Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Italian city outside Europe?
New York City, NY 57 25.11%
New Haven, CT 1 0.44%
Providence, RI 9 3.96%
Boston, MA 4 1.76%
Philadelphia, PA 4 1.76%
Toronto, ON 23 10.13%
Melbourne, Australia 12 5.29%
Sydney, Australia 1 0.44%
Perth, Australia 1 0.44%
Buenos Aires, Argentina 78 34.36%
Montevideo, Uruguay 8 3.52%
Other 29 12.78%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Correct. It's picked up the spill-over from Chinatown. The exact same thing has happened in San Francisco. North Beach used to be Italian on the north side of Columbus Ave. and Chinese on the south side of it. That is no longer the case. Columbus Ave. has become a joke. There's a handful of newer restaurants and the long-standing pizzerias, but as soon as you get behind Columbus Ave., there's not much of anything Italian left. The old folks have been dying off for a while. They probably bequeathed this expensive real estate to their kids, who probably cashed it in and are living in the nice suburbs. North Beach housing is actually crappy until you get to Telegraph Hill, where you can actually drive into a townhome's drive-under garage.
Sad to see even historic white neighborhoods go the way of the dodo. Many historic black neighborhoods are turning into white neighborhoods; at least most of these will retain some black populations. I'm sure Little Italy in Manhattan and San Fran will be entirely Chinese by 2020. LOL, San Fran will probably be entirely Chinese altogether by 2030 (sarcasm).

Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Little Italy in Manhattan hasn't been Italian for decades.
Well, NYC has the highest number of people with Italian ancestry outside of Italy, right? Isn't it like 600,000-700,000 in the entire city?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:59 AM

497 posts, read 983,474 times
I'm not talking about cities here, so you can ignore this if it's not relevant, but I think a town would be more Italian than a city.

New world countries would have contenders for this and when you think about these places and then think about the cities (and I mean the whole city, not just a cherry picked district) then they really show that the cities aren't really that Italian (though I'm not commenting on places like Buenos Aires, I'll leave that one alone).

Things like being surrounded by Italian people, with Italian names. Seeing the Italian flag. Seeing Italian restaurants and cafes. Going to a medical clinic and seeing brochures printed in your country's language, and other ones printed in Italian, but no others printed in any other language. Going to clubs and seeing photos of that past where most people in them are Italian. Schools having Italian as the second language that is taught.

From my Australian perspective, I don't see this in Melbourne (and I mean all of Melbourne), but in the right rural area, I do.

I would imagine other countries would be the same and have rural areas, and small cities, that are more Italian than their big cities.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 AM

231 posts, read 332,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Well, NYC has the highest number of people with Italian ancestry outside of Italy, right? Isn't it like 600,000-700,000 in the entire city?
Yeh and most cant speak a word of it

Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
I'm not talking about cities here, so you can ignore this if it's not relevant, but I think a town would be more Italian than a city.

New world countries would have contenders for this and when you think about these places and then think about the cities (and I mean the whole city, not just a cherry picked district) then they really show that the cities aren't really that Italian (though I'm not commenting on places like Buenos Aires, I'll leave that one alone).

Things like being surrounded by Italian people, with Italian names. Seeing the Italian flag. Seeing Italian restaurants and cafes. Going to a medical clinic and seeing brochures printed in your country's language, and other ones printed in Italian, but no others printed in any other language. Going to clubs and seeing photos of that past where most people in them are Italian. Schools having Italian as the second language that is taught.

From my Australian perspective, I don't see this in Melbourne (and I mean all of Melbourne), but in the right rural area, I do.

I would imagine other countries would be the same and have rural areas, and small cities, that are more Italian than their big cities.
You wouldnt see that anywhere outside Italy.

The difference with Melbourne is that for as diverse as it is the big 4 communities are Italians, Chinese, Greeks and in the last 10 yrs Indians, these 4 nationalities stand out bigtime because they have populations that destroy everything else in the city, we dont have many hispanics here, hell i've never met a mexican in my life, its not like new york that seems to have massive amounts of everything in it.

fwiw we were taught Italian at my school

Its the same with Greeks, the NY/NJ area has about double the Greek population of Melbourne, but they stand out much more here due to our smaller population and less diversity...you wont find many mexicans, south americans (all of them), dominicans, puerto ricans, russians, poles etc here, this means the italian, greek etc cultures stand out more.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
You wouldnt see that anywhere outside Italy.

The difference with Melbourne is that for as diverse as it is the big 4 communities are Italians, Chinese, Greeks and in the last 10 yrs Indians, these 4 nationalities stand out bigtime because they have populations that destroy everything else in the city, we dont have many hispanics here, hell i've never met a mexican in my life, its not like new york that seems to have massive amounts of everything in it.

fwiw we were taught Italian at my school

Its the same with Greeks, the NY/NJ area has about double the Greek population of Melbourne, but they stand out much more here due to our smaller population and less diversity...you wont find many mexicans, south americans (all of them), dominicans, puerto ricans, russians, poles etc here, this means the italian, greek etc cultures stand out more.
I've actually noticed many Poles. Also quite a few Russians, surprisingly. Croatians, Serbians, Macedonians also seem common here.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've actually noticed many Poles. Also quite a few Russians, surprisingly. Croatians, Serbians, Macedonians also seem common here.
Sure lots of Croatians in the western suburbs, macedonians in the north and serbs,russians and poles spread out, but im talking about big communities as in 100,000-200,000+ people, only the italians, greeks, chinese and soon Indians can boast having such populations here, my point was in an area like New York its common for dozens of nationalities to have that sort of figures, here we only have like a big 3-4... off the top of my head im pretty sure the italians, russians, poles are all over the million mark in the ny metro area...here our metro area is simply melbourne...anything outside is mostly country victoria/ bush land lol...therefore based on this topic Italians would stand out a lot more here in comparison to the much diverse american and canadian cities that have much larger populations.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Yeh and most cant speak a word of it
Even less so in the West.

Trimac, percentage wise, SF has always been more Italian than LA. LA has about 250,000 in the greater area. Except for downtown pockets which have gone Hispanic or Asian, the last presence is in San Pedro, the port district. There has never been a cohesive Italian identity in LA and, if there wasn't in the past, there never will be, even with the newer Italians who run trendy restaurants.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
St. Leonard, Quebec. When it was first platted and organized in the 1950s and 60s, it was virtualy all an Italian suburb of east-end Montreal, but it has grown rapidly, and now has a lot of other allophones living there, from Eastern Europe and other parts of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Leo....2F_Via_Italia

Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
St. Leonard, Quebec. When it was first platted and organized in the 1950s and 60s, it was virtualy all an Italian suburb of east-end Montreal, but it has grown rapidly, and now has a lot of other allophones living there, from Eastern Europe and other parts of the world.

St. Leonard, Quebec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Correct. More Italian than Little Italy. With the old folks dying off and others coming in, Montreal's Italian communities, like St. Leonard, will become a shred of what they once were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World