Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 10:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How many people would visit if it wasn't an oil hub? 100? And why would anyone? Who would want to visit a 6 million suburbia filled with redneck Texans?
Now THIS, ladies and gentlemen (and I use those terms generously) is an ignorant statement. Considering that Houston is a majority/minority city, with a big percentage of it's population being foreign born, with over 90 foreign consulates spread throughout the metro area, I'd say that your preconceived notions are just that - fanciful notions.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Yeah, it pretty much seems like a business city dependent on oil money with some additional people visiting their relatives in the Estados Unidos.
But then, what's wrong about that? I'm sure you can live a wonderful life in that city. But trying to sell it as a top international travel destination? That's a bit far-fetched. It pretty much shares the fate of Frankfurt and some of the bigger Chinese cities no one ever heard about.
Who's trying to "sell it as a top international travel destination?" There's no need to try to sell it as such - it already IS such. It's the 12th most popular travel destination for international travelers in the US.

Yes, it's got a large oil and gas sector, but it also has a huge medical presence which attracts a lot of foreign professionals. It also is about an hour away from Galveston and has many tourist attractions.

Just because some CD posters aren't familiar with it really doesn't prove anything. It's the fourth largest city in the US and a major hub for business and some very high end professional careers. But as could be expected of such a large metro area in such close proximity to the Gulf of Mexico, it also offers a lot in the way of fun vacation activities.

And just for the record, Houston has a booming night life. Very vibrant and multicultural.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How many people would visit if it wasn't an oil hub? 100? And why would anyone? Who would want to visit a 6 million suburbia filled with redneck Texans?
Do you really want to play the stereotype game - from Finland?

Please - don't even go there. I won't stoop to that level - but I certainly could if I wanted to be rude and obnoxious.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:47 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,265 times
If you type the German word for city (Stadt) into Google ( together with American city names)
you will get this

New York 52 600 000 results

Los Angeles 11 700 000

Chicago 10 200 000

San Francisco 8 500 000

Miami 2 640 000

Houston 608 000

Dallas 578 000

Atlanta 563 000

Old 02-14-2015, 10:51 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Who's trying to "sell it as a top international travel destination?" There's no need to try to sell it as such - it already IS such. It's the 12th most popular travel destination for international travelers in the US.

Yes, it's got a large oil and gas sector, but it also has a huge medical presence which attracts a lot of foreign professionals. It also is about an hour away from Galveston and has many tourist attractions.

Just because some CD posters aren't familiar with it really doesn't prove anything. It's the fourth largest city in the US and a major hub for business and some very high end professional careers. But as could be expected of such a large metro area in such close proximity to the Gulf of Mexico, it also offers a lot in the way of fun vacation activities.

And just for the record, Houston has a booming night life. Very vibrant and multicultural.
Let's get real. Hardly anyone outside the US knows much about Houston. And I repeat, that doesn't mean that it's an unpleasant city to live in. I mean, even wikipedia lists the Space Centre and Ninfa's (a freaking Mexican restaurant) as the main tourist attractions.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Let's get real. Hardly anyone outside the US knows much about Houston. And I repeat, that doesn't mean that it's an unpleasant city to live in. I mean, even wikipedia lists the Space Centre and Ninfa's (a freaking Mexican restaurant) as the main tourist attractions.
LOL I hope you don't count on Wiki as your main source of information on anything.

I think it's ridiculous to assume that "hardly anyone outside the US knows much about Houston" when it's the 12th most popular US destination for international travelers.

That's a fact, not an opinion. I know that people on CD have a hard time distinguishing between the two words, but there is a significant difference in meaning. See - I have no problem "getting real." Part of "getting real" is the ability to differentiate between personal opinion, stereotypes, preconceived notions, and facts.

I've never claimed that Houston is a top TOURIST destination in the US - and I don't believe that's the only measure of whether a city is "international" or not. Houston is a top draw when it comes to business - you know - how people make money. That's pretty significant on an international scale.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:11 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Do you really want to play the stereotype game - from Finland?

Please - don't even go there. I won't stoop to that level - but I certainly could if I wanted to be rude and obnoxious.
Dumb comment yes but thats because you Kathryn are being a bit dumb!

Sorry to burst your bubble but most people outside the USA (or even Houston lol) don't see Houston as somewhere exciting to go on holiday or to visit.

We all know what cities are popular because we only have to *think* to do that and Houston isn't one of those cities that pop into peoples head! 7

NYC, Miami, DC, San Francisco and LA has an appeal around the world, Houston doesn't it isn't a popular tourist destination and business tourists don't count! Its like saying because Canary Wharf gets a lot of business tourists its a popular district of London. No one would say that because most people go to the West End or the City.

There might be some very interesting things to do in Houston and it may surprise some BUT Houston isn't a city is a tourist city where people take pictures of the Strip Malls, Shopping Malls, Skyscrapers and some random monument. What does Houston have anyway? Parks, Zoos, Shopping Centres, a CBD filled with big soulless skyscrapers? that's not, right? what else a rodeo stadium that has no global appeal?

Compare that to LA with its world famous Hollywood strip, Beaches, terrain and SF with its large LGBT community the golden gate bridge and lets not start with NYC and DC..

But then we have HOUSTON LOL...

What images does Houston give me? Hmmm Nothing!

Old 02-14-2015, 11:13 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
LOL I hope you don't count on Wiki as your main source of information on anything.

I think it's ridiculous to assume that "hardly anyone outside the US knows much about Houston" when it's the 12th most popular US destination for international travelers.

That's a fact, not an opinion. I know that people on CD have a hard time distinguishing between the two words, but there is a significant difference in meaning. See - I have no problem "getting real."

I've never claimed that Houston is a top TOURIST destination in the US - and I don't believe that's the only measure of whether a city is "international" or not. Houston is a top draw when it comes to business - you know - how people make money. That's pretty significant on an international scale.
Again with the business so what that people from companies work in Houston for a couple months...

Old 02-14-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but most people outside the USA (or even Houston lol) don't see Houston as somewhere exciting to go on holiday or to visit.
Actually - I never claimed Houston was a top destination based on it's tourist attractions. It's a top destination for international travel due to it's BUSINESS sector - which I've clearly stated over and over again on this thread.

Quote:
We all know what cities are popular because we only have to *think* to do that and Houston isn't one of those cities that pop into peoples head! 7
Tell that to the hordes of international visitors who come to Houston every year. Just because it doesn't pop into your head automatically really doesn't prove anything.

Quote:
NYC, Miami, DC, San Francisco and LA has an appeal around the world, Houston doesn't it isn't a popular tourist destination and business tourists don't count!
No - they don't count to YOU. They do count as tourist dollars and business infrastructure and international commerce whether you disregard those elements or not.

Quote:
There might be some very interesting things to do in Houston and it may surprise some BUT Houston has a city is a tourist city where people take pictures of the Strip Malls, Shopping Malls, Skyscrapers and some random monument. What does Houston have anyway? Parks, Zoos, Shopping Centres, a CBD filled with big soulless skyscrapers? that's not, right? what else a rodeo stadium that has no global appeal?

Compare that to LA with its world famous Hollywood strip, Beaches, terrain and SF with its large LGBT community the golden gate bridge and lets not start with NYC and DC..

But then we have HOUSTON LOL...

What images does Houston give me? Hmmm Nothing!
Nice rant - feel better?

The businesses which thrive in Houston due to it's international reach are probably crying all the way to the bank because a few posters on CD don't consider the city of Houston to be a tourist destination.

You've veered way off topic, by the way. Rant if you like but don't direct your rant about Houston not being a tourist mecca at someone who may have claimed it was one. That's not me. I've clearly stated that Houston's international visitors are primarily visiting Houston because of business connections or reasons.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Again with the business so what that people from companies work in Houston for a couple months...
So what is right - why does that bother you? Their INTERNATIONAL PRESENCE creates a very international atmosphere in Houston. That's what the thread is all about - not touristy sites. Touristy stuff isn't the only element to consider when one is trying to define whether or not a place is "international."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World