Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wIregEx View Post
In a war Israel could beat Portugal and Ireland. Since Israel is in war so much they keep making more weapons they got chemical, nuclear & biological. It's also mandatory to be enlisted into the army.

Global Firepower - 2012 World Military Strength Ranking
sure. Israel has the highest military spending as pecentage of GDP in the world, and is ranked 145 out of 153 countries on the global peace index.

Israel is basically a "rogue country".

But does it mean it is powerful or influential? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
I am surprised the UK is still 5th on the military strength ranking with all the military cuts.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
sure. Israel has the highest military spending as pecentage of GDP in the world, and is ranked 145 out of 153 countries on the global peace index.

Israel is basically a "rogue country".

But does it mean it is powerful or influential? I don't think so.
Israel is not a "rogue" country. But it is quite influential in world politics and also on advances in technology and medical field. If you are using any chat type program then you are using what was originally Israeli technology as Israelis develop ICQ (the first chat program).

Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
The Globalization index: Globalization Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is probably a better, more accurate, and substantial measurement than the Global city ranks Alpha+ to Gamma- system when describing that for countries.

These are some indicators the Globalization index uses: “The global connectivity, integration and interdependence in the economic, social, technological, cultural, political, and ecological spheres.”

I also have my own ideas for how to figure out and measure how globalized certain countries are:

1. People’s mindset about the world and their personal role in it.

2. How open people are to other cultures/countries, and how much influence they want from those countries.

3. How economically connected that country is to other countries.

4. How much international tourism that country gets.

5. At least some foreign/ethnic diversity.

6. The amount of “foreign/ethnic” restaurants per capita.

7. The overall music scene, such as the music concerts it gets with musicians from other countries and people’s music preferences.

8. The percentage of people that know more than one language.

9. Other indicators too.

However, I still want to briefly rank some countries with the Alpha+ to Gamma- rank system based on my opinions for how globalized those countries are:

Alpha++/Alpha+
France
UK/England
USA
Canada
Australia
China

Alpha
Switzerland
Singapore
Japan
Netherlands
Sweden
Denmark
Germany
Norway

Alpha-
Taiwan
Belgium

Beta+
Thailand
India
Malaysia
South Korea
Austria

Beta
Italy
Spain
Czech Republic

Beta-
Vietnam
Iceland

Gamma+
Israel
Argentina
Chile
New Zealand

Gamma
Hungary
Finland

Gamma-
Russia
UAE
Mexico
Brazil
Slovenia
Croatia

Last edited by ; 09-09-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 PM

110 posts, read 280,916 times
I would go with 10 cities rather than the country.

Alpha ++:
New York City
London

Alpha +:
Tokyo
Paris
Los Angeles

Alpha:
Shanghai
Rome
Hong Kong
Seoul
Berlin

Old 09-09-2012, 03:55 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I also have my own ideas for how to figure out and measure how globalized certain countries are:
By this metric Russia is somewhere near the top. But you placed it at the bottom...

Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I would go with 10 cities rather than the country.

Alpha ++:
New York City
London

Alpha +:
Tokyo
Paris
Los Angeles

Alpha:
Shanghai
Rome
Hong Kong
Seoul
Berlin
What you said is false and overly generalizing.

There is a lot more other globalized cities and places in the world, including for cities/towns of all sizes. Definitely not just those 10 cities. You seem too bias towards bigger cities.

It is also still accurate and important to measure/quantify how globalized certain countries are overall.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
By this metric Russia is somewhere near the top. But you placed it at the bottom...
Gamma- for Russia is actually not bad of a rank for how globalized various countries are.

There is plenty of countries that don’t even qualify for Gamma- and are below Gamma-, even though there is also plenty of countries that would qualify for Alpha++ to Gamma -.

There is a lot of positive qualities about the globalization of countries, but at the same time it is a bit overrated, and some flaws can come from some forms of globalization such as the unrefined, low quality, cluttered, corrupted version of it.

Countries should aim for the refined, high quality, clear, non-corrupted version for that.

Overall, there is a lot of good valuable forms of globalization, but some bad forms of it still exist.

A country can still be great, with plenty to offer, and a high quality of life, even if not as globalized as another country.

Last edited by ; 09-11-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 01:53 PM

110 posts, read 280,916 times
Quote:
What you said is false and overly generalizing.

There is a lot more other globalized cities and places in the world, including for cities/towns of all sizes. Definitely not just those 10 cities. You seem too bias towards bigger cities.

It is also still accurate and important to measure/quantify how globalized certain countries are overall.
I don't see any false or over generalization from the post I made. The cities I listed are clear obvious noted as global cities. In terms of international influence and impact whether culture-wise or economy.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,420 times
Quote:
Gamma- for Russia is actually not bad of a rank for how globalized various countries are.
I don't really care if Russia is Alpha or Omega. But by your criteria - it is Alpha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World