Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Ashkenazi Jews more European or Asian?
Ashkenazi Jews are mostly European with a bit of Asian 32 50.79%
Ashkenazi Jews are roughly half Hebrew, half European 24 38.10%
Ashkenazi Jews are mostly of Asian origin but with some European 7 11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times

Advertisements

Ethnic Ashkenazi Jewish people definitely have a distinct look but the same time, they look quite similar to Italians, Southern French, and Alpine German-speaking people and also to Greeks.

Though some Jewish people have darker skin and tan well, some of the palest people I've ever seen have been Ashkenazi Jews. In fact redheadedness was associated with Jewishness in some times and places.

Do you think overall their genetic makeup is more Middle Eastern or native to Europe?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Middle Eastern and European, but not Asian.
Ashkenazi Jews are Middle Eastern & European hybrids | Gene Expression | Discover Magazine

Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 AM

734 posts, read 932,612 times
By all accounts, Ashkenazi Jews are Eastern Europeans.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Middle Easterners ARE Asians.

And good article.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Just about every Jewish person in the US has some non-Jewish ancestry, just like over 75% of black people in America have at least 1 white ancestor.

However most American Jews I've seen do look more white than Middle Eastern, I've never mistakened a Jew for an Arab, Iranian, or Pakistani before, but I've mistakened a Jew for an Italian or Greek. I'm surprised to hear red hair was once associated with Jewishness. I've always associated it with being Irish.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm surprised to hear red hair was once associated with Jewishness. I've always associated it with being Irish.
Actually ... Hebrew and Gaelic sound kind of similar to me, and Celts were very present in Asia Minor (I suspect that the Turkish word 'kara', meaning 'dark', is related to the Irish feminine name Ciara which means 'black hair'), so maybe a genetic connection between Celtic and Jewish people is remotely possible?

Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Red hair is a more broadly expressed trait than blonde. That is, red hair crops up in a very diverse set of gene populations, and not just the fairer skinned ones. There are a lot of red heads in the Rhineland which may account for its fairly high rate in American Jews, but I'm not sure.

As far as the Celt/Asia Minor connection, the Celts are primarily distinguished as a linguistic/cultural group, not a genetic one. The identifying cultural features of Celtic culture arose in central Europe (The Hallstatt and La Tene cultures) during the early Iron age and 'exported' their culture to various genetically unrelated European populations such as the indigenous peoples of the British Isles. The Anatolian Celts, Galatians, may or may not have had a significant genetic relationship to the Halstatt and La Tene peoples in Europe.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

As far as the Celt/Asia Minor connection, the Celts are primarily distinguished as a linguistic/cultural group, not a genetic one. The identifying cultural features of Celtic culture arose in central Europe (The Hallstatt and La Tene cultures) during the early Iron age and 'exported' their culture to various genetically unrelated European populations such as the indigenous peoples of the British Isles. The Anatolian Celts, Galatians, may or may not have had a significant genetic relationship to the Halstatt and La Tene peoples in Europe.
So the real original Celts are actually German-speaking Swiss and Austrians right?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
The Ashkenazi that live in Europe and Western countries are more European than Asian. In addition their original language is Yiddish and is like German. The Ashkenazi that live in Israel are more Asian as they live in Asia.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Interesting that red hair is associated with Jews in the US. I remember watching Fiddler on the Roof, which has a red haired character, and thinking to myself, 'but Jews don't have red hair, do they?'

Most American Jews look on the European side imo. Many have light hair and eyes. Jeff Goldblum or someone is an example of someone who still looks very Middle Eastern to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World