Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Italian city outside Europe?
New York City, NY 57 25.11%
New Haven, CT 1 0.44%
Providence, RI 9 3.96%
Boston, MA 4 1.76%
Philadelphia, PA 4 1.76%
Toronto, ON 23 10.13%
Melbourne, Australia 12 5.29%
Sydney, Australia 1 0.44%
Perth, Australia 1 0.44%
Buenos Aires, Argentina 78 34.36%
Montevideo, Uruguay 8 3.52%
Other 29 12.78%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 PM

7,873 posts, read 10,228,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Buenos Aires is notable because it probably, despite the language being Spanish, would give off more of an Italian vibe than Spanish. Especially a northern Italian vibe. Like, despite the fact that Spanish culture (being Latin/Catholic/Romance) is similar to Italian in some ways, you wouldn't get an Italian vibe from other cities in Latin America that did not have direct Italian influence.

the wealthy comercial high st fashion parts of buenos aires reminded me of milan

i didnt think BA was that great of a city however , much perfer madrid or barcelona in spain

Old 09-22-2012, 04:22 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,249,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the wealthy comercial high st fashion parts of buenos aires reminded me of milan

i didnt think BA was that great of a city however , much perfer madrid or barcelona in spain
BA is worth 3 days, max. You can see all you need to see. Anything worth seeing is in a fairly compact area, either Microcentro or Barrio Norte/Recoleta. That said, I don't think Madrid is that interesting (clean, yes). Barcelona is very overrated and saved by the fact that you can walk from hotels to the beach. Milan needs no more than 1 day. Most places in SA, Spain or Italy that are worth more than 3 days are relaxing beach locales.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,949,148 times
None of them really. Sure there are many people that have Italian heritage in places such as Toronto, Montreal, New York, Buenos Aires and Melbourne and Italian culture is still evident there. The people of Italian heritage have largely integrated in their countries. Maybe not with the immigrants but the ones that were born in those cities.

Last edited by other99; 09-22-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 07:03 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,295,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
BA is worth 3 days, max. You can see all you need to see. Anything worth seeing is in a fairly compact area, either Microcentro or Barrio Norte/Recoleta. That said, I don't think Madrid is that interesting (clean, yes). Barcelona is very overrated and saved by the fact that you can walk from hotels to the beach. Milan needs no more than 1 day. Most places in SA, Spain or Italy that are worth more than 3 days are relaxing beach locales.
Wow, then what the hell do you consider cities there are worth more than 3 days? Madrid, barcelona, Milan, and Buenos Aires have a ton to see and do. It's a pretty close minded view IMO. One thing is not liking a city but it's another saying that these cities aren't worth more than a few days to a week. Unless of course you are the type that seeks out places like Times Square, Fisherman's wharf or Navy Pier for your visits.thenit makes sense.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:11 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,249,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Wow, then what the hell do you consider cities there are worth more than 3 days? Madrid, barcelona, Milan, and Buenos Aires have a ton to see and do. It's a pretty close minded view IMO. One thing is not liking a city but it's another saying that these cities aren't worth more than a few days to a week. Unless of course you are the type that seeks out places like Times Square, Fisherman's wharf or Navy Pier for your visits.thenit makes sense.
Come on. I like cities for their "meat and potatoes" attractions. I don't like museums or cultural exhibits that much nor do I partake much, if at all, in nightlife. Never have. SF is so compact that you can loop it in 1 to 2 days. I've taken out-of-towners on this run, and they left quite satisfied. It even included a BART ride across the bay to earthy-crunch Berkeley. How long does it take to see the Loop, the Sears Tower, John Hancock and photograph "the corn cobs," as well as some other things in Chi-town? Not long.

For me to stay in a city more than 3 days, there have to be natural setting side trips. Lisbon is such a city, because of all the beaches. Ditto for Rio de Janeiro and ditto for Montreal (mountain towns to the north, Quebec City). I could spend more time in Punta del Este at the beach than I could in Buenos Aires. Everybody's different.

But this is about Italy , and Lisbon is not very Italian at all.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 PM

615 posts, read 3,196,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I'm not surprised. Buenos Aires has a very Italian, in particular [b]northern[b] Italian vibe.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:37 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,295,450 times
Quote:
Come on. I like cities for their "meat and potatoes" attractions. I don't like museums or cultural exhibits that much nor do I partake much, if at all, in nightlife. Never have. SF is so compact that you can loop it in 1 to 2 days. I've taken out-of-towners on this run, and they left quite satisfied. It even included a BART ride across the bay to earthy-crunch Berkeley. How long does it take to see the Loop, the Sears Tower, John Hancock and photograph "the corn cobs," as well as some other things in Chi-town? Not long.

For me to stay in a city more than 3 days, there have to be natural setting side trips. Lisbon is such a city, because of all the beaches. Ditto for Rio de Janeiro and ditto for Montreal (mountain towns to the north, Quebec City). I could spend more time in Punta del Este at the beach than I could in Buenos Aires. Everybody's different.

But this is about Italy , and Lisbon is not very Italian at all.
There is a big difference saying you prefer to spend your time at the beach, than saying a city
Like buenos aires has only enough to see for a few days. That's fine if 3 days satisfies you but that doesn't mean the city doesn't offer more. If anything most of the time the more real parts of cities are outside the touristy areas and have just as much to offer. I am not criticizing you for preferring to be at the beach, but just don't say you can see everything buenos aires offers in a few days because that is not true. It's a very superficial view. I spent a week in SF and there was more than enough to do and I didn't get to do everything I wanted. I'm a actually a beach guy too and not into museums, but That doesn't mean that those cities have little to offer.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:29 AM

497 posts, read 978,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
You wouldnt see that anywhere outside Italy.
In the right town in rural Victoria you will and when you compare that to the city of Melbourne, and all the different suburbs occupied by its 4m residents, I can't agree that Melbourne is an Italian city.

Melbourne is multicultural and Italian is just one of many influences.

I think it would be the same for other cities too. For Buenos Aires, for example, there would probably some towns and small cities in Argentina that are more Italian than it is. It's just that they're small, and insignificant, and we just don't know about them.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 AM

7,873 posts, read 10,228,605 times
Quote:
barcelona is one of my favourite cities in the world

Old 09-23-2012, 01:12 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,207,034 times
No North African Cities? They are heavily influenced by italy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World