Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,220 times

Advertisements

This is my first post on city-data forums in a long time. I've been reading these forums for a while now and it's given me some interesting insight into different cities in the US as well as different countries.

Anyways, here's my situation. I'm a single male, 31 and an engineer. I have some money saved up over the years and well...am kinda bored with my job and feel like I need a change. It feels stagnant and dull. I've lived throughout the US, and while that's been great, for years I've been interested in living abroad for a year or two - South America, Europe, Asia, or Australia/New Zealand. I'm open to different possibilities. Unfortunately I don't know any languages other than English so that may limit possibilities . I think I could try to learn another language (and would love to do so), but I'm not deluded into thinking I can learn a language very quickly.

Anyways, anyone have any recommendations on which countries to look into? Or how to start looking? As I said, I have no real things holding me back. I'm just looking for a few adventures as well as gaining international work experience and earning some money along the way. I'm not certain I'd want to relocate or settle in a different country permanently (I do have my family and friends here in the US). I know I may possibly take a pay cut. That's OK, but I'd like for the work to be somewhat related (I considered working holiday visas in Aus/NZ a while ago but I got the impression most of those jobs were tourism/hospitality related)...Besides, I'm over 30 so I'm not eligible for those anymore.

Oh, BTW I'm an electrical engineer working in the automotive industry. I'm of Indian ethnicity (born there but grew up in the US), so if your going to suggest a place, I'd prefer it's fairly tolerant and not filled with racist crazies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 03:32 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,853,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiyama View Post
I'm a single male, 31 and an engineer.

Oh, BTW I'm an electrical engineer working in the automotive industry.
You are a tad late. You have missed the closing date.
Anyways, here is the site.
http://www.contactsingapore.sg/electronicsVCF2012

Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 AM

5,052 posts, read 13,886,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiyama View Post
This is my first post on city-data forums in a long time. I've been reading these forums for a while now and it's given me some interesting insight into different cities in the US as well as different countries.

Anyways, here's my situation. I'm a single male, 31 and an engineer. I have some money saved up over the years and well...am kinda bored with my job and feel like I need a change. It feels stagnant and dull. I've lived throughout the US, and while that's been great, for years I've been interested in living abroad for a year or two - South America, Europe, Asia, or Australia/New Zealand. I'm open to different possibilities. Unfortunately I don't know any languages other than English so that may limit possibilities . I think I could try to learn another language (and would love to do so), but I'm not deluded into thinking I can learn a language very quickly.

Anyways, anyone have any recommendations on which countries to look into? Or how to start looking? As I said, I have no real things holding me back. I'm just looking for a few adventures as well as gaining international work experience and earning some money along the way. I'm not certain I'd want to relocate or settle in a different country permanently (I do have my family and friends here in the US). I know I may possibly take a pay cut. That's OK, but I'd like for the work to be somewhat related (I considered working holiday visas in Aus/NZ a while ago but I got the impression most of those jobs were tourism/hospitality related)...Besides, I'm over 30 so I'm not eligible for those anymore.

Oh, BTW I'm an electrical engineer working in the automotive industry. I'm of Indian ethnicity (born there but grew up in the US), so if your going to suggest a place, I'd prefer it's fairly tolerant and not filled with racist crazies...
Your story for this appears similar to my views about this related thread topic that I further described here: //www.city-data.com/forum/world...-studying.html

It sounds like a good idea and aspiration to try out with being an American and looking for a change with living and working internationally.

It is definitely realistic and possible but it does take some effort, research, and luck to make it happen.

The career you have is compatible and favorable with international living because plenty of countries have a high demand for those type of jobs (electrical engineer working in the automotive industry) and it is easy to transfer that work to another country.

There is plenty of great countries to choose from with plenty to offer where you can find lots of inspiration, and excitement.

I enjoy the USA while also enjoying plenty of other countries simultaneously. At the minimum, I would say it is at least 25 countries I would enjoy living in, and at the maximum amount maybe up to around 60 countries.

These are the top 25 countries related to that, at least for my preferences: France, UK/England, China, Japan, Thailand, Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Taiwan, Singapore, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Canada, South Korea, India, Vietnam, Australia, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic, Sweden, Norway, Malaysia, Argentina.

I plan to try to live in one of those countries within 4 to 10 years later for at least a few years. I am 21 years old so I have plenty of time to make that happen eventually.

Good luck on your aspiration and dream of living somewhere else internationally! That is well worth the time to go with that life plan and try it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World