Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,947,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Adult lifetime cannabis use by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The low rate in some seemingly liberal nations like Sweden, with only 12% using it in their lifetime
Sweden is far from liberal in this respect. They have some of the harshest drug laws in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 01:04 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,104,867 times
I would like to see how Canada's alleged 40% of cannabis users breaks down by age group. At 20 I could see that high a percentage among people I knew, but at 40 hardly anyone I know smokes it anymore. Most people I do know that still smoke it regularly are burned-out ne'er do wells or lowlife criminals who seem to be somewhat lacking in common sense and cognitive reasoning abilities (likely because long-term abuse of marijuana tends to turn your brain into mush). They are mainly employed at menial, unfulfilling jobs, seem to lack any ambition whatsoever to change their station in life and are just as likely to abuse Oxy, MDMA, coke or any number of other drugs when the opportunity presents itself.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:06 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,854,232 times
Smoking the odd joint socially and taking mdma at say a rave now and again hardly makes you "burned-out ne'er do wells or lowlife criminals who seem to be somewhat lacking in common sense and cognitive reasoning abilities"

Old 09-01-2012, 03:18 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,534,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I would like to see how Canada's alleged 40% of cannabis users breaks down by age group. At 20 I could see that high a percentage among people I knew, but at 40 hardly anyone I know smokes it anymore. Most people I do know that still smoke it regularly are burned-out ne'er do wells or lowlife criminals who seem to be somewhat lacking in common sense and cognitive reasoning abilities (likely because long-term abuse of marijuana tends to turn your brain into mush). They are mainly employed at menial, unfulfilling jobs, seem to lack any ambition whatsoever to change their station in life and are just as likely to abuse Oxy, MDMA, coke or any number of other drugs when the opportunity presents itself.
The statistics are for the percentage of people who have ever tried the drug in their life, not how many smoke it regularly. So if a 40 year old tried it when they were twenty, they would be counted.

This is the list that tells you what percentage of people smoked it in the last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_...use_by_country

I think the anglospheric nations have a higher percentage because cannabis became very popular in them during the 1960's so there's more older folks around who'd admit to having tried it? For example, my link shows that people in the Czech Republic have a higher annual cannabis use the Canadians do, but they rank lower in the lifetime use list, perhaps because their older generations didn't have as much access to it during the communist era.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,600,295 times
Quote:
Mexico's 7% or so is pretty surprising, as well.
This isn't really surprising to me. Ordinary Mexicans are not big drug users/abuses. In fact, drug experimentation and use is probably more taboo there than in the United States. Just because a lot of narcotics are grown, developed and shipped through Mexico does NOT mean that drug usage is so common among the everyday citizen of Mexico.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 AM

326 posts, read 1,041,774 times
Smoking weed is very common among young people in the UK and is not really frown upon - if smoked in moderation - even among older people in liberal, urban circles.

However I get the impression it is even more of a thing in the States and Canada - perhaps because licencing (alcohol) laws are stricter? It's easier for teenagers to get stoned than drunk - whereas in England the opposite is true.

Another difference I have noticed is that here in Europe it's nearly always smoked mixed with tobacco - whereas across the Atlantic it's smoked neat.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 AM

254 posts, read 316,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
However I get the impression it is even more of a thing in the States and Canada - perhaps because licencing (alcohol) laws are stricter?
Curiously the US and Canada are almost polar opposites in this regard.

Drinking age is 18-19 (varies by Province) in Canada. Marijuana use is technically illegal but "often unenforced" as Wikipedia says.

Quote:
-A July 13, 2007, decision in Ontario Provincial court has ruled that criminal possession laws for cannabis are unconstitutional (R. v. Long). However, Toronto police spokesman Mark Pugash said that nothing will change about how the police deal with marijuana possession for the time being.

-Possession of cannabis is not illegal in Canada according to Justice Edmonson of the Ontario Court of Justice in R. v. Bodnar/Hall/Spasic - "there is no offence known to law which the accused have committed."
Legality of cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the US the drinking age is 21 and the drug war rages on.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times
^ A bit off topic but I always wonder the 'drinking age' in different countries. In Australia, under-18's can still drink under the supervision of a parent or guardian, is this the case in the US? I can you drink a can of beer if dad says it's okay and supervises you?

Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM

254 posts, read 316,500 times
Legal drinking age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,609,695 times
When I was under 18 I would have a 'snowball' around Christmas.. I think a lot of under 18's do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World