U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one if your favorite
NYC 117 37.26%
Paris 50 15.92%
Tokyo 49 15.61%
London 98 31.21%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 PM
B87

11,770 posts, read 8,593,278 times

Advertisements

Found this pic on a google search.

Skyline by Medonymous, on Flickr
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,600,582 times
London is quietly putting up some badass buildings. I had never heard of the shard.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,267,946 times
London is my pick.

London Rocks....literally.

The best rocks bands ever are from London or based in London...

The Rolling Stones
The Who
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
The Small Faces

List goes on and on...must be something in the water?

Love to visit famous Abbey Road Studios.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:06 PM

5,839 posts, read 8,999,452 times
New York City! Most impressive imo.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:04 PM

842 posts, read 1,170,494 times
London hands down.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 PM

181 posts, read 467,536 times
I've been to New York City, Paris and London. Not Tokyo.

New York City did not impress me as much as the other two. The subways were ugly and the service was infrequent. Not to mention, it was very apparent there was a large under class living in New York City. It's funny, I hear people complain about the "chav culture" in London, but I felt that applied to New York City much more. A lot of the young employees in many of the stores and tourist places had a very unprofessional attitude that I've never seen anywhere else. It was strange.

Paris was a very nice looking city, and the people were very friendly. It definitely had character and the people had a very unique sense of style. Paris really does not live up to the stereotype. It was much more cosmopolitan than I imagined, and the French were very nice.

London was a very dynamic city and it truly felt "diverse". There were so many different people from different backgrounds. The subways were amazing. However, the people felt really cold to me. Customer service is clearly not as important there as it is in North America. Most waiters barely gave us the time of day.

Overall, I liked London the best, then Paris, then New York City. I am always perplexed why people love New York City so much. It was a great city, but I find people often feel they don't have to explain themselves when they say they like New York. They think it speaks for itself. As if saying "Nothing compares to New York City" is an argument winner in of itself.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:39 PM

14,873 posts, read 19,000,746 times
London is defiantly the capital of the world

Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 AM

5,839 posts, read 8,999,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I've been to New York City, Paris and London. Not Tokyo.

New York City did not impress me as much as the other two. The subways were ugly and the service was infrequent. Not to mention, it was very apparent there was a large under class living in New York City. It's funny, I hear people complain about the "chav culture" in London, but I felt that applied to New York City much more. A lot of the young employees in many of the stores and tourist places had a very unprofessional attitude that I've never seen anywhere else. It was strange.

Paris was a very nice looking city, and the people were very friendly. It definitely had character and the people had a very unique sense of style. Paris really does not live up to the stereotype. It was much more cosmopolitan than I imagined, and the French were very nice.

London was a very dynamic city and it truly felt "diverse". There were so many different people from different backgrounds. The subways were amazing. However, the people felt really cold to me. Customer service is clearly not as important there as it is in North America. Most waiters barely gave us the time of day.

Overall, I liked London the best, then Paris, then New York City. I am always perplexed why people love New York City so much. It was a great city, but I find people often feel they don't have to explain themselves when they say they like New York. They think it speaks for itself. As if saying "Nothing compares to New York City" is an argument winner in of itself.
There is a lot to love about NYC. It's the largest financial center in ther world, many tourist attractions such as Central Park (which is very pretty), The Statue of Liberty (The ferry ride is cool getting there), Times Square, etc. The architechture is very nice and the skyscrapers in NYC dominate the other cities imo.

The weather is nice most of the year. Just a bunch of things are great about NYC. I'm sure the other 3 cities are nice, but I've never been to them.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 AM

190 posts, read 557,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
A lot of the young employees in many of the stores and tourist places had a very unprofessional attitude that I've never seen anywhere else. It was strange.
Not just young, but yes, it's true. There's an episode of Louie where he makes a point of this. The employees are often chit chatting to teach other, appear irritated if you approach them, offer half-assed help in a way that make it look like they're trying to impress their fellow coworkers in how disrespectful they can treat the customer. Otoh, I've seen some really awful customers in NYC as well, so perhaps this is a result of that. Who knows?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 AM

190 posts, read 557,045 times
I think London, Paris, and Tokyo have one common plus over New York -- their streets are not grid style. I find the crazy streets more fun as a pedestrian, even if irritating at times. Perfect square blocks don't feel like an adventure or organic.

There's a massive rich and poor gap in New York. The areas people can afford to live in New York are quite decrepit. I think people think of New York as Manhattan, but it's mainly the rich who can afford to live there, same for the parts of Brooklyn closest to Manhattan. Go to the areas where regular people can afford to live and you won't feel like it's a fun place. Maybe London and Paris are the same (?), if so, they all lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World