Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 PM

27,646 posts, read 28,745,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupinTheFirst View Post
wow, people hardly have a good view of India

sad
The problem is that the poverty and dirtiness in India are so pervasive that whatever good qualities are there get masked by them. That's how it appears from the perspective of the developed world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,987,254 times
Quote:
wow, people hardly have a good view of India

sad
Honestly its warranted.

India's government is in such a sorry state. Its corrupt up the shiznit and its not even funny. When you go to India you see such a sad contrast of life compared to the US. I lived 12 years in Houston and would live there and pick to live there every single day of the year over anywhere in India just because of the cleanliness, noncorruption, quality of life, respectable income, and incredible modernity in the city's layout. Houston in the US would be like my 10th option behind Washington DC, Chicago, New York, Bay Area, Boston, Seattle, Miami, San Diego, and Austin. (That's not even including some of the medium sized western metropolitans that I really like more than Houston)

Its so sad to leave the airport on the drive to the hotel and see little kids naked, playing in landfills along the roads where literally real pigs and warthogs live. Sorry state of lanes on the roads and the pollution hurts almost.

Bright side is that the shopping, food, and culture is great! Literally if you're in India, I suggest only going there with a small carry on bag with a tooth brush and a few clothes and sanitary supplies (razor, shaving cream, stuff like that), and your iPad or smallest laptop/Netbook. Come back to the US with like 3 additional suitcases because clothes, household items or furniture, and lots of other cool supplies are dirt cheap bargains there! The food is great of course, try out the street vendors with pani puri's and all that other stuff. In rupees it should cost you like the equivalent of like $3 bucks at most for great tasting and filling meals. Just drink water from water bottles, NEVER DRINK TAP WATER IN INDIA EVER!!!

The cities have their good areas but for the most part, they're nothing on the quality of life scale to any of the US's top like 20 metros. Kolkata included.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,699,438 times
real estate prices are very high in india and it always go up. People in india look at buying house/land/apartment as an investment for big return. people are not satisfied by 10% return interest on bank fixed deposits-they want more and more. I have friends who in mid 30s own 2-3 apartments in different cities all from investment point of view. people have saving mentality unlike USA where it is take loan and spend spend.
But I am not sure whether you can buy property in India Calcutta being a foreign citizen unless you are non resident india-person of Indian origin who get some person of indian origin card. rules keep on changing but do some research before committing on any investment. many real estate agents will first say that you can buy property but later on it will be untrue. even US consulate Calcutta can guide you.

U.S. Citizen Services | Consulate General of the United States Kolkata, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, that is true. The pics I posted are more an indication of how good things could be in a city like Kolkata. Change is slow, but over the last 20 years these islands are becoming more and more.

Someone I know has bought me some property (a condominium) in the city near South City mall (I posted a pic of it above). That's why I've become suddenly interested. lol. It's not a bad spot for a vacation home. Now I just have to figure out how to claim my rights to the property as a U.S. citizen.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,222,840 times
Quote:
This is a city that I'm connected with in a number of ways.

What do you know about this city and what are your impressions of it?
It's a city of surreal contrasts. It has countless people that are born on, live their entire lives on, and die on the streets. The check the train stations for dead bodies each morning. It's also the city with the highest number of PhDs per capita of any city in the world. It is a crazy place.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,987,254 times
Quote:
so what separates you guys from Latin American countries like Brazil?

I saw kids playing naked and lots of poverty there too
Egads! Who cares?

These countries are second and third world anyways. Their cities are complete failures compared to American cities. That said for the scenery, culture, food, and unique aspects I still want to visit Rio de Janeiro, Brazil one day.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,646,232 times
Having been there a couple of times when I think of Kolkata I think of splendid and decrepid colonial architecture, extreme poverty and slums, dirt, vivid colours and smells ( bad and good) , terrifying traffic, The East India Company, The Mughal Empire, The railway station ( which at the time of my visits felt like an exercise in madness and futility), crowds, more crowds, never being able to find peace and quiet anywhere, wonderful food, Monsoon rains, humidity, constantly being hot and bothered, the Dakshineswar Kali Temple, street cricket . As someone who hates big cities and crowds at the best of time not perhaps the best place for me ...

Old 09-05-2012, 01:11 PM

317 posts, read 413,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's a city of surreal contrasts. It has countless people that are born on, live their entire lives on, and die on the streets. The check the train stations for dead bodies each morning. It's also the city with the highest number of PhDs per capita of any city in the world. It is a crazy place.
And if the rest of the thread is any indication, Calcutta also has highly delusional self-image problem.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
cows

Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 20 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,933,701 times
Quote:
This is a city that I'm connected with in a number of ways.

What do you know about this city and what are your impressions of it?
What is your specific connections with Kolkata, India?

I view other areas of India such as Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Himalayas, some tropical beaches, Srinagar, Punjab, Shimla, Goa etc. in a much better, more positive/optimistic, and different way than Kolkata.

Those other places appear to have most of the economic wealth for India, where a lot of the middle class, and upper class people live, even if they still have some poverty.

Kolkata seems to be one of the poorest areas of India with a lot of poverty.

I would enjoy visiting the other areas of India I mentioned, but not for Kolkata.

Plenty of people also say they have similar impressions and opinions with those places for India.

Kolkata probably does have some charm and is interesting, but it just doesn’t seem to measure up and compare to the other places of India.

Last edited by ; 09-09-2012 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World