Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM

994 posts, read 1,239,763 times

Advertisements

It's great to discuss the different qualities of the countries, cities, and regions that make up our world, but we should never forget one thing: there is far more in common between ordinary working people of all nationalities than there is between those ordinary people and the small elites of government, industry and the media with whom any given individual may happen to share a national identity.

This thought came to me when discussing with a Japanese friend the current territorial tensions between Japan, Korea, and China. I had to remind her that protestors in all three countries were allowing themselves to be distracted from the real things that mattered to them by a debate over some uninhibited islands that none of them would ever visit. Elites in all the countries concerned were able to use the dispute to distract from their own misdemeanours, failings, and crimes. In this way, far from being in conflict with each other, they were all on the same side in having an interest in maximising and prolonging the dispute.

And so it is the world over. So let's use the Internet to unite in international solidarity, for it is not between nations that the real conflict exists, but between ordinary hard-working people and the governments and corporations that seek to exploit and divide us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,444,104 times
So who are you - George or Bill?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM

317 posts, read 414,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
And so it is the world over. So let's use the Internet to unite in international solidarity, for it is not between nations that the real conflict exists, but between ordinary hard-working people and the governments and corporations that seek to exploit and divide us.
So I'm to collaborate with some uneducated sweatshop schmucks in Bangladesh, Bolivia and Butt**** Alabama to fight against the government and employers of my own country?

No thanks, but be my guest.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
So I'm to collaborate with some uneducated sweatshop schmucks in Bangladesh, Bolivia and Butt**** Alabama to fight against the government and employers of my own country?

No thanks, but be my guest.
It's unfortunate that you are under the misapprehension that working in a sweatshop means one must be uneducated, or that being 'uneducated' makes one a *******. The biggest determining factor in whether one is a poor sweatshop worker or a rich knowledge worker is where in the world and to which parents one happens to be born - it's a terrible mis-allocation of human resources that some of the most gifted minds are born into places where they'll do nothing more than harvest crops or stitch trainers.

Last edited by George & Bill; 08-23-2012 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
So who are you - George or Bill?
I am George.

And I, am Bill.

Has your brain exploded yet?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,348,027 times
Who is whom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
I am George.

And I, am Bill.

Has your brain exploded yet?

Old 08-25-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Who is whom?
Punctuate, don't infunctuate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World