are idiots based on your experience with Canadian customs?
It think it is perfectly OK to stereotype people. For example, if I take a vacation to India, I think it is perfectly OK to expect people to act in accordance with Indian culture and customs when I get there, and pretty much behave like Indians, and luckily, I have a stereotype in mind before I go that I can expect them to conform to, and thus avoid insulting them or making unreasonable demands on their sense of appropriate hospitality. My trip would be very unpleasant if I treated them all like Americans, and expected them to treat me as Americans would.

Similarly, if I meet an Indian in the US, I feel perfectly comfortable stereotyping the Indian, so that I do not behave in his presence in a manner that might be offensive to his cultural values.

Why does everybody think stereotype is a bad word? If I encounter a very pleasant and cooperative customs officer, is it OK if I use that to stereotype 38 million Canadians and regard them as exemplary people?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 PM

7,864 posts, read 10,338,648 times
Quote:
Its the truth. Its a no brainer. When you travel you respect local traditions and be polite. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

No sarcasm needed.

some people ( regardless of backround ) will treat you with contempt even your the dalai lama meets prince charming

Old 08-21-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
A nice positive thread and bob has managed to be sarcastic and anti-Scottish as ever!

your too sensitive my friend , ive yet to start a thread which is anti scottish yet you keep laying this charge at my door , i stayed with a delightfull family in a b + b in scotland a few years ago while on the way to the lake district , they allowed me walk around their organic farm in the scottish borders

dont forget that story

Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,084,248 times
Taiwanese. Humble, smart, hardworking.
Cambodians. Hands down the most friendly people on Earth.

Honorable Mentions:
Slovaks.
Hungarians.
British.
Greeks.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,872,401 times
It was jest my friend.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yes its a Irish thing. They don't like protestants.

actually anti catholic sentiment is and has always been much higher than the other way around , from scotland to parts of the usa

its a bit of a cheap shot to accuse me of bigotry , im athiest , cant help what way i was raised , go burn a polish flag with your shankill mates

Old 08-21-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It think it is perfectly OK to stereotype people. For example, if I take a vacation to India, I think it is perfectly OK to expect people to act in accordance with Indian culture and customs when I get there, and pretty much behave like Indians, and luckily, I have a stereotype in mind before I go that I can expect them to conform to, and thus avoid insulting them or making unreasonable demands on their sense of appropriate hospitality. My trip would be very unpleasant if I treated them all like Americans, and expected them to treat me as Americans would.

Similarly, if I meet an Indian in the US, I feel perfectly comfortable stereotyping the Indian, so that I do not behave in his presence in a manner that might be offensive to his cultural values.

Why does everybody think stereotype is a bad word? If I encounter a very pleasant and cooperative customs officer, is it OK if I use that to stereotype 38 million Canadians and regard them as exemplary people?

opposition to stereotypes is part and parcel of the whole phoney culture of political correctness , not all stereotypes are negative for crying out loud , most are humorous

the biggest stereotype about my country is pretty much on the money , we drink too much and some almost wear its as a badge of honour

Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Taiwanese. Humble, smart, hardworking.
Cambodians. Hands down the most friendly people on Earth.

Honorable Mentions:
Slovaks.
Hungarians.
British.
Greeks.

hungarians were by a mile the least friendly and unpleasant nation ive ever met

Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
It was jest my friend.
i dont think so

if an irish person launched a viscious smear campaign ( with sectarianism as their motive ) against you which ruined your career prospects at an important juncture and at an early age , you would have deep reservations also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World