Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,061,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That's why I don't understand why people would want this?
Americans are "engineered" to live with debt. Some non-Americans have also fallen for that "leverage" BS.

The rich brainwash people to use credit. In America this brainwashing worked, in most of Europe - failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,086,955 times
Checks are still well-used in the U.S., although falling out of popularity with younger people and definitely declining in general. It has been my experience the medium- and large companies prefer that their employees receive their wages by electronic transfer (and sometimes even require it), while small / family-run businesses often use checks, as the owners often do not know how to transfer funds electronically, or actually prefer checks for what most would consider their disadvantages (for example, employers might pay with a check, anticipating that the money will be in the account at the time the employee cashes the check). Bill payment is still done largely with checks, although those in my generation tend to pay online. Many restaurants and other establishments have stopped accepting them, largely because of bad checks (insufficient account balance or closed accounts). A Chinese joint near where I worked posted copies of bad checks written to them for all to see, and one was an order of nearly $100 - quite exceptional - with it being returned with the words "account closed" on it!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,415,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Checks are still well-used in the U.S., although falling out of popularity with younger people and definitely declining in general. It has been my experience the medium- and large companies prefer that their employees receive their wages by electronic transfer (and sometimes even require it), while small / family-run businesses often use checks, as the owners often do not know how to transfer funds electronically
If a first-world businessman doesn't know how to order a direct debit he doesn't deserve to be in business.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 AM

667 posts, read 937,686 times
I have never seen checks and don't even really understand how this system works. For me it's something from the past. When I read books about Sherlock Holmes or something like this I often read that "someone wrote a check". It makes me wonder how it works.
But OK, I am in Belarus, this is Ex-USSR. We started actively using credit cards 7-8 years ago. Well, in fact they are debit cards, or "salary cards" as they are sometimes called. I remember that 10 years ago, we used to get all our salaries in cash. Some people obviously still do.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Americans are "engineered" to live with debt. Some non-Americans have also fallen for that "leverage" BS.

The rich brainwash people to use credit. In America this brainwashing worked, in most of Europe - failed.
Not so.
I was quite surprised when I moved back to Germany most recently that garden huts were offered at the local practiker for x€/month.
Korea is as bad, if not worse, than the US with credit card debt.
Strange that.
You'd think people would learn from the mistakes of others.
I suppose not, they have to learn for themselves.

I've never really been in debt and prefer my life that way.
(Thanks mom & dad).

Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
If a first-world businessman doesn't know how to order a direct debit he doesn't deserve to be in business.
Why?
Because that's the way you think businesses should work?
That's the joy of this world, you can run your business as you choose; inefficient or not.
When you have a business, run it your way.
You wouldn't want someone to force their way on you.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,438,152 times
I live in Toronto, Ontario and I have stopped carrying cash all together. My bank debit card meets all my needs.

Canada has become the world leader in debit card use. I pay a flat rate of seven dollars a month, to my bank, and I can do hundreds of debit transactions per month, with no further cost to me.

I am never ever``NSF `.

Taxis here have debit machines, as do the corner stores, and the coffee shops. If I had enough of a balance in my account, I`m sure that I could buy a car with my debit card.

We are the owners of three income properties, with a total of 13 tenants, who ALL pay their rent by electronic transfer, to our bank account, on the first of each month. Our mortage payments are done the same way, as are our utilities, property taxes. and building insurance payments. Same thing for our car insurance, and supplemental medical payments.

My wife works for the University of Toronto, and all 14000 of their faculty, and admin staff, are paid by electronic transfer, to their indivdual bank accounts. My military pension, same thing. My Canada Pension, and Old Age Pension, same thing. Annual Income tax returns are filed electroncially, as are our HST and sales tax returns. Bank statements and investment statements are sent electronically to our email accounts.

I`d say that the old way of using paper cheques, is dying, at least in Canada.

We are moving in a few days, to a new house. ALL Of our moving notifications have been done by e-mail, including our driver`s licenses, OHIP health cards, car insurance company, and mortgage company, and banks. Same thing for magazines, and club memberships.

Did I mention that Canada is the `most connected country in the world `` with about 80 percent of our residences having a broadband highspeed internet connection.......

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World