Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Ashkenazi Jews more European or Asian?
Ashkenazi Jews are mostly European with a bit of Asian 32 50.79%
Ashkenazi Jews are roughly half Hebrew, half European 24 38.10%
Ashkenazi Jews are mostly of Asian origin but with some European 7 11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:39 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,480,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredinBing View Post
Yes but you are talking about Mizrahi who look much more Middle Eastern than most Ashkenazi or Sephardi are often in the middle. I lived in Israel also, the only Jews I could ALWAYS tell apart were the Mizrahi. Like I said, I have seen Ashkenazi that run the blond type and the more Italian/Mediterranean type. It really depends.
True true I agree with you. I am a mix of Sephardic and Ashkenazi people in the states people often think I am Latino and Middle Eastern, lot of Jews are mixing with other European ancestry so its hard to tell who is what these days. I have a lot of Christians in my family as well.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 PM

43 posts, read 143,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
True true I agree with you. I am a mix of Sephardic and Ashkenazi people in the states people often think I am Latino and Middle Eastern, lot of Jews are mixing with other European ancestry so its hard to tell who is what these days. I have a lot of Christians in my family as well.
Yes, it's from all the recent mixing. I'm also half Italian Christian father...So I am a hard one to figure out what I am...I have blue eyes though, so people usually assume I'm white, though I've gotten some odd ones before Like I edited into my comment, in Israel I see a lot of men who look similar to the Borat guy, Sacha Baron Cohen, I believe, and I can never tell if they are Ashkenazi or Sephardi lol. I think Americans have very rigid ideas of what people look like and need to get out more sometimes

Full Ashkenazi:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/4918882/1/

Last edited by boredinBing; 04-21-2015 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 09:33 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,770,555 times
They don't look Chinese at all

Old 04-23-2015, 01:11 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,708,745 times
The vast majority of the Israeli people are of Ashkenazi origin, they are not Semites, the Palestinians are! For example Benjamin Netanyahu's original family name was Mileikowsky. The Family changed it when they left Lithuania because it didn't sound Jewish enough.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:25 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,452,487 times
[quote=callmemaybe;25824923]Ethnic Ashkenazi Jewish people definitely have a distinct look but the same time, they look quite similar to Italians, Southern French, and Alpine German-speaking people and also to Greeks.

Though some Jewish people have darker skin and tan well, some of the palest people I've ever seen have been Ashkenazi Jews. In fact redheadedness was associated with Jewishness in some times and places.

Do you think overall their genetic makeup is more Middle Eastern or native to Europe?[/QU

Studies based on whole genome show that the Ashkenazi Jews to be a fusion of European and Asian (Middle-East) people. Their European admixtures varying from 30-60%, with northern Italians showing the closest proximity to them than any other European group.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:55 AM

11 posts, read 12,399 times
Default A Mixture of 90%->10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
European, not Middle Eastern who are Sephardic. And not Asian, they are European.
---------------------
You got the Sephardi part right, but......

1- White/Turkish-Mongolian mixture: Eastern European Ashkenazim jews now have an approx. mixture of 5% Mongolian remnant.
(my guess)

2- Because: Over the many centuries the E. European genes were re-bred thus producing what we see today. All the Ashkenazim have the remnants of the approx. 5% Mongolian look. You can
recognize the Asian look in people like Jerry Seinfeld, Mr. Spock(star trek RIP), Sumner Redstone,Michael Eisner,Oliver Stone,larry king, many,many others....(all Khazar converted jews; not the jews of the bible but of Khazaria in the Caucus Mt. region) Oh No

Old 12-04-2016, 05:38 PM

170 posts, read 106,779 times
It depends on the person. I'm Ashkenazi Jewish from both parents, and genetically I'm 87% Jewish (I've taken an Ancestry DNA Test). That being said, 87% is a higher than normal number. Most Ashkenazi Jews are on average around 60-70% Jewish by genetics.

Due to the Jewish Diaspora out of Israel during the Roman era, Jews that started to move into Europe occasionally intermarried with other Europeans. This was most prevalent with Jews who lived in cities. Whereas Jews who lived in shtetls (Jewish villages) intermarried with other Jews, thus breeding Jews who are more Jewish by genetics.

It's an interesting topic really.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:42 PM

170 posts, read 106,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The vast majority of the Israeli people are of Ashkenazi origin, they are not Semites, the Palestinians are! For example Benjamin Netanyahu's original family name was Mileikowsky. The Family changed it when they left Lithuania because it didn't sound Jewish enough.
That's because his last name is Yiddish, the language that was developed with European-Jewish culture.

Netanyahu among most European Jews is definitely to an extent European. But, Ashkenazi Jews are mostly Jews who have intermarriage in their families with other Europeans.

I'm Ashkenazi Jewish, but genetically I'm 87%; A higher than average number. People always tell me I look Mediterranean, especially Italian, Greek, or Arab. I've even had Arabs on several occasions think that I was Arab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World