Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times

Advertisements

It's the fourth most populous country in the world, after India, China, and the U.S., with over 237 million people - about the same as the U.S. in 1990. Yet you almost never hear about it, even in the international media, or documentaries, or the stories of travelers, etc. I suppose there's Bali, but that's it. It's definitely the largest country that I know the least about - I can only name three cities from it off-hand (Medan, Jakarta, and Surabaya), and that's only because my memory was refreshed by seeing a list of the largest cities in the world.

Why does Indonesia get so little attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,989,074 times
Well the OP is from America so the coverage of Indonesia is less than here in Australia. Most of the stories regarding Indonesia here is Bali and it not just about the vacation there but where Australians are in prison or on trial for drug offences there. In fact there is a lot of coverage on that aspect. Also what gets a lot of coverage is the refugee asylum boat people that arrive in Indonesia from the Middle East in order to travel to Australia by boat to claim asylum.

Not many people know about Indonesian politics and the only real coverage people here get of the political process is during Indonesian elections.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 AM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
I think Bali gets the most attention in the USA as a vacation destination and only other news that I have heard about Indonesia in the USA is when there have been natural disasters (earthquakes mainly) there.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,509,180 times
There are all sorts of things that amaze me about Indonesia, most of all however, its a poor country, most its people live on one very crowded island (Java has close to 1/2 the population of the USA living in an area about the same size as North Carolina!) and its surrounded by much richer countries (Australia, Malaysia, Singapore and Brueni) you would think they would be running for the borders like Mexicans, but they dont

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-07-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
It would be a great place to invest. The Indonesia Fund (IF) has fully recovered from its 2008 levels, while India Fund (INF) hasn't even made half of it back. In 2006, the Indonesian stock exchange recorded the largest gain in the world.

Indonesia is a wonderful place to visit, nicer than Thailand (in my opinion), but it is virtually impossible to extend a visa for longer than 60 days and you have to keep flying out on visa runs if you wanted to stay there very long. Nominally Muslim, they are not very devout and Islam is not very conspicuous. Very strong on women's rights and social equality.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,989,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It would be a great place to invest. The Indonesia Fund (IF) has fully recovered from its 2008 levels, while India Fund (INF) hasn't even made half of it back. In 2006, the Indonesian stock exchange recorded the largest gain in the world.

Indonesia is a wonderful place to visit, nicer than Thailand (in my opinion), but it is virtually impossible to extend a visa for longer than 60 days and you have to keep flying out on visa runs if you wanted to stay there very long. Nominally Muslim, they are not very devout and Islam is not very conspicuous. Very strong on women's rights and social equality.
Most of the population is muslim, yet there are many Indoesians are devout. In the Indonesian province of Aceh there are laws there that follow the strict interpretation of Sharia law where if there is inappropriate contact between males and females would get a public flogging.

Here is a article on a female dissident regading the practise of the strict interpretation of Sharia law:

Sharia law also forbids women from singing and dancing, which are judged to be overly amorous. “Sharia is very difficult for women to adhere to, as it applies to all areas of life: clothing, behavior in public, a way of being around men, a curfew at night,” says Donna, the director of the Solidaritas Perempuan association. A believer as well as a fervent feminist, Donna does not wear the obligatory veil, despite numerous arrests and reprimand.
In Indonesia’s Aceh, Islamic Sharia Law Is Applied Harshly And Hypocritically - Worldcrunch - All News is Global

However Aceh is the most religious region in Indonesia and always been that way. Most muslim Indonesians would not welcome the strict interpretation of the Sharia law. It would certainly not be welcomed by Indonesian Christians, Buddhist and Hindus.

Even so Indonesia is largely a muslim nation it still has a large Christian minority and there are more Christians in Indonesia than Australia. There are areas of Eastern Indonesia were Christians are a majority of the population. In Bali it is mostly Hindu. Buddhists are usually followed by Ethnic Chinese.

Ethnic Chinese are mostly Buddhist and Christian. Yet a small minority are muslim and as well as others that are followers of other traditional Chinese beliefs. They represent 5% of Indonesia population and in the past few centuries they have largely dominated Indonesia wealth. These days a large proportion of wealth is still dominated by the ethnic Chinese even though the gap between the Chinese and rich Indigenous Indonesians has narrowed.

Last edited by other99; 09-07-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times
We hear about it more here, but even then, it's funny how Bali and maybe Lombok are the only places that Australians usually go on holiday to. There are a lot of Indonesian immigrants here in Western Australia, however, and they often go back to Java to see family etc. There's quite a few Indonesian restaurants too, one of my favourite cuisines. You're missing out if you haven't tried a good satay, fried chicken, nasi goreng or beef rendang.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It's the fourth most populous country in the world, after India, China, and the U.S., with over 237 million people - about the same as the U.S. in 1990. Yet you almost never hear about it, even in the international media, or documentaries, or the stories of travelers, etc. I suppose there's Bali, but that's it. It's definitely the largest country that I know the least about - I can only name three cities from it off-hand (Medan, Jakarta, and Surabaya), and that's only because my memory was refreshed by seeing a list of the largest cities in the world.

Why does Indonesia get so little attention?
Indonesia is in the news. When there are religious clashes, tsunamis (), political issues, deforestation and tropical hardwood poaching. The US gets some of its oil from Indonesia. It's in the news, you just have to pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World