Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 PM

26,809 posts, read 37,853,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Asterix and Tintin were very popular here in Australia when I was a kid, we also got a lot of Canadian children's television for some reason. Babar was also popular on TV. No idea if they are popular in the US?
Hardly known. The only one of those hardcover European (actually mostly Belgian) large comic books that is well-known in the U.S. is the Smurfs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,920,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hardly known. The only one of those hardcover European (actually mostly Belgian) large comic books that is well-known in the U.S. is the Smurfs.
Not even the Tintin animated series? I mean they made a CGI movie recently, so most Americans hadn't heard of him before?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 PM

26,809 posts, read 37,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Not even the Tintin animated series? I mean they made a CGI movie recently, so most Americans hadn't heard of him before?
I wouldn't say so. A few months ago I started a thread about stuff that people in various countries had ever heard of, and most Americans had never heard of Tintin until the movie. This is what I have observed also and it is quite well-known in the francophone world that the American market is impenetrable to European comics (except the Smurfs). Also, most English Canadians probably don't know Tintin either, although the numbers are probably higher than in the U.S. because it is frequently used in French classes in school that all Canadians take. So they get some exposure there.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,980,470 times
Aside from speaking french, eating baguettes, I found the polynesian culture pretty strongly preserved in Tahiti and I thank god for that. I've driven all over Tahiti and spent a little time in Moorea.
Culture is hard to quantify so its really hard to judge.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,967,390 times
Anyway it is hard to say. Most people are not white over there. I knew a guy from New Caledonia and at first glance I thought he was white as he had light skin and light coloured eyes. However he was a very mixed race person.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM

5,052 posts, read 13,891,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Why you can't see ?
I lived in Reunion island, much of the life is almost the same that in mainland France.

Listen Reunion island population has always been part of France (before the island was empty).
They have same education, the same laws, the same institution, the same political organisation, they read and watch the same things that in mainland France.
The same cannot be said for Quebec.
A lot of people just find it difficult to imagine Reunion being similar to parts of Metropolitan Mainland France because of Reunion’s geographic location in the Southwest Indian Ocean near Madagascar, Mauritius, and Southeast Africa.

That is very rare to encounter someone that lived in Reunion and that sounds fascinating if you did live there! How was your experience with Reunion? Do you find that island to have some good qualities about it, and is Reunion a worthwhile inviting place for international tourists to visit?

We do have to keep in mind the variation in the 22 regions of Metropolitan mainland France: Provence Cote d’ Azur, Rhone-Alpes, Ile-de-France, Nord-Pas de Calais, Languedoc-Roussillion, Midi-Pyrenees, Lorraine, Alsace, Aquitaine, Corsica, Franche-Comte, Champagne-Ardenne, Burgandy, Auvergne, Normandy, Picardy, Poitou-Charantes etc. Regions of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reunion is certainly more similar to Corsica Island of Southeast France than Quebec, so I don’t have doubts for that. Maybe that is also true for rural parts of mainland Southeast/South/Southwest France.

However, for most of the other parts of France, especially in the more urban areas, it just seems Quebec is more similar to that than Reunion is.

Does Reunion have some of the urban culture, vibrancy, and amenities of Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Nice, Lille, Toulouse, Grenoble, Cannes, Strasbourg, Bayonne etc.? Montreal in Quebec appears to come closer to that than Reunion.

France has a total of 27 official regions, 5 of them being overseas: Reunion, Mayotte, Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guiana.

I wonder why New Caledonia, and French Polynesia appear to have a different status from those 5 overseas regions? Do they have a bit more independence/autonomy than those overseas regions?

Last edited by *******; 09-15-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-24-2016, 02:24 AM

39 posts, read 38,925 times
Hello everyone
The french department of saint pierre and miquelon has been forgotten I see
I give for you information link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World