Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one if your favorite
NYC 121 37.81%
Paris 50 15.63%
Tokyo 51 15.94%
London 98 30.63%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 02:14 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,281 times

Advertisements

1. London
2. Tokyo
3. Paris

4. NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 02:02 AM

514 posts, read 470,801 times
Paris has the best architecture and monuments
New York is the only one to have nightlife after 2am
London has the best atmosphere/vibe
Tokyo is the cleanest and has the best public transport

Old 10-06-2014, 08:50 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
New York is the only one to have nightlife after 2am
No it isn't. I would agree with the rest though.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:11 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,351 times
ive been to all four

NEW YORK > TOKYO > LONDON > PARIS

new york and tokyo are on another level

london and paris are less busy and crazy.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:24 AM

367 posts, read 409,309 times
1990s

1) Paris
2) NYC

3) Tokyo

4) London

2000s

1) NYC
2) Tokyo

3) London

4) Paris

2010s

1) London
2) NYC

3) Tokyo

4) Paris

Old 11-22-2014, 04:23 PM

33 posts, read 43,795 times
I've only been to London and Paris. I have lived in London for 5 months.

London is a truly amazing city. I would rank it as one of the three best cities in the world. However, I think it's a bit overrated regarding its "energy and vibe". I haven't been to NY yet but I'm guessing it has much more nightlife going on. As an example, I used to go out at night around central London, and most nightclubs and bars would shut down before 2 am - I'm from Buenos Aires, where people enter the nightclubs at 2-3 am and leave at 7, so I know the meaning of a 'city that never sleeps', and in general terms London isn't one. Then again, consider the fact that the tube shuts down at night, unlike New York. And if I think about the huge avenues back home (i.e. 9 de Julio, the widest in the world) together with our never ending noise, chaos, havoc, crazy-driving and histrionic people (not to mention the underworld of drugs and sex, which makes even Amsterdam look innocent), London just feels like a quiet place in comparison. I don't mean to slag it off, in fact I love London and I'd like to live there again in the future. Maybe if I came from a small village I would be impressed by its energy, but I come from another 12-million-people-city (admittedly, a third world place) which has even more energy. That being said, London does feel like the 'center of the world' and its multiculturalism is really impressive, while the cultural offer is world class. The infrastructure is also great and I found Londoners to be extremely friendly and interesting, with a great sense of humor. Not a big fan of the food though!

Paris is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. It's my favorite place in the world, however most Parisians I met were quite rude and unpleasant, despite the fact that I spoke french and approached them with good manners. Of course, I don't pretend to generalize, since I also have a great Parisian friend who doesn't fit the mold... The architecture is amazing and most of the city still have that "old world charm" that few areas in London have. It's a real pleasure to walk around with no direction or purpose, just enjoying being there. But I believe the purpose of this thread is to rank these cities according to their world-class level. In that case, then London wins. I'd rather live in Paris though.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorro View Post
I've only been to London and Paris. I have lived in London for 5 months.

London is a truly amazing city. I would rank it as one of the three best cities in the world. However, I think it's a bit overrated regarding its "energy and vibe". I haven't been to NY yet but I'm guessing it has much more nightlife going on. As an example, I used to go out at night around central London, and most nightclubs and bars would shut down before 2 am - I'm from Buenos Aires, where people enter the nightclubs at 2-3 am and leave at 7, so I know the meaning of a 'city that never sleeps', and in general terms London isn't one. Then again, consider the fact that the tube shuts down at night, unlike New York. And if I think about the huge avenues back home (i.e. 9 de Julio, the widest in the world) together with our never ending noise, chaos, havoc, crazy-driving and histrionic people (not to mention the underworld of drugs and sex, which makes even Amsterdam look innocent), London just feels like a quiet place in comparison. I don't mean to slag it off, in fact I love London and I'd like to live there again in the future. Maybe if I came from a small village I would be impressed by its energy, but I come from another 12-million-people-city (admittedly, a third world place) which has even more energy. That being said, London does feel like the 'center of the world' and its multiculturalism is really impressive, while the cultural offer is world class. The infrastructure is also great and I found Londoners to be extremely friendly and interesting, with a great sense of humor. Not a big fan of the food though!

Paris is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. It's my favorite place in the world, however most Parisians I met were quite rude and unpleasant, despite the fact that I spoke french and approached them with good manners. Of course, I don't pretend to generalize, since I also have a great Parisian friend who doesn't fit the mold... The architecture is amazing and most of the city still have that "old world charm" that few areas in London have. It's a real pleasure to walk around with no direction or purpose, just enjoying being there. But I believe the purpose of this thread is to rank these cities according to their world-class level. In that case, then London wins. I'd rather live in Paris though.
Not everyone defines "energy and vibe" as lots of people wandering around drunk in the small hours. It includes as much the daytime experience and intangibles - in large part a transcendental thing that's difficult to pin down and define.

Some cities need to resort to uninhibited excess to convey a sense of excitement, impressiveness, refinement, class, beauty, and so on; some don't because these properties are part of the ambient fabric.

Last edited by Yousseff; 11-22-2014 at 11:19 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 07:57 AM

33 posts, read 43,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Not everyone defines "energy and vibe" as lots of people wandering around drunk in the small hours. It includes as much the daytime experience and intangibles - in large part a transcendental thing that's difficult to pin down and define.

Some cities need to resort to uninhibited excess to convey a sense of excitement, impressiveness, refinement, class, beauty, and so on; some don't because these properties are part of the ambient fabric.
I agree, but then again, a city like Berlin has much more "energy and vibe", "atmosphere" and "things going on" than London. Of course, this depends on our subjective perceptions of reality, so there is no correct definition. But to me, London's "energy" is overrated. I make it clear again that I love the city anyway.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorro View Post
I agree, but then again, a city like Berlin has much more "energy and vibe", "atmosphere" and "things going on" than London. Of course, this depends on our subjective perceptions of reality, so there is no correct definition. But to me, London's "energy" is overrated. I make it clear again that I love the city anyway.
This is where I stop taking any of your posts seriously. Sorry, but really.

New York, London and Hong Kong vie for the top energy wise. Berlin would be lucky to make it into the top twelve.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 AM

367 posts, read 409,309 times
Berlin is much better than it used to be, but still pretty depressing in many places. However, as German cities go, nowhere near as bad as Dusseldorf. Potsdam is pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World