U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one if your favorite
NYC 117 37.26%
Paris 50 15.92%
Tokyo 49 15.61%
London 98 31.21%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 PM

250 posts, read 459,289 times

Advertisements

1. London, by a significant margin.
2. Paris and Manhattan (excluding the rest of NYC) - tied.
3. Tokyo.

I'm also within the camp that finds New York City to be disappointing. Some have hyped it up to be the greatest city in the world, but outside of a handful of select areas of Manhattan, such as the Lincoln Center, the city (even Manhattan for the large part) is largely forgettable with swathes of dilapidated and uncleanly thoroughfares and streets. I love the people though, the brash "New Yoik" character and the presentable women.

London is by far the soundest contender for Capital of the World as far as I'm concerned. This is the place to be due to the sheer volume of money flowing into the city, and due to improvements proceeding at an unprecedented pace. It has excitement, cultural finesse, elegance and architectural beauty married to technological sharpness in a manner that is unparalleled by any other global city. Many of these positives are newly-acquired, and even as little as a few years ago it fell short of other leading cities in key areas.

The walking experience across the West End is nothing short of breathtaking:

It has a burgeoning high technology skyline:

And the night-life is charming, vibrant and eclectic:

Last edited by Citizen401; 09-19-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM

132 posts, read 151,664 times
London is my choice for the best city in the world and I've been to all except Tokyo. It's gritty, congested, expensive and grimy, but it is the true world capital in my opinion. I love the city and it's rich culture and multiculturalism.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 PM

190 posts, read 557,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen401 View Post
3. Tokyo.
You made those videos yourself? If so, thanks. I've never been to London, but know NYC quite well. Your videos show exactly what I was saying before, the organic structure of the city creates unique experiences, such as shopping streets without traffic or black paved roads, or buildings curving with the streets. Manhattan has some fancy old, architecture, but some of the buildings I saw in your video look even better.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 PM

28,627 posts, read 27,825,739 times
One thing I found interesting was that London had added about a million people within the Greater London boundaries within a decade. It seems amazing for such a mature city to be adding so much.

I, too, really like the winding streets in London. Only downtown Manhattan (and Boston) have those winding streets coupled with vibrant streetlife. Maybe something can convince Boston to become a more vibrant city.

Another city with vibrant streetlife, some grand old architecture mixed in with the new and winding streets is Shanghai. The streets in Shanghai are actually confusing as hell. I reckon it'll still be a while before Shanghai joins these ranks though.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 AM

250 posts, read 459,289 times
Quote:
You made those videos yourself?
The videos walking through London? Yes; a trick I learned after I put an iPhone in my top pocket after forgetting to turn off the video recorder. The aerial video is edited from Jason Hawkes' work.

Quote:
Manhattan has some fancy old, architecture, but some of the buildings I saw in your video look even better.
What you're seeing in the videos is Regency-style architecture; the type most prevalent in the major thoroughfares of the West End, shopping/haute cuisine/live entertainment zones, financial district, Covent Garden and large areas of Kensington/Chelsea/Knightsbridge (ie. most of central London). The buildings gleam white in the sunlight during the day, and are under-lit during the night as in most large European cities.

Last edited by Citizen401; 09-20-2012 at 06:42 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 AM

20,873 posts, read 22,179,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen401 View Post
3. Tokyo.

I'm also within the camp that finds New York City to be disappointing. Some have hyped it up to be the greatest city in the world, but outside of a handful of select areas of Manhattan, such as the Lincoln Center, the city (even Manhattan for the large part) is largely forgettable with swathes of dilapidated and uncleanly thoroughfares and streets. I love the people though, the brash "New Yoik" character and the presentable women.

London is by far the soundest contender for Capital of the World as far as I'm concerned. This is the place to be due to the sheer volume of money flowing into the city, and due to improvements proceeding at an unprecedented pace. It has excitement, cultural finesse, elegance and architectural beauty married to technological sharpness in a manner that is unparalleled by any other global city. Many of these positives are newly-acquired, and even as little as a few years ago it fell short of other leading cities in key areas.

The walking experience across the West End is nothing short of breathtaking:

It has a burgeoning high technology skyline:

And the night-life is charming, vibrant and eclectic:

London is such a classy city. It feels like everything happens somewhere in London. Last time I was there was in 2006. It feels like it's about time for another visit, but there's so much else I gotta see in the world. lol.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,960,351 times
I've never been to Tokyo, so I need to abstain from commenting on it but the three others listed are my favorite cities on the planet (along with Chicago). If I were to rank them on a 10 scale, London, NYC, Paris, would all be upper nines. So, what the heck:

London: 9.9
NYC: 9.8
Paris: 9.7
(as a point of reference) Chicago: 9.5

Old 09-20-2012, 03:36 PM

841 posts, read 1,171,957 times
Thank you! I really do love Tokyo the best of all four cities. Vibrant, colorful, the cutting edge of technology.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 PM

641 posts, read 890,420 times
London all the way.

My fave city, though I wouldn't want to drive in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World