Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Ashkenazi Jews more European or Asian?
Ashkenazi Jews are mostly European with a bit of Asian 32 50.79%
Ashkenazi Jews are roughly half Hebrew, half European 24 38.10%
Ashkenazi Jews are mostly of Asian origin but with some European 7 11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 13,985 times

Advertisements

I agree that not all Ashkenazi Jews have less than average size penises, some are hung low. But New York City prostitutes and homosexuals are the best source of this esoteric information, they agree that the Polish born Jew and the Chinaman are small in comparison to the African born immigrant.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:49 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
And, Italians and Lebanese often look different anyways. While they usually have the same skin tone (a light tan), their facial features are a bit different. Italians are more likely to have light hair and light eyes than Lebanese people. Lebanese people are likely to have curlier hair, bigger noses, and bigger-but-oval-shapes eyes.
These are generalisations. I've seen lighter skinned Lebanese people and darker, scruffier Italians. Sure, there are more light-featured Italians, but that doesn't mean Lebanese people will have bigger noses with "bigger-but-oval-shaped-eyes". People with large noses can be very fair-featured. Oh, there are tons of big-eyed people of Central-Northern European roots (the term "big blue eyes" didn't come out from nowhere).

Old 11-29-2014, 10:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
These are generalisations. I've seen lighter skinned Lebanese people and darker, scruffier Italians. Sure, there are more light-featured Italians, but that doesn't mean Lebanese people will have bigger noses with "bigger-but-oval-shaped-eyes". People with large noses can be very fair-featured. Oh, there are tons of big-eyed people of Central-Northern European roots (the term "big blue eyes" didn't come out from nowhere).
That's why I said in my post USUALLY--not always. Of course it was a generalization. Learn how to read.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:09 PM

43 posts, read 143,074 times
I just had my DNA tested, my grandmother was a Polish Jew, I have only 1% Eastern European genes, the rest is listed just as "Jewish". I am not ethnically Polish hardly at all. I do have significant Middle Eastern roots, but because my father is Italian and my mother's father was a convert to Judaism with Portuguese and North African roots, I am not sure how much is on each side. For that I need a Mitochondrial DNA test which only traces the female line. I am somewhat light skinned, but tan quickly and darkly, I have blue eyes and naturally curly dark brown hair, large lips and not a hook nose, but a fat one I've been mistaken for everything you can imagine from Russian, to Albanian, French, to Italian, To Latina, to once even half black...Which surprised me.

Further, I think it's a bit silly when people try to debate which Jews are "most real Hebrews" as I often hear, that's like asking who is a real Minoan or Roman, these ancient people were all blended into other people as is the nature of human history. Nobody is a "pure Hebrew" anymore, not even Mizrahi who mixed with other Middle Eastern peoples. I think the amount just depends on the amount of mixture. My grandmother clearly "looked Jewish", it's not likely she would have been confused as Anglo or something, however, she was not particularly dark skinned, either...And I lived in Israel and have seen Ashkenazi who are dark and look just like Sephardi and Mizrahi (I met an Iranian Jew who looked just like Daniel Pearl, the Ashkenazi journalist killed in Pakistan in 2002) and I have seen Ashkenazi who are pale with blond hair and blue eyes who look almost entirely European (don't forget, Communism made religion hard to keep and many people mixed in the last 100 years or so). Though generally speaking, Ashkenazi and Sephardi often look more alike than either does to Mizrahi. The answer is likely more simple than people may think: some mixed more than others!!!! Many of the Jewish people you think look European only is often because they are actually half Jews like myself (and many in Hollywood, also) etc.

Also, please keep in mind not everyone from the Middle East is dark like Osama Bin Laden. Just like in any other region, people's features can vary and also overlap. I know some Sicilians with blond hair and green eyes, but most of the time you think of them as darker, while I've met darker haired and eyed people in Sweden, when you think most are lighter. These are generally true, but not always, there's always some mix. However, Arabs and Yemenis tend to be the darkest part of the Middle East, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with their 1,400 year slave trade in Africa or some mix of reasons, but it's certainly true, generally speaking. Many Levant people who are not mixed with Arab are in fact pretty light skinned (Of course, like in any part of the Mediterranean, there was a lot of mixture, even then from white to black even). Look for instance at the Druze and Samaritans (who by the way share genetics with both Ashkenazi and Sephardi people), if you saw them, you would be likely to assume most were European, however, they have lived in Samaria (West Bank) for 4,000 years. Also keep in mind that Persian, Syrian and Iraqi Jews can also run from dark to light. Jerry Seinfeld is HALF Syrian Jew...Would you know it? I believe there is a common origin for all Jews, since the Lemba people who now live in Zimbabwe and look like black Africans have common genetic markers with Ashkenazi who look more European...It seems to me we left and branched out all over the world and at some point, mixed genes with other people...We certainly aren't the first or last group of people to do this!!

PS The Khazar theory is mostly pushed by anti semites and anti zionists (I'm not personally a zionist, but it's pushed by people who often have a political agenda, there is no cultural nor linguistic imprint from "Khazars" in Ashkenazi culture, The Khazars supposed conversion took place around the 9th century, there had been hundreds, if not thousands of Jewish communities throughout Europe dating back to the first century, so who were they and where did they go?! Further, the tests which claim to prove Khazar DNA are ridiculous because there are no known Khazar people today to test, it is impossible to even draw this conclusion, the samples used to compare with Jews against "Khazars" were ARMENIANS who there is no evidence have Khazar background and many Armenians also in fact have European and Middle Eastern ancestry, so it almost supports Ashkenazi being a mix of the two that we are close to Armenians genetically...For what it's worth, I only had 2% genes from that region, which could have been either Armenian or Persian, but that was it 2%).

Last edited by boredinBing; 04-11-2015 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 11:32 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
That's why I said in my post USUALLY--not always. Of course it was a generalization. Learn how to read.
How about refrain from making absurdly ignorant generalizations first and then tell people to learn how to read?

Argue all you like, Lebanese and Syrians have more in common with Italians and Greeks (Europeans) than South Asians and other Asians. They are also pretty much of the same ("Mediterranean") race. The term "Asian" refers to the continent that the Middle Easterners originate from, which is technically part of Eurasia anyway (and that includes Europe). The (rather ignorant) OP is making it out that "Asian" is somehow a "race" which includes Semites, Orientals and Indians. That's just plain erroneous.

Heck, if the Middle East was predominantly Christian, or at least more prosperous and less (religiously) violent, its countries would've been part of the EU, namely the "more" Caucasian (and Mediterranean-like) countries like mainland Turkey, Syria, Israel and Lebanon. Again, geographically, Asia and Europe are on the same continent. The "boundary" between Europe and Asia is a mountain range, not a continental plate, hence why I think the "split" between Asia and Europe, as continents, is man-made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredinBing View Post
Also, please keep in mind not everyone from the Middle East is dark like Osama Bin Laden. Just like in any other region, people's features can vary and also overlap. I know some Sicilians with blond hair and green eyes, but most of the time you think of them as darker, while I've met darker haired and eyed people in Sweden, when you think most are lighter. These are generally true, but not always, there's always some mix. However, Arabs and Yemenis tend to be the darkest part of the Middle East, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with their 1,400 year slave trade in Africa or some mix of reasons, but it's certainly true, generally speaking. Many Levant people who are not mixed with Arab are in fact pretty light skinned (Of course, like in any part of the Mediterranean, there was a lot of mixture, even then from white to black even). Look for instance at the Druze and Samaritans (who by the way share genetics with both Ashkenazi and Sephardi people), if you saw them, you would be likely to assume most were European, however, they have lived in Samaria (West Bank) for 4,000 years. Also keep in mind that Persian, Syrian and Iraqi Jews can also run from dark to light.
Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi Arabian. These are pure Arabs, as I call them. The "Arabs" from Syria, Lebanon and Jordan have Phoenician and Aramean roots, which is a Mediterranean ethnicity. They are NOT the same as Arabs from the Gulf. In fact, Phoenicians (or modern day Lebs/Syrians) have more in common with ancient Greeks and Romans, than Saudi Arabians or Gulf Arabs. Go and look at Lebanese people in general, they'll resemble Italians or Greeks more, rather than Kuwaitis or Saudis.

Yemenis and Saudis still have "Caucasian" features, such as long noses and thin lips. They're just very dark due to the position of their country and the heat (like Indians). I don't think they're related to Africans. Though there are Africans who live there - They're not natives. Just immigrants.

Light-skinned Iraqis tend to be Assyrians, Chaldeans (Christians) and Kurds (Muslims). They come from the the northern parts of the country.

Last edited by Ethereal; 04-14-2015 at 12:06 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 03:02 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
I dont think Ashkenazi jews are darker skinned than the average European, you are mixing up ashkenazi with sefardim (mediterranean jews). I have cousins who are half ashkenazi (their father is ashkenazi jewish) and they are paler and blonder than me, a full blood Christian!

Old 04-21-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
How about refrain from making absurdly ignorant generalizations first and then tell people to learn how to read?

Argue all you like, Lebanese and Syrians have more in common with Italians and Greeks (Europeans) than South Asians and other Asians. They are also pretty much of the same ("Mediterranean") race. The term "Asian" refers to the continent that the Middle Easterners originate from, which is technically part of Eurasia anyway (and that includes Europe). The (rather ignorant) OP is making it out that "Asian" is somehow a "race" which includes Semites, Orientals and Indians. That's just plain erroneous.

Heck, if the Middle East was predominantly Christian, or at least more prosperous and less (religiously) violent, its countries would've been part of the EU, namely the "more" Caucasian (and Mediterranean-like) countries like mainland Turkey, Syria, Israel and Lebanon. Again, geographically, Asia and Europe are on the same continent. The "boundary" between Europe and Asia is a mountain range, not a continental plate, hence why I think the "split" between Asia and Europe, as continents, is man-made.

Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi Arabian. These are pure Arabs, as I call them. The "Arabs" from Syria, Lebanon and Jordan have Phoenician and Aramean roots, which is a Mediterranean ethnicity. They are NOT the same as Arabs from the Gulf. In fact, Phoenicians (or modern day Lebs/Syrians) have more in common with ancient Greeks and Romans, than Saudi Arabians or Gulf Arabs. Go and look at Lebanese people in general, they'll resemble Italians or Greeks more, rather than Kuwaitis or Saudis.

Yemenis and Saudis still have "Caucasian" features, such as long noses and thin lips. They're just very dark due to the position of their country and the heat (like Indians). I don't think they're related to Africans. Though there are Africans who live there - They're not natives. Just immigrants.

Light-skinned Iraqis tend to be Assyrians, Chaldeans (Christians) and Kurds (Muslims). They come from the the northern parts of the country.
Yes, this is what I was referring to People have very preconceived notions in their heads about what "Middle Eastern" looks like without realizing different areas can vary widely. And then you have of course that Jews especially have intermarried with many other groups...They can look like anything.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I dont think Ashkenazi jews are darker skinned than the average European, you are mixing up ashkenazi with sefardim (mediterranean jews). I have cousins who are half ashkenazi (their father is ashkenazi jewish) and they are paler and blonder than me, a full blood Christian!
No I'm not confusing them, I am Ashkenazi and I have lived in Israel. What I was saying was that Jews, including Ashkenazi and Sephardi can vary widely in color and someone who is half, like myself, isn't a fair comparison...If you go to Israel only about half the time can you tell the difference between Sephardi and Ashkenazi. Some Ashkenazi look almost German, blond hair etc,. so very easy to spot. Others look very Mediterranean. Go to Israel, you will see...I have seen Syrian Jews and Druze who have pale skin and blond hair and blue eyes, this doesn't say much. Jews are Mediterranean and as such they can look like anything, just like Italians, Greeks etc. People have these ideas of how people are supposed to look from certain regions, but when they go to these regions realize how different people can be. Google image Syrians, Lebanese, Druze, these are the people native to the Mediterranean Levant, of course many mixed with Arabs, you will see lots of blond and even red hair. When you put many Ashkenazi in the Israeli climate, many look Mediterranean in no time. Even many Sephardi have said so to me. It is just misinformation in America. Americans also think all Sicilians are dark, when many have blond hair. The Mediterranean is a melting pot of people and has been for thousands of years, as such, they can look from one end of the spectrum to another.

This article talks about Sephardi and Ashekenazi Jews and the picture posted is of two men, one Ashkenazi and the other Sephardi, they don't look that different, because genetically, we're not much different. Sephardi Jews went to Spain and Portugal and Ashkenazi went to Central and Eastern Europe so we just had a little different admixtures, but we actually both went through the Roman Empire initially.
http://www.dailyslave.com/the-sephar...s-distraction/

Jews are an ethnoreligious group, which is not uncommon in the Middle East, many different of those groups, we've of course intermarried more, because of diaspora, however, Christians are a religion alone, so Christians have no phenotype and Jews phenotypes vary from lightest to darkest.

Last edited by boredinBing; 04-21-2015 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
I am Middle Eastern and Jewish, but my mom's family is Ashkenazi Jews from Netherlands and Germany who moved to the USA before the Holocaust. Most Jews in the world are Ashkenazi and look really white a lot of them have blonde/brownish hair and blue eyes and fair skin. Jews that are Israeli or Persian or other Middle Eastern descent look darker and generally can pass as Arabs or any other Middle Eastern descent. Middle Eastern people thou are generally considered white by the US Census. Religion is killing the Middle East right not race which is sad being that I am part Christian and part Jews. Its sad whats going on Syria and Iraq right now.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am Middle Eastern and Jewish, but my mom's family is Ashkenazi Jews from Netherlands and Germany who moved to the USA before the Holocaust. Most Jews in the world are Ashkenazi and look really white a lot of them have blonde/brownish hair and blue eyes and fair skin. Jews that are Israeli or Persian or other Middle Eastern descent look darker and generally can pass as Arabs or any other Middle Eastern descent. Middle Eastern people thou are generally considered white by the US Census. Religion is killing the Middle East right not race which is sad being that I am part Christian and part Jews. Its sad whats going on Syria and Iraq right now.

Yes but you are talking about Mizrahi who look much more Middle Eastern than most Ashkenazi or Sephardi are often in the middle. I lived in Israel also, the only Jews I could ALWAYS tell apart were the Mizrahi. Like I said, I have seen Ashkenazi that run the blond type and the more Italian/Mediterranean type. The guy who played Borat, can't think of his name is Ashkenazi, as is Brad Garrett, another actor...They are not unusual to see Ashkenazi like this in Israel. It really depends. Israeli Jews can look like anything because they come from all over the world, many Israelis are Ashkenazi, but about half are Sephardi and Mizrahi. You have to remember there's a lot of mixing in the America, about 50% of Jews are married to other white ethnic groups...So you don't know how mixed people are.

Yes, the Middle East is just one sad mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World