Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,926 times

Advertisements

Sydney = San Diego + San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Sydney = San Diego + San Francisco
Sydney has the beach culture of SD with the urban feel/diversity of SF.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:28 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sydney traffic is horrible.

Aside from having sprawling metros I actually don't see much similarities between the two cities. Maybe Americans whose only experience of Oz is Sydney say that, but structurally LA is probably more like Melbourne, more flat. Sydney has a strong core, LA has a very weak core/multiple cores. Sydney compares more with San Fran.
I've been to Melbourne, Sydney & LA..

Yeah LA is very flat, but it has big mountains and a longer coastline then Sydney & Melbourne.

Yeah also LA has many 'cores'.. downtown LA isn't even a major destination like how downtown NYC is.. But LA is very sprawled out, so it has naturally developed multiple cities within the basin..

Similar to Sydney, you have CBD a the 'downtown' Sydney and you also have major areas such as Chatswood, Parramatta which are significant cores..

Melbourne only has 1 major core, the City part.. Kinda like San Francisco..

I would say Melbourne is compares more with SF than LA and Sydney more with LA than SF.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I've been to Melbourne, Sydney & LA..

Yeah LA is very flat, but it has big mountains and a longer coastline then Sydney & Melbourne.

Yeah also LA has many 'cores'.. downtown LA isn't even a major destination like how downtown NYC is.. But LA is very sprawled out, so it has naturally developed multiple cities within the basin..

Similar to Sydney, you have CBD a the 'downtown' Sydney and you also have major areas such as Chatswood, Parramatta which are significant cores..

Melbourne only has 1 major core, the City part.. Kinda like San Francisco..

I would say Melbourne is compares more with SF than LA and Sydney more with LA than SF.
Sydney and LA both have a strong beach culture, but I think Sydney feels more like a 'real city.' It also does have other major centres like Parramatta, Penrith, Liverpool, Gosford, Wollongong.etc.

Geelong is kind of becoming part of the greater Melbourne area although it maintains it's own identity. It's kind of like what Wollongong is to Sydney.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Sydney traffic is horrible. Structurally LA is probably more like Melbourne, more flat. Sydney has a strong core, LA has a very weak core/multiple cores. Sydney compares more with San Fran.
Also both Melbourne and LA lie on the sea, but their respective downtowns lie miles inland.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:20 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Having been to Sydney, it is nothing like any American city I can think of. It is far more like a British or European city than it is like an American one.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:31 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Having been to Sydney, it is nothing like any American city I can think of. It is far more like a British or European city than it is like an American one.
Wrong..

Sydney has plenty of high-rise buildings like USA..

And the outer areas are suburban with houses (McMansions) like USA.. And everyone owns SUVs and has swimming pools in their houses.. Europe doesn't have that.

Europe is completley different.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Also both Melbourne and LA lie on the sea, but their respective downtowns lie miles inland.
Its interesting that while you think as Melbourne as the least 'beachy' capital it has a longer coastline than any other city. It's downtown is also closer to the ocean, well bay, than any other capital.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
In what way?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
In what way?
I was there as a tourist but I also have family in Sydney and spent a decent amount of time with them. So I saw Sydney from a couple of different angles ... the downtown but also the northern suburbs. There are lots of things that make it feel more British than American. They drive on the left, school uniforms, no tipping, no added tax on purchases, the architecture, etc..

That does not mean that there are no similarities with the USA. After all, we live in an increasingly global world. So it is a question of degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World