Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

The United States is quite old as a modern state...

Italy has only existed since the 1861.

Germany dates back to 1871.

Greece, since 1822.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
The United States is quite old as a modern state...
And Russian Federation was founded only two decades ago. Somebody on this forum actually said that Russia is a very young country.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
History transcends national identity. Iran has existed as a country for only a half a century, but has a history as rich and long as any country in the world. Germany and Italy didn't become united countries until the late 1800s. Lithuania was the biggest country in Europe in the 14th century, and twice since then has ceased to exist and been reestablished. Portugal is the oldest country in Europe, in terms of its present borders, continuous sovereignty and national identity.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No, it just means that the cultures of these nations are less valued or are not as highly regarded as they are in Europe.
I think you're right.

When I read about why people come to live in or visit my home country of Canada they usually don't cite cultural aspects but living and economic conditions.

I can understand why.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No, it just means that the cultures of these nations are less valued or are not as highly regarded as they are in Europe.
Right.

I always am amused when people talk about "when Columbus discovered America." (Or whichever European - take your pick.)

The natives certainly didn't consider it "the new world."

And to add insult to injury, Europeans considered them savages. Yes - the same people who would pronounce a sentence of "drawing and quartering," or "having your entrails removed while you were yet still alive, and burned in front of you" had the audacity to label others as savages.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mireille90 View Post
Whenever I read some user comments in the commentary sections of many British online news sites and forums I constantly read that some people claim that countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, United States, etc. lack both history & culture because they've only existed for a few hundred years, disregarding the history of the pre-existing indigenous people who had little-to-no say in how their lands were managed during colonisation.

What are your opinions on this claim?

Is it true that countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, United States lack both history and culture because they've only been in existence for a few hundred years?

I think your perspective may be slightly skewed here. You are right, the British do have a very strong sense of their own history and culture because it is all right there for you to see. It is easy to explore our history because we have so much visual evidence going way back to the Roman invasion and beyond all of which kind of brings history alive. Also we have a piece of living history right there in front of us in the Monarchy. Its hard to get away from.
However, that's not to say that the British have a view that other countries lack history and culture prior to colonisation. I'd say we are equally interested in the culture and history of the indigenous people when we visit other places. I remember as tourist years ago making a point of visiting one of the Navajo reservations in Utah for example. I'd agree its a shame more is not done to celebrate these indigenous cultures.
I don't think countries lack culture "because they've only been in existence for a few hundred years" - they bring their own history and culture with them to form new ones. I think this may be your perspective, not ours.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM

272 posts, read 907,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mireille90 View Post
Whenever I read some user comments in the commentary sections of many British online news sites and forums I constantly read that some people claim that countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, United States, etc. lack both history & culture because they've only existed for a few hundred years, disregarding the history of the pre-existing indigenous people who had little-to-no say in how their lands were managed during colonisation.

What are your opinions on this claim?

Is it true that countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, United States lack both history and culture because they've only been in existence for a few hundred years?
Not really, it all depends of the educational system of the country. For example, there are very old countries in which most people ignore their inmediate and remote past and their culture, and they only eat popcorns watching some Hollywodd blockbuster, or their minds are corroded with soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World