U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one if your favorite
NYC 117 37.26%
Paris 50 15.92%
Tokyo 49 15.61%
London 98 31.21%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM

9,992 posts, read 10,791,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I agree there is an issue with how rough of an approximation it is, but all four countries have set out their definitions of what comprises their official metropolitan areas with all four leaning on commuter stats between what is considered the core of the city and the surrounding counties. It seems to be the best we have, so I'd use it. Anyhow, I don't think Paris or London have a place as the singular most powerful or influential city anymore except in a historic context. There is no singularly powerful city, but there is no doubt in my mind that NYC and Beijing are both more powerful.

This is about favorite cities though, so I guess it doesn't matter.

As an aside, what's with the spate of bizarrely rude posts in this discussion? There's no reason to get ornery.
Beijing a powerfull city, really are you serious.... Beijing a POWERFULL city i dont think so maybe Shanghai but not beijing. Beijing is the Capital city but Washington D.C. is the capital of the States and New york city is considered more powerfull.
I don't really think paris is powerfull, London and NYC is in the lead with power....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM

132 posts, read 121,850 times
LONDON/NYC/TOKYO/PARIS..... these are the World's Alpha Cities and will remain so for a good while still.They all have their part to play.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 PM

28,627 posts, read 27,836,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Beijing a powerfull city, really are you serious.... Beijing a POWERFULL city i dont think so maybe Shanghai but not beijing. Beijing is the Capital city but Washington D.C. is the capital of the States and New york city is considered more powerfull.
I don't really think paris is powerfull, London and NYC is in the lead with power....
Yes I'm serious. Size overall it's about 20 million in its metro area making it one of the largest. It's undeniably the seat of a very large and powerful country which has a very centralized government run from Beijing. It has the second highest number of Global 500 companies after Tokyo. It also serves as the tech, cultural, and education center for China. Shanghai is much less powerful in comparison though it attracts a lot more foreign direct investment. As for DC, that's an arguable point but DC has a relatively small population and economy and would not be considered the finance, business, tech, cultural or educational center of the US, the US government as a whole is a bit less centralized (and far less authoritarian), and NYC draws a lot of the international attention while being a fairly short distance away.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,492,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Very original opinion coming from someone who call himself "P London" !! ...

Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 PM

8,024 posts, read 10,691,445 times
Hypocrite, you moan when people say that to you about your name.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Very original opinion coming from someone who call himself "P London" !! ...
No wonder you don't like London and prefer paris french user Goes both ways

Old 12-16-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm serious. Size overall it's about 20 million in its metro area making it one of the largest. It's undeniably the seat of a very large and powerful country which has a very centralized government run from Beijing. It has the second highest number of Global 500 companies after Tokyo. It also serves as the tech, cultural, and education center for China. Shanghai is much less powerful in comparison though it attracts a lot more foreign direct investment. As for DC, that's an arguable point but DC has a relatively small population and economy and would not be considered the finance, business, tech, cultural or educational center of the US, the US government as a whole is a bit less centralized (and far less authoritarian), and NYC draws a lot of the international attention while being a fairly short distance away.
Oh, well at least your've got a good argument why beijing is powerfull, but size doesn't equal power. But thinking about it most powerfull cities have a large populations

Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,492,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Hypocrite, you moan when people say that to you about your name.

Hey, I'm joking! I was just returning the lift...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM

250 posts, read 459,289 times
Quote:
I agree there is an issue with how rough of an approximation it is, but all four countries have set out their definitions of what comprises their official metropolitan areas with all four leaning on commuter stats between what is considered the core of the city and the surrounding counties. It seems to be the best we have, so I'd use it..
What you state is correct, aside from a few problems.

1. Such statistical criteria are, themselves, far from consistently employed. By just varying the weighting of the inclusion criteria you can make metropolitan areas inordinately vast or dysfunctionally localised.

2. Used on their own, commuter statistics are generally poor criteria for representing the functions and operations of global cities that have influence far beyond their traditional regional boundaries.

There is truth to the idea that we should commit to the best of our available choices. However, metro vs metro comparisons are essentially epistemic operations. In other words, they have objective standards of necessity and sufficiency that exist regardless of limitations in our range of choices.

It follows from this that it is reasonable to use metropolitan areas for the purposes of administration and governance; but that we refrain from drawing any important conclusions from comparisons between metropolitan areas. That is, for so long as there is no global consensus as to how they are defined.

This is highly unlikely, of course, given the problems it would cause.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:07 PM

880 posts, read 1,841,645 times
Native New Yorker here but I've never been to London or Paris so i'm going to have to go with Tokyo. LOVED it. LOVED every aspect of it. It's just a lively city and the people are so kind. I really like japanese culture as well, so it's definitely a plus to be in a huge city lke Tokyo. The downside is that it is indeed overcrowded.

i think some of you are sucked in that "Sex & the City" lifestyle that is presented about NYC. It's really nothing like that. There are so many hardworking people who don't like so glamorously and if you get out of Manhattan, you will probably think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World