Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM

42 posts, read 67,938 times

Advertisements

Like many others, I've dreamed of living in NYC for quite a while now. I'm starting a freelance business, and so at this point, I'm not sure how much I'll be earning per year. If I end up earning enough to live in and truly enjoy NYC to the fullest, I probably will go for it. But I want to consider other options as well.

Also, as a freelancer, I might be able to fairly easily emigrate to Canada, Europe, et cetera; not quite sure yet, I'm still researching it. So please don't limit your suggestions to American cities.

My criteria:

Must-have:

-Vibrancy. I've been living in the suburbs all my life and yearn for a city full of life and energy.
-Great public transportation/walkability. I don't drive, and I don't plan to.
-At least somewhat mild climate. Four seasons are fine. Snow is fine. I've lived in SoCal my whole life, so I'm actually enchanted by the idea of experiencing seasons instead of almost year-round sunshine. But I don't think I'd do well with extremely cold, long, harsh winters or unbearably sweltering summers.

Important:

-A timeless, unique feel to it. I'm very cinematic and romantic by nature, and I'd prefer to live in a city rich in character.
-Great arts, culture, media, and entertainment scene. I'm not professionally a writer, actor, singer, et cetera...but I am passionate about these hobbies and would like to live in a place where there are plenty of like-minded artistic types.
-Culture of ambitious, young working professionals. I withdrew from college; I don't like anything about college culture. It's just not for me.
-Easy for an outsider to make friends. I'm outgoing and friendly, but I've lived in places (LA being one of them) where it's been difficult for me to make friends despite this fact.
-Somewhere I can get by knowing only the English language.

So far, I've been considering:

NYC, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Portland. Looking into Montreal, Quebec City, Prague, and Stockholm (but don't know too much about them yet). Somewhat considering Boston, but I'm wary of the emphasis on college there, and the reputation Bostonians have for being insular/distant with outsiders.

Thank you in advance for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM

27,753 posts, read 28,863,566 times
You said you dream of living in NYC. And then you list criteria which describe NYC to a T. So, I guess you know what the answer is.

Also, what about Chicago and Toronto?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,074,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryQuartz View Post
Like many others, I've dreamed of living in NYC for quite a while now. I'm starting a freelance business, and so at this point, I'm not sure how much I'll be earning per year. If I end up earning enough to live in and truly enjoy NYC to the fullest, I probably will go for it. But I want to consider other options as well.
I suggest you stay at a low cost place, until you start earning enough to live in NYC. Cities you mentioned are bad choices. Abroad is even more expensive initially - a lot more.

Quote:
Also, as a freelancer, I might be able to fairly easily emigrate to Canada, Europe, et cetera
The rule of thumb is - you simply can't. Almost no country provides residence to freelancers without a lot of money. And those that do... you shouldn't count on being chosen, because there is almost 100% chance that you won't. Especially, since you are not even remotely a professional - being very young and without a college degree.

If you consider illegal immigration (idiotic decision, if you ask me) - Spain is a good choice. It meets your criteria, is relatively cheap, and doesn't hunt down illegals. Russian freelancers, both legal and not, are doing fine there. But illegal immigration is just plain stupid for a person from a normal country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World