Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 AM

2,423 posts, read 4,306,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
All of Texas's major cities are VERY international. The problem is that some Europeans think that they are the extent of what is considered "international". To a person from Equador or Panama - Houston is every bit as international as Chicago or San Fran.
Also, I think it's interesting you bring up Ecuador as my father is from there and I have visited about 8 times. Most Ecuadorians I have met would probably disagree with you. They find Chicago to be more international. In Ecuador the most international cities in the U.S. are NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami and then probably Houston.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,144,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Why does one have to visit a city to know it's international? I have never been to Tokyo, Paris or Barcelona. I guess that must mean they are not very international? I really don't see how visting Houston will determine if it's international or not. You act like when people visit they will be wowed of how international it is, and they actually won't. I have visited Houston before and it doesn't feel international at all. It doesn't feel cosmoplitan at all. Sure it's diverse and center for international business but that is as far as it goes.
I did not ask if you have been I asked Temp, I act like anything I am intrested in that person has been and why if so what is was their take away. omg spare us from the chicago is the in all be all of what is international mindset, dont speak for other people in order to reforce your view

Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I did not ask if you have been I asked Temp, I act like anything I am intrested in that person has been and why if so what is was their take away. omg spare us from the chicago is the in all be all of what is international mindset, dont speak for other people in order to reforce your view
Yeah ok buddy haha whatever you say

Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,399,432 times
Quote:
Also, I think it's interesting you bring up Ecuador as my father is from there and I have visited about 8 times. Most Ecuadorians I have met would probably disagree with you. They find Chicago to be more international. In Ecuador the most international cities in the U.S. are NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami and then probably Houston.
Perhaps for visiting, but not for business. Houston is a very international city when it comes to commerce, whereas some of the other cities are more international in regards to what tourism or it's history generates. For Central & South America - in my opinion - only Miami (and Los Angeles) has more commerce and connections.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah ok buddy haha whatever you say
what you want I have been to chi, tokyo, dubai, , NYC, Rome, Spain, and a dozen others(Miliarty) And while they are great cities I have never had the feeling they are more International, better know, more dense, but there was never anything I could not find there are do their I could not do in Houston, ( Expect for the sand rides in dubai that was kick ass) Infact I found most non american cities to be less international in terms of Diversity. I loved my time in Hong kong bust good luck find a BBQ place or non regional eats they are there but they are not at the level of the states , you most likey will not see a parde of diffrent cultures at a festival.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
what you want I have been to chi, tokyo, dubai, , NYC, Rome, Spain, and a dozen others(Miliarty) And while they are great cities I have never had the feeling they are more International, better know, more dense, but there was never anything I could not find there are do their I could not do in Houston, ( Expect for the sand rides in dubai that was kick ass)
What are you talking about?! About things you could do in Houston as well? I mean what do humans do on daily basis? They eat, sleep, work, go out at night. I mean of course Houston is going to have that what city won't. Museums? Almost any city has that. This wasn't even the point of the thread, it feels now like you are arguing on fumes.

Also can't believe you have the audacity to start comparing the experience that places like Tokyo, NYC and Rome offer in comparison to Houston? Am I reading that right? Because not even I would have the audactiy to compare them to Chicago in what they offer.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about?! About things you could do in Houston as well? I mean what do humans do on daily basis? They eat, sleep, work, go out at night. I mean of course Houston is going to have that what city won't. Museums? Almost any city has that. This wasn't even the point of the thread, it feels now like you are arguing on fumes.

Also can't believe you have the audacity to start comparing the experience that places like Tokyo, NYC and Rome offer in comparison to Houston? Am I reading that right? Because not even I would have the audactiy to compare them to Chicago in what they offer.
re -read the post.

I love those cities and they are great places to visit , after the tourism feel has worn off, Then what They are rich in History , but after you have visted all the museums , and walked the streets, its just a another city.. while major american cities are a constant clash of cultures, This month they may put on a dragon dance festival, next black southern style battle of the bands, next Hindu dance lessons in the park, after that a German beer fest and so on

Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
re -read the post.

I love those cities and they are great places to visit , after the tourism feel has worn off, Then what They are rich in History , but after you have visted all the museums , and walked the streets, its just a another city
And re-read what I wrote. That toursim and great place to visit character is something Houston lacks on an international scale and even on the domestic scale. A city is a city, but there are certain cities that offer more. Again Houston in regards to the basics offers what Chicago, SF, and LA can offer, it's just that those three can offer even more in regards to international brand name and tourism, which is what makes them more international.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 AM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
re -read the post.

I love those cities and they are great places to visit , after the tourism feel has worn off, Then what They are rich in History , but after you have visted all the museums , and walked the streets, its just a another city
I haven't been to Houston. So, what would you say is unique and exceptional about Houston (especially for a visitor) that is not generic to other cities in America?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
And re-read what I wrote. That toursim and great place to visit character is something Houston lacks on an international scale and even on the domestic scale. A city is a city, but there are certain cities that offer more. Again Houston in regards to the basics offers what Chicago, SF, and LA can offer, it's just that those three can offer even more in regards to international brand name and tourism, which is what makes them more international.
Ok im break I think we are aruging the same point just in a round way,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.