Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one if your favorite
NYC 121 37.81%
Paris 50 15.63%
Tokyo 51 15.94%
London 98 30.63%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,027 times

Advertisements

Paris
NYC
London
Tokyo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
I had the chance of being in the four cities

1. Paris (well, it is home, its beauty is unbeatable by any large city, even if we have to cross the gloomy suburbs)
2. Tokyo (so exotic, so foreign in all points, huge, ultra modern and traditional at once)
3. New York (mythical city, the babylon of 20th century)

4. London (I never really understood the exitement about that city; doesn't have the historic prettiness of Paris or Rome without having the gigantism of New York and Tokyo. but the fact that it is so easily reacheable from Paris, and that local life seems like a mini-New York (mix of traders with starbuck coffea with tourists and various ethnic communities) makes it a interesting destination for us, but I would prefer 10 times New York to London.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
The funny thing is, I completely expected that post when I clicked on this thread. I guess some people are just too predictable with their posts.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
4. London (I never really understood the exitement about that city; doesn't have the historic prettiness of Paris or Rome without having the gigantism of New York and Tokyo. but the fact that it is so easily reacheable from Paris, and that local life seems like a mini-New York (mix of traders with starbuck coffea with tourists and various ethnic communities) makes it a interesting destination for us, but I would prefer 10 times New York to London.
LOLOL so you're a French that doesn't like London. What else is new?

Nevermind the fact that London is in all actuality a rival of New York & Tokyo and Paris is just the black sheep of the group. The city that does not belong in this tier but is consistently lumped in with them. Frankly, Paris belongs in the next tier with Hong Kong. London, Tokyo, & New York have larger economies, they more influential on the global level, & they are the three largest financial centers in the world- each for their respective quadrants of the world. Tokyo for the Pacific Rim, London for Europe/Africa, & New York for the western hemisphere.

LOL @ "giganticism" & Starbucks. Please, Paris is a leisure destination, an important city but so are the other three & they're significantly ahead of Paris in modern times.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
I don't disagree with your post overall, but some things you wrote aren't entirely true. The size of London's and Paris' economies are roughly equal, behind Los Angeles, with NYC and Tokyo being much larger. Also Paris may be a "leisure destination", but it's also the second congress city in the world. Btw lots of French people like London.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
What about the radiation factor in Tokyo?? Am I the only one bringing this up?
There is little to no radiation in Tokyo. For one the nuclear explosion happened nearly 6 months ago about 70 miles away from tokyo and has only a slightly larger amount of nuclear debris then The 3 mile incident. Besides being on a airplane is actually more dangerous place to get radiation then being INSIDE a nuclear plant.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I don't disagree with your post overall, but some things you wrote aren't entirely true. The size of London's and Paris' economies are roughly equal, behind Los Angeles, with NYC and Tokyo being much larger. Also Paris may be a "leisure destination", but it's also the second congress city in the world. Btw lots of French people like London.
Yeahh by GDP they're relatively close but if we're only going by "GDP" as any indication for why an economy is stronger than Los Angeles should be the worlds third most important city. No way that's happening. I can see where the confusion came from, I said "larger economies" that's not true- I meant that in their economies being more globally influential.

London's economy is more tied to the world, whether it's by extension of it's political clout in which case it's tied immensely with the United States & Israel as well as the financial markets of New York & Tokyo. Paris isn't that same way, it plays a relative backseat to London on that front. Paris is the most leisure friendly city in the world with I believe the most tourists and then London, New York, as well as Tokyo round out the top echelon of that as well with London being only slightly behind Paris on that. That's a draw.

For innovation Tokyo takes it, it's a leader in the group then it's New York & London. Paris once again plays a backseat to that. Paris cant keep up with London in energy, technology, & such either.

Paris is a great city, a great city for the world- but in my opinion it's not far fetched to say & see global studies topping New York, London, or Tokyo but it is for Paris. Just like Hong Kong, it's a powerful city but for that reason, it's behind those other three.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
I believe you underestimate a bit Paris.

2012 Global Cities Index - Full Report - A.T.*Kearney

Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
I believe you underestimate a bit Paris.
Yeahhh I'm not at all doubting that Paris isn't a powerful city, it's top 5- no question about it obviously.

What I'm saying though, is it really possible to call it the worlds most powerful city?

I've seen rankings that have for Tokyo, as well as rankings that have for London, & rankings (such as yours) that have for New York.

I haven't seen such a case for Paris. If I had to say myself, it's probably the fourth most important city in the world (no way it's in front of Tokyo) and right in front of Hong Kong. I just think both Paris & Hong Kong are just one tiny step behind the London, New York, & Tokyo tier. Seriously, that's all I'm getting at. That and the fact that describing London as a "mini New York" is the most retarded thing I've read all day.

The other thing is, finance moves the world economy, yes it's not the end all & be all but it's significant and Paris is not up there with London or New York or Tokyo on that. It's the next tier with Hong Kong.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
1. New York
2. Paris
3. London
4. Tokyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World