Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Québécois are similar to Californians? Really?

Not saying they are exactly like people in France (more like a mix between France and the U.S.), but...

My kids have a Larousse and a Bescherelle in their school bag, they have Shy'm, Inna Modja, Manau and Ella Ella and Voyage Voyage on their iPods, they read Astérix, Tintin, Lucky Luke and Mélusine, they know Samantha Oups.... Not exactly everyday stuff in California.
I agree and it is similar to what I said in the post above this one. Quebec appears to be a mix of Canada, France, and Northeast/Midwest parts of the USA. I don’t see how it would have much if any Western USA Californian connections.

Do you officially live in Quebec province? I thought you said before that you live directly in Ottawa Canada Ontario province.

Then again, a lot of the metropolitan area and northern suburbs of Ottawa is in Quebec while the rest of it is Ontario. Kind of surprising to me since I associate Ottawa as very Ontario, but it is closer to Montreal in geographic distance than to Toronto and parts of Ottawa is in both Ontario and Quebec.

Maybe Quebec could become the newest overseas collectivity and territory of France. If Reunion, New Caledonia, and Polynesia can randomly have that status, then Quebec certainly can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:59 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I already know France has a lot of variation between regions, including within Metropolitan Mainland France.

I just can’t see how the island of Reunion is much closer to France culturally than the Quebec Province of Canada for plenty of reasons.
Why you can't see ?
I lived in Reunion island, much of the life is almost the same that in mainland France.

Listen Reunion island population has always been part of France (before the island was empty).
They have same education, the same laws, the same institution, the same political organisation, they read and watch the same things that in mainland France.
The same cannot be said for Quebec.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Why you can't see ?
I lived in Reunion island, much of the life is almost the same that in mainland France.

Listen Reunion island population has always been part of France (before the island was empty).
They have same education, the same laws, the same institution, the same political organisation, they read and watch the same things that in mainland France.
The same cannot be said for Quebec.
Personally I agree that places like La Réunion have more in common with France in everyday life since they are part of France administratively. And Quebec is not - and hasn't been since 1763.

My earlier response was simply to say that it is simply not true that Quebec has zero in common with France, and that it is more similar to any U.S. state picked at random simply by virtue of its location on the North American continent.

Now, when it comes to the ethnic makeup of the population, sure, Quebec is likely more "French" in origin - if you take the narrow definition of people with names like Dupont, Moreau, etc. - than most of the overseas DOM-TOMs, perhaps with the exception of St-Pierre-et-Miquelon. Quebec might even be more "French" in this way than certain départements in the Hexagone (continental European France).

Of course, people don't define nationality in this way anymore...

Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Maybe Quebec could become the newest overseas collectivity and territory of France. If Reunion, New Caledonia, and Polynesia can randomly have that status, then Quebec certainly can.
Not likely. Quebec hasn't been administratively part of the French state structure since 1763. While the language is still French as are some of the culture and behaviours, institutionally it is more British (and then successively Canadian) than it is French.

If Quebec ever were to become independent, I am sure that the ties with France would be strengthened and there would be increasing alliances. But never to the point of becoming an overseas départment or whatever. Quebec is just too big (15% of France's population and four times the land), plus Québécois have a very strong sense of who they are - they don't see themselves as Frenchmen marooned in North America at all. No more than Americans see themselves as British or Mexicans see themselves as Spaniards.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Québécois are similar to Californians? Really?

Not saying they are exactly like people in France (more like a mix between France and the U.S.), but...

My kids have a Larousse and a Bescherelle in their school bag, they have Shy'm, Inna Modja, Manau and Ella Ella and Voyage Voyage on their iPods, they read Astérix, Tintin, Lucky Luke and Mélusine, they know Samantha Oups.... Not exactly everyday stuff in California.
I have always believed that Quebec was culturally very similar to France, and more close to Europe than to US. It's a guess, I've never been to Canada.

But I don't see those examples as an obvious connection with France. I thought that many of those things were fairly widespread in the world, at least in Western society. In Spain, at least, are common.

I'm surprised that to read Asterix, Tintin and Lucky Luck is not something you see every day in California.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
I have always believed that Quebec was culturally very similar to France, and more close to Europe than to US. It's a guess, I've never been to Canada.

But I don't see those examples as an obvious connection with France. I thought that many of those things were fairly widespread in the world, at least in Western society. In Spain, at least, are common.

I'm surprised that to read Asterix, Tintin and Lucky Luck is not something you see every day in California.
No, just with respect to comic books Astérix, Lucky Luke and the other large hard-cover comic books (Gaston Lagaffe, Spirou, Johan et Pirlouit, etc.) are not very well-known in North America. Except for Quebec where they are the "mainstream" comics. The only place in North America where this is the case.

Most Americans had never even heard of Tintin before Spielberg produced his movie last year, and even then the movie was not a great success in the U.S. because most people could not identify with the character.

Like in many other areas of culture, the U.S. has its own domestic comic book culture, which are smaller soft cover puiblications by companies like DC Comics and Marvel Comics. These are the companies that gave the world superheroes like Superman, Spiderman and Batman...

Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Do you officially live in Quebec province? I thought you said before that you live directly in Ottawa Canada Ontario province.

Then again, a lot of the metropolitan area and northern suburbs of Ottawa is in Quebec while the rest of it is Ontario. Kind of surprising to me since I associate Ottawa as very Ontario, but it is closer to Montreal in geographic distance than to Toronto and parts of Ottawa is in both Ontario and Quebec.
Yes, I live in Quebec. Right next to Ottawa, Ontario but in Quebec.

The City of Ottawa does not extend into Quebec. Ottawa is entirely within Ontario.

But Ottawa along with the neighbouring City of Gatineau in Quebec forms the Ottawa-Gatineau metropolitan area.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
These places are interesting to me--not just in how similar they are in France, but in general. Is there anyone in this forum who lives/lived on them and have a pretty idea of how thing are in these places? Any pictures or travel journals?

I'm especially interested in New Caledonia given its size and unique biogeography.

And for Acajack in particular, does it seem fairly common for Quebecois to vacation or even immigrate to these places? Or to have visitors from those parts to Quebec?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
And for Acajack in particular, does it seem fairly common for Quebecois to vacation or even immigrate to these places? Or to have visitors from those parts to Quebec?
Few people travel from Quebec to the DOM-TOMs. Even St-Pierre-et-Miquelon, which is not that far away but fairly difficult to access. I know a few people who have gone there just to see what it's like.

Also Martinique and Guadeloupe are high-end sunshine destinations for the winter-weary, but they are expensive since they are "France" and have European-style cost of living. The masses go to Cuba, Dominican Republic and Mexico which are less expensive and also closer.

European France, on the other hand, is a very popular destination for people in Quebec. Especially in the summer.

St-Pierre-et-Miquelon has a small population of 10,000 or less, so that doesn't make a big splash in big cities like Montreal. Still, I believe there are some people from SPM (funny acronym in French BTW!) who go to university in Quebec.

Other than that we don't really see people from the DOM-TOMs that much here.

Although one guy did pop up on Quebec's version of the talent show Star Académie earlier this year. (He immigrated from La Réunion to Montreal.)

Mike Lee - Je suis malade - YouTube

Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
^ Asterix and Tintin were very popular here in Australia when I was a kid, we also got a lot of Canadian children's television for some reason. Babar was also popular on TV. No idea if they are popular in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World