Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

Is being on time important in your culture?

I think this is much easier to "qualify" than more vague questions like whether one culture is more shallow than another, etc.

I'll give 3 scenarios:

1. You need electrical work done and have contacted an electrician. He say's he'll be there at 11:30. He doesn't show up until 12:20, and gives no apology or excuse for his lateness. How would you react?

2. You have a job interview scheduled for 10:30. You are not able to locate where the interview will take place at immediately, so you arrive there at 10:40. Would you be stressed out?

3. A friend is having a party. She says that it will begin at 7. What time would you be expected to show up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is being on time important in your culture?

I think this is much easier to "qualify" than more vague questions like whether one culture is more shallow than another, etc.

I'll give 3 scenarios:

1. You need electrical work done and have contacted an electrician. He say's he'll be there at 11:30. He doesn't show up until 12:20, and gives no apology or excuse for his lateness. How would you react?

2. You have a job interview scheduled for 10:30. You are not able to locate where the interview will take place at immediately, so you arrive there at 10:40. Would you be stressed out?

3. A friend is having a party. She says that it will begin at 7. What time would you be expected to show up?
compared to jamaica , yes

compared to germany , hell no

the job will get done but if you complained about a contractor arriving late in my country , he would perfer ditch the job entirely than listen to your criticism , irish people are not good for complaining , we will whinge about crap service in a restaraunt amongst ourselves in private but smile like a cheshire cat when the waitor calls round to the table

me , im a stickler for punctuality

Old 08-21-2012, 03:17 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
We're the same here Irish Bob, we complain about terrible service to our friends or family but won't say anything to anyone's face because we feel rude for doing so.

If I ordered a taxi though and it didn't arrive until 20 minutes later I'd be on the phone to the taxi operator and I'd be giving them a mouthful.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:48 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
1. Contractors/tradies are notorious for being late in more than a few countries. Just part and parcel of the culture, it seems. It's often infuriating, especially if you have to take time off work or have other contractors lined up to do work after. Australian tradies are terrible for that. It's rare to have one show up on time, and there you pay especially high rates for them. $100/hr for a plasterer, for instance. Everybody's reaction is the same - ticked off! But what can you do? They're hard to come by because they're not desperate for work so if you get all nasty with them, they'll turn around and walk, leaving you with your leaking toilet, hole in the roof, partially finished renovation, etc.

2. Arriving late for an interview ... yes I would be extremely stressed out! I've always left much earlier for job interviews, just in case.

3. Parties are a bit more casual but no later than 7:30. Some people are almost paranoid of showing up to parties right on time, as they think it makes you look desperate or something. I have a friend who never shows up to parties til 3 hours later, or more. Once she showed up at a party and was so late that everyone had left and the hosts were getting ready for bed.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
We're the same here Irish Bob, we complain about terrible service to our friends or family but won't say anything to anyone's face because we feel rude for doing so.

If I ordered a taxi though and it didn't arrive until 20 minutes later I'd be on the phone to the taxi operator and I'd be giving them a mouthful.

trust me , we are much worse

ive always thought americans were number one for demanding excellent customer service and for providing it too

were not as bad as kiwis though , complaining in new zealand appears to be a crime , a person will make you their enemy if you complain about the slightest thing , its extrordinary, a nice person completely changes once anything negative is raised

tennant = my roof is leaking - landlord = stop whining

tennant = their is no indoor heating and its minus 10 outside = landlord = stop whining

tennant = my bed is made of concrete , can i have a matress , landlord = would you like a saucer of milk with that

employee = my middle manager is spreading maliscious rumours and smearing my name, boss = well no one else complained , i dont want to ever hear from you again

never seen anything like it

Old 08-21-2012, 04:00 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
Here in the U.S., at least in Chicago I find it to be more of the middle. Punctuality is important, but people wouldn't make a HUGE deal if you are super late. However, it's difficult to gauge too because the U.S. is so diverse. For instance, the Latino populations tend to be less punctial. I am Latino myself, so if I say I am going to meet you at 8pm I really mean 8:40. If I say the party will start at 8pm I really mean 9pm. Then that is how it is with many Latinos that i know. It really depends on the place too.

I feel in smaller towns and slower paced cities like San Diego, Austin, Seattle, etc., people are much more lax about time. Then in places like NYC you are always on the go. So it can really vary.

I would say the U.S. is either in the middle when it comes to this regard or just a mixed bag.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Here in the U.S., at least in Chicago I find it to be more of the middle. Punctuality is important, but people wouldn't make a HUGE deal if you are super late. However, it's difficult to gauge too because the U.S. is so diverse. For instance, the Latino populations tend to be less punctial. I am Latino myself, so if I say I am going to meet you at 8pm I really mean 8:40. If I say the party will start at 8pm I really mean 9pm. Then that is how it is with many Latinos that i know. It really depends on the place too.

I feel in smaller towns and slower paced cities like San Diego, Austin, Seattle, etc., people are much more lax about time. Then in places like NYC you are always on the go. So it can really vary.

I would say the U.S. is either in the middle when it comes to this regard or just a mixed bag.

i get labelled a bigot all the time on this forum for percieved slights against protestants

well heres where i balance the swing

catholics ( latinos - irish - italians ) tend to be more relaxed about punctuality and formality in business , those prods are early risers who get to work on time

Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
1. In the NY area, as in many other places, contractors seldom come at a specific time. Usually, they give a window of time, e.g., 9am-12pm, 1-6pm, etc. People will complain if they don't come during the time they say to expect them.

2. People are very serious about punctuality for things that are business related, like job interviews. Due to sometimes unreliable public transportation, people are known for arriving early, and then killing time nearby until the time of the appointment.

For casual meetings with friends, arriving within 10 minutes of the scheduled time is considered on time. If it's more than that, most people will look at you pointedly, expecting an explanation; if you don't provide one, you're likely to hear, "What happened?" Nowadays, most people will call to let you know if they're going to be late.

3. For parties, the expectation of punctuality depends on the type of party. If it is a seated dinner party, you are expected to arrive close to the time of the invitation so that the meal can be served to everyone at the same time. If it's just a regular party, it's not a big deal if you arrive late.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I'm a recovering punctualist! I used to be one, but having had three Mexican roommates, over the last 14 years, has greatly aided my recovery. Oscar Wilde put it so aptly: Punctuality is the thief of all time!

Having traveled widely thru Latin America has also helped to cure me of that utter madness! As I read in my Latin American travel guides: If someone invites you to a dinner down there at 8PM, don't be rude and inconsiderate and show up at 8PM, show up at 9PM! Then there's a better possibility they'll invite you back again!

Nowadays, I'm usually elated when someone fails to show up at a designated time, it tells me something about that person, they're healthier, less neurotic, than most people!

Unfortunately, punctuality is overstressed in this country, and hopefully with a larger foreign influence, some day, punctualists will be viewed upon as freaks! It couldn't come soon enough!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 PM

250 posts, read 661,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post

The Latinos sound like the Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World