Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Italian city outside Europe?
New York City, NY 57 25.11%
New Haven, CT 1 0.44%
Providence, RI 9 3.96%
Boston, MA 4 1.76%
Philadelphia, PA 4 1.76%
Toronto, ON 23 10.13%
Melbourne, Australia 12 5.29%
Sydney, Australia 1 0.44%
Perth, Australia 1 0.44%
Buenos Aires, Argentina 78 34.36%
Montevideo, Uruguay 8 3.52%
Other 29 12.78%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 AM

317 posts, read 528,047 times

Advertisements

Perth

Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think the New York Italians are more assimilated by now. Many New Yorkers don't know much about Italy except the Jersey Shore, and to say it's cool they're Italian.

Toronto Italians seem more Italian. Many are tied in to where they came from, regionally, and speak the language. An Italian radio program founded by Johnny Lombardi blares all day long. Alitalia goes to Rome and Milan daily from Toronto. There are some 650,000 of them in the metro area, so that's a substantial portion of the 4 million metro population.

That would make Toronto the 6th or 7th largest city in Italy if it's Italian population stood alone.
Are they as 'proud to be Italian' as the ones in the US and Oz? It seems not.

Surprised Melbourne hasn't got any votes (although I voted NYC) as along with NYC it's one of the world cities I associate with Italians.

I wonder if the Italians in BA are more integrated? Do they make BA any more different to the rest of S.America?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder if the Italians in BA are more integrated? Do they make BA any more different to the rest of S.America?
This is quite an interesting article by an Italian American about the Italian influences in BA.
http://www.niaf.org/publications/amb...enos-Aires.pdf

Old 09-15-2012, 08:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
Quote:
Where would it be then?
i don't think any city outside Europe is even remotely Italian. The people who live there might have Italian ancestry but that's it.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
i don't think any city outside Europe is even remotely Italian. The people who live there might have Italian ancestry but that's it.

UUMMMM......dunno what to put here.........take a look at this one

London was founded by the Romans under Claudius in 43 AD with the name Londinium, a fortified settlement equipped near the modern London Bridge. In Londinium the Italians did teach how to build walls, temples and streets...etc etc. In the third century London already had 30 000 inhabitants and with the Emperor Diocletian became the capital of the province Maxima Cesariensis and the economic capital of the whole Britain.

Not so bad for the first Italians abroad ..... they are everywhere..... among us .... they are Italians

Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
UUMMMM......dunno what to put here.........take a look at this one

London was founded by the Romans under Claudius in 43 AD with the name Londinium, a fortified settlement equipped near the modern London Bridge. In Londinium the Italians did teach how to build walls, temples and streets...etc etc. In the third century London already had 30 000 inhabitants and with the Emperor Diocletian became the capital of the province Maxima Cesariensis and the economic capital of the whole Britain.

Not so bad for the first Italians abroad ..... they are everywhere..... among us .... they are Italians
Also, the New World was 'founded' by an Italian from Genoa, Columbus, and America was supposed to have been named after Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian explorer from Florence. Heck even John Cabot was Italian.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,085 times
Quote:
Also, the New World was 'founded' by an Italian from Genoa, Columbus, and America was supposed to have been named after Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian explorer from Florence. Heck even John Cabot was Italian.

Hi

you are right, I bet that the first to build something on the moon will be the Italians ( maybe a spaghetti house ) they never stop themselves

Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
That's nice miticoman, nothing I didn't already know, and I'm not really sure what your point is, London is in Europe after all.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I think you'll find a majority of Argentinians are of mixed European descent, though at least 45% of Argentineans have some Italian ancestry. That is unmatched anywhere else in the world besides nearby Uruguay and certain pockets of Brazil.

In Buenos Aires this percentage would be even higher being the first port of call for most migrants. For most of the 19th and 20th centuries Italian migrants outnumbered Spaniards 2 to 1.
the nationality of the original founding father country is often not included when listing the most common ancestry of a countrys population , hence why germany instead of england comes out on top in the usa and italy comes out on top in argentina , spain is way out ahead in reality

Old 09-15-2012, 10:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Quote:
Are they as 'proud to be Italian' as the ones in the US and Oz? It seems not.

Surprised Melbourne hasn't got any votes (although I voted NYC) as along with NYC it's one of the world cities I associate with Italians.

Yes...good question/point. Although Chicago is not an option in this survey (maybe by virtue of their numbers, maybe because of their assimilation, maybe something else) but they are certainly 'proud to be Italian', even in the best possible description of that term, still today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World