Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 10:28 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,260,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I think because Houston is a reasonably big city it has to been a international city. Yet there's large cities in Asia it is literally Unknown some bigger than Houston...

Houston, International LOL

Exactly same with the UK Leicester is suppose to be very diverse yet who's heard of Leicester, England?

Edinburgh is more international (the Rome of the North ) yet its much more homogenous.

Have you spent much time in Houston? Do you know much about the industry base in Houston?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,902,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
All of Texas's major cities are VERY international. The problem is that some Europeans think that they are the extent of what is considered "international". To a person from Equador or Panama - Houston is every bit as international as Chicago or San Fran.
Lol...seriously? Dream on. Houston is a rising star, yes, but still far behind the big leagues of Chicago, San Francisco, and especially New York.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Actually, according to a recent study conducted by Rice University, Houston is the most ethnically diverse city in the United States.

In Houston, America's Diverse Future Has Already Arrived : It's All Politics : NPR

From the article:

Quote:
The city's transformation to an international megalopolis happened quickly, and only within the past few decades. As the metro area shot to nearly 6 million people, 93 percent of all that growth was non-white.

"Houston runs about 10, 15 years ahead of Texas, 30 years ahead of the U.S., in terms of ethnic diversity and immigration flows," Emerson says. "So it is fundamentally transformed in a way that all of America shall transform."
Houston ranks #5 out of American cities when it comes to number of international immigrants moving there per year - ahead of both San Francisco and Chicago by the way. The only cities whose international immigration numbers outpace Houston are New York, Miami, Los Angeles, and DC.
Census 2013 Immigration City Map - Business Insider

And lest you assume that Latinos make up the largest ethnic group in Houston, here's a breakdown of the races and ethnic groups that make up the population of the Houston area.
http://www.houston.org/pdf/research/...t_Forecast.pdf

Just for some perspective.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:54 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,663,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I guess they call "international" to a place inhabited by people from different countries, which I find quite absurd.
I think for Americans 50% white, 40% Mexican and 10% African-American is "international".

But an European city which is 10% Finnish, 10% Danish, 10% French, 10% Italian, 10% Slovak, 10% British, 10% Russian, 10% Hungarian, 10% Irish and 10% Spanish is "homogenous", as the census says 100% white. And Europe is all the same anyway, it's just skin colour that matters.

Best regards,

A city of 185k people where 150 languages are spoken at home.

---

No, wait, I'm gonna be more mean. To even call this a "city" is absurd. Houston is a 6 million strong suburb. Even Orwell or H P Lovecraft couldn't invent something that terrible.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:12 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,902,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Actually, according to a recent study conducted by Rice University, Houston is the most ethnically diverse city in the United States.

In Houston, America's Diverse Future Has Already Arrived : It's All Politics : NPR

From the article:

Houston ranks #5 out of American cities when it comes to number of international immigrants moving there per year - ahead of both San Francisco and Chicago by the way. The only cities whose international immigration numbers outpace Houston are New York, Miami, Los Angeles, and DC.
Census 2013 Immigration City Map - Business Insider

And lest you assume that Latinos make up the largest ethnic group in Houston, here's a breakdown of the races and ethnic groups that make up the population of the Houston area.
http://www.houston.org/pdf/research/...t_Forecast.pdf

Just for some perspective.
I think you're confusing diversity with international. International more or less hints at the city's global and international presence and recognition, which while Houston isn't a nobody, it is definitely not yet on the top radar of foreigners. It does have a lot of international traffic, but still falls greatly behind other cities.

And let's be honest, most of the immigrants moving to Houston are Mexicans, one nationality primarily.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I think you're confusing diversity with international. International more or less hints at the city's global and international presence and recognition, which while Houston isn't a nobody, it is definitely not yet on the top radar of foreigners. It does have a lot of international traffic, but still falls greatly behind other cities.

And let's be honest, most of the immigrants moving to Houston are Mexicans, one nationality primarily.
Nope. I'm not confused about terminology at all. I'm pretty familiar with Houston and what it offers in the way of an international presence. And by the way, I'm not limiting my definition of what makes an international city to YOUR definition, though for the record, I never claimed that Houston's global presence or recognition rivals places such as London, Paris, etc - in fact, I said just the opposite. I stated clearly that Houston is a young city compared to such ancient and well known cities and ISN'T as well known on the international scene. That doesn't change the fact that Houston has a very international flair to it due to it's large immigrant population, which includes numerous vibrant ethnic groups and communities - not just the Latino community.

I gave you the link to the exact demographics of the different ethnic groups living in Houston. Yes, there is a large Latino bloc (like any city in Texas) of about 35 percent but there is also a large population of Asians as well as Africans, due to the strong presence of both oil and gas as well as medical organizations and companies. Many, many other ethnic groups and nationalities immigrate to and build successful lives and careers in Houston each year.

I also provided a link that shows that when it comes to the sheer number of IMMIGRANTS (not "international traffic" but people who move there to live), Houston outpaces all but four other US cities, three of which are significantly larger than Houston. Yes, it outpaces both San Francisco and Chicago by the way - two cities that people often assume would have more immigrants than a place like Houston.

Houston is a very underrated city, but that's OK by Houstonians, and Texans - natives and immigrants alike.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:10 PM

1,471 posts, read 2,065,977 times
The only people in the world that I ever met that knew Houston and were always talking about Houston, and many got their oil degrees there were Venezuelans. I guess the city is popular among oil producers.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,264,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I think because Houston is a reasonably big city it has to been a international city. Yet there's large cities in Asia it is literally Unknown some bigger than Houston...

Houston, International LOL

Exactly same with the UK Leicester is suppose to be very diverse yet who's heard of Leicester, England?

Edinburgh is more international (the Rome of the North ) yet its much more homogenous.
The only American city that is truly international on a global scale is New York. Other American cities are international regionally. It could be said that Houston may have a Latin American Connection but I would argue that Los Angeles and Miami are much more connected to Latin America. San Francisco and Seattle are international as far as the far east is concerned.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
The only people in the world that I ever met that knew Houston and were always talking about Houston, and many got their oil degrees there were Venezuelans. I guess the city is popular among oil producers.
Well, that's fine, but believe me - there are a whole lot of people out there in the big wide world that you haven't met - and who know about Houston and who have even BEEN there!

You're right about oil. Houston is an "oil hub" so to speak, so yes, anyone who has a career in the oil and gas industry has at least heard of Houston and may go there on business, live there, visit, etc.

Houston has:

Quote:
More than 90 consulate offices
22 foreign banks, representing 12 nations
More than 790 foreign-owned firms
More than 400 companies with branches in 129 other nations
More than 3,300 area firms, foreign government offices and nonprofit organizations involved in international business
https://www.houston.org/business/global/

These are the countries with the biggest business presence (and also employees living in the area) in Houston:

Mexico
Venezuela
Saudi Arabia
Brazil
China
Colombia
Netherlands
Russia
Germany
Nigeria

Here is a list of the foreign consulates in Houston (over 90 of them):
https://www.houston.org/business/global/consulates.html

My husband is in the oil and gas industry and he's worked in all of these countries except for Russia and Germany. Most of that time, he was working out of Houston. He was surrounded by international employees day in and day out while working from Houston.

I always enjoyed meeting him down in Houston because it's so much fun to experience the wide range of international cuisines as well as shopping experiences. He no longer works out of the Houston office because in his line of work, international work and travel became too risky. He was working mostly in Nigeria, Angola, and South America and was literally caught up in several revolutions or pretty serious civil unrest and also experienced mandatory quarantine several times - and when Nigerian rebels started kidnapping oil workers from oil platforms I finally said, "ENOUGH ALREADY!" so now he's working domestically.

I am saying all that because I'm so used to the international trade in the Houston area that it surprises me when people outside of the oil and gas sector tell me that they don't know much about the international aspect of Houston. It's just such a huge part of the economic scene in that region that I forget that people don't realize it since it's not tied to tourism or ancient history.

In spite of the fact that it's not typically a tourist destination (though domestic tourism does play a pretty big role in that area), it's got such deep and strong ties to international business that I think it's earned the title of an "international city."

By the way, let's talk about the airport. In 2007 the Houston Intercontinental Airport was named the fastest growing airport in the top ten airports in the US by the US department of transportation. In fact, it is the SEVENTH BUSIEST AIRPORT IN THE WORLD.

Here are it's busiest international routes:

1 Mexico City, Mexico
2 Cancún, Mexico
3 London (Heathrow), United Kingdom
4 Frankfurt, Germany
5 Calgary, Canada
6 Amsterdam, Netherlands
7 San Jose, Costa Rica
8 Monterrey, Mexico
9 Toronto, Canada
10 Guatemala City, Guatemala
11 San Salvador, El Salvador
12 Panama City, Panama
13 Dubai, United Arab Emirates
14 Tokyo (Narita), Japan
15 Guadalajara, Mexico
16 Bogotá, Colombia
17 Doha, Qatar
18 Belize City, Belize
19 San José del Cabo, Mexico
20 Paris, France
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...nental_Airport

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-10-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 01:28 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,264,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Houton is up and coming but even among diverse American cities, according to this list, it ranks tenth. Oakland, CA being number one:

http://priceonomics.com/the-most-and...es-in-america/

This article mentions how Houton is up and coming but still ranks 12th for most popular international destinations. It was outranked by every major west coast city except Seattle.

http://skift.com/2014/06/18/20-most-...elers-in-2013/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World