U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one if your favorite
NYC 117 37.26%
Paris 50 15.92%
Tokyo 49 15.61%
London 98 31.21%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 PM

10,564 posts, read 14,469,508 times

Advertisements

I've been to NYC, London, and Paris. Of these three, I'd have to choose London.

I hope to go to Tokyo this winter...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 AM

4,344 posts, read 9,563,853 times
For me its Tokyo of course, then London as a very close 2nd (almost a tie), then Paris and New York as a toss-up for 3rd.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,711,688 times
What about the radiation factor in Tokyo?? Am I the only one bringing this up?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 AM

20,862 posts, read 22,166,049 times
New York is the edgiest and most sensational.

Paris is the most cultured and beautiful.

Tokyo is the most advanced and technological.

London is the classiest and most royal.

Take your pick. :-)

Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 AM

3,735 posts, read 4,128,673 times
London
NYC
Paris
Tokyo

Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM

28,609 posts, read 27,806,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
What about the radiation factor in Tokyo?? Am I the only one bringing this up?
From actual peer-reviewed studies available, the amount of additional radiation for denizens of Tokyo is not particularly dire though there was a change at one point for things to get a lot worse.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 17,721 times
I have never been to Tokyo, but of the other three I'd have to say:
1) London
2) New York
3) Paris

Although I'm biased as I live in London, I see New York as an economic centre, Paris as a cultural centre, and London as a mix of both. But I love all three.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM

8 posts, read 14,889 times
Because London and Paris are so close they are similar in terms of people.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM

190 posts, read 557,097 times
1. London
It's expensive, but more international, more interesting fashion trends and art scene. City is more fun to walk around since the streets aren't simply in a grid pattern as they are in New York.

2. NYC / Tokyo
NYC has become a city for the rich and the ethnic enclaves who've been there for generations. The type of young, struggling artists who made the city interesting stopped coming because it became too expensive and cheaper cities with a similar crowd exist, like Austin, Portland, Oakland, and LA (parts of LA are really expensive, but there are areas that are decent and affordable compared to what you get for the same price in Brooklyn), and Berlin for those who can pull that off. A ton of indie bans still come to Brooklyn, but it's more so they have a chance to make it big, not because they grew organically from people they met there. Once they get popular, even though they advertise as being from Brooklyn, you'll only see them in big venues for $50+.

Tokyo
The Fukushima nuclear meltdown is a serious concern as it's ongoing, they're still dumping nuclear material into the ocean. That aside, Tokyo is pretty amazing. It doesn't have the beautiful architecture London and NYC has, but it feels more modern. There is a bit more to do at night for entertainment, like karaoke, or Internet cafes, or even arcades. People tend to dress conservatively, but well. You'll see all kinds of crazy and creative fashion in certain areas, which you won't find at all in New York. People are pretty polite and considerate. Don't have to worry about having loud neighbors. Incredibly safe. Crazy streets like London. Fantastic seasonal events like fireworks throughout August, cheery blossoms in spring. Less of an income gap, so you can actually afford to live close to cool parts of the city, though your room may be tiny with a view of a wall outside your window. That said, they could use a lot more greenery. You'll feel more like you don't fit in living in Tokyo in the long run than the other cities. It is insanely crowded. People tend to go to work in the same area, come home around the same time, get the same days and holidays off. Just have to learn to accept the crowds.

3. Paris. Haven't been.

Last edited by ErikJohnsson; 12-06-2012 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,939,980 times
NYC beacause its diverse-Yes i know london is diverse along with paris but NYC is so much more diverse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World