Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,552,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is being on time important in your culture?

I think this is much easier to "qualify" than more vague questions like whether one culture is more shallow than another, etc.

I'll give 3 scenarios:

1. You need electrical work done and have contacted an electrician. He say's he'll be there at 11:30. He doesn't show up until 12:20, and gives no apology or excuse for his lateness. How would you react?

2. You have a job interview scheduled for 10:30. You are not able to locate where the interview will take place at immediately, so you arrive there at 10:40. Would you be stressed out?

3. A friend is having a party. She says that it will begin at 7. What time would you be expected to show up?

My country is extremely unpunctual. Nothing ever gets done in time, no one ever gets anywhere in time. Punctuality is a foreign concept in Argentina.

Answering your questions:

1: If any person that you call to fix anything (electrician or any other worker) say he would be at your home at 11:30, expect him at least at 14:00, but he could also come at 18:00. No one will react cause this is expected.

2: Maybe the only situation in where ill be a bit stressed up, but the truth is, giving the chaotic city in wich we live in, unpunctuality is tolerated even in work spaces. If you showed up late to a job interview it wouldnt be such a big deal, but it also wouldnt be expected like in many other social interactions.

3: If she says it will begin at 7, you have to AT LEAST be there at 9. If you do go at 7, NO ONE is gonna be there, probably not even the host. You have to be at least 2 hours "late".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM

81 posts, read 237,981 times
Brazil is the epitome of unpuncuatility.....being unpunctual here is kind of expected, everyone does it......it's not nice, obviously, but that's just how it is.....a lot of foreigners comment about it when they come here.

Regarding your scenarios, SophieLL's answers would fit here as well, although for job interviews it doesn't look good to be late.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,550,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i get labelled a bigot all the time on this forum for percieved slights against protestants

well heres where i balance the swing

catholics ( latinos - irish - italians ) tend to be more relaxed about punctuality and formality in business , those prods are early risers who get to work on time
I agree Protestant/Catholic plays a role (although North Americans sometimes seem blind to cultural differences arising from the P/C divide). Case in point, Quebec's more relaxed about punctuality and British Columbia is more up tight.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,061,692 times
1. No this is quite normal where I live.
2. Probably, even being 10 minutes late can give a bad impression.
3. A little later than 7 most likely, I like the host to have a little extra time to prepare.

Punctuality really matters in business and professional settings, otherwise it's more lax when just being social.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,384,322 times
Judging from my friends the answer is no.

1. The electrician will more likely say that he will show up before or after lunch or perhaps around 2 pm.
He will probably never show up at 2 pm sharp.

2. I will go early to the job interview, so I have time to locate the place if I can't find it. I'd rather sit and wait 15-30 minutes, since it is important to show your best sides in this particular situation.

3. I will probably show up around 7, but since our parties is anything but formal it doesn't matter if I show up at 7 or 10.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,632,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is being on time important in your culture?

I think this is much easier to "qualify" than more vague questions like whether one culture is more shallow than another, etc.

I'll give 3 scenarios:

1. You need electrical work done and have contacted an electrician. He say's he'll be there at 11:30. He doesn't show up until 12:20, and gives no apology or excuse for his lateness. How would you react?

2. You have a job interview scheduled for 10:30. You are not able to locate where the interview will take place at immediately, so you arrive there at 10:40. Would you be stressed out?

3. A friend is having a party. She says that it will begin at 7. What time would you be expected to show up?
In Russia, It is purely individual, If Talk about Your examples, it depends on the company, if the company values the reputation, its workers will arrive at the appointed time, if this is a bad company it is natural and complain about them makes no sense because you know who is providing the services to you. With regard to the 2 - nd example, it is the same independent of those with whom you deal, if people are vital that you will have problems if people are more aware of the fact they forgive you . As regards Work, services and educational institutions, then you are obliged to be on time otherwise you may have problems with the leadership in most cases,If you are late for a good reason, the more likely you are forgiven. I think such a scenario and around the world or I'm wrong?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,527,727 times

I'll give 3 scenarios:

- I dont think anyone would ever expect a tradie to show up on time In Australia, although they normally come up with some excuse for the lateness.

-I am sure if you called and told them you would be fine, it would be different story if It was half an hour late however. Oddly enough I was half an hour late for my last job interview, I had a good excuse however, the bus I was on ran into a car on the way.

Unless it was at a restaurant or something which required you to be seated etc by 7, I doubt anyone would actually show up at exactly 7 o’clock.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,769,541 times
As a self employed contractor, punctuality isn't high on my list of priorities, but I seldom do exact times. It just isn't practical. I'm big on communication though, and will always phone if their is a change of plan.

I recently pulled up someone for being slack with times, while they were working on my place. I said, being late isn't the problem, not telling me is -my time off work waiting was about $150.

I would be concerned if I was late for an interview, as it wouldn't be a great start. On the other hand, I once employed someone who failed to show up for an interview.... twice.

Parties here don't really work around exact times, eg - an text invite today just mentioned "party kicking off around sunset ", probably similar in most places though.

I would say punctuality in business is important in any country, as it is a component of productivity.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-22-2012 at 04:24 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 04:59 AM

23,296 posts, read 29,163,763 times
Historically, clocks and wristwatches are relatively new to this world, and it's amazing how we so quickly became slaves to time. I believe I read that mass-produced wristwatches really became popular back in the 1920's, and it was women who became more addicted to them first, the need to have a wristwatch. Before that, it was only the rich that could afford them!

Before that time, you were at the mercy of the church or city hall bells going bong-bong-bong.

"Yes, I'll be serving dinner tonite at 8 bongs, and woe to you if you're hard of hearing!"

"I want you to be to work tomorrow at 6 bongs!"

Being I'm a recovering punctualist, what is far worse is when you get people who show up 15 minutes early! Off with their heads!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 AM

633 posts, read 1,738,262 times

I would call the company at 12:00 and ask, when he is arriving or i try to call the person on his phone. If i get an update for the arrival, okay. If i dont reach anybody, i would leave home and go shopping. I dont wait for anybody for more than 30 minutes if i have an appointment. I do also have appointments and i am never late.

I hate people which are late on appointments. If i am the boss and you are late by reason that you were not able to find the right adress on the right time you definately will not get the job. Job interviews are important and this means that i come that early to the place that even a traffic jam doesn`t ruin my interview. I am always on time and i expect it from anybody else too.

10 to 7 :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World