Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

This question may seem strange, and obviously in all countries it depends on many factors, e.g. income, marital status, etc. But in general, how often do people eat out in your country (or, if you want to be more specific, city?).

Americans, especially pre-recession, ate out very often - something like five times a week. We have a million fast food chains to show for it, as well as proper restaurant chains (Applebee's, Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden) alongside their independent competitors, and newer "fast-casual" joints like Quizno's and Panera. Dinner out used to be a big thing in a normal American family, reserved for major life events, but now it's a weekly or bi-weekly habit in many families, and especially was prior to the recession. We personally went out on three nights a week and ordered or went out pretty much every day for lunch at our peak.

What's the case in your country? On one hand, I've read that in many European countries, the old habit of dining out being a special event is conserved, while I know that in some apartments in Singapore do not even include a kitchen - the supply of cheap, safe street food is simply too great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 02:54 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
It's becoming increasingly common to eat out and is by no means reserved just for special occasions, but the prices for restaurant/takeaway food in Australia are still quite expensive in comparison to a lot of other countries which means it's not quite an everyday thing for most people.

Below are some of the results of a recent survey of the eating habits of Australians:

What Australians Eat
Quote:
On average, Australians eat out 3.5 times a month and buy takeaway food 4.1 times.
Men eat out 3.9 times on average, while women dine out 3.2 times.
People who earn $40,000 to $60,000 a year eat out 3.5 times each month and get takeaway on 3.7 occasions.
People who earn more than $150,000 eat out 4.7 times and get takeaway 5.6 times.
BIS Shrapnel 2011

Most popular restaurants
Chinese.
Thai.
Modern Australian.
Italian.
Fish/seafood.
Indian.
Japanese.

Biggest restaurant losers since 2000
Italian has shrunk from 23 per cent to 10 per cent.
Modern Australian has shrunk from 17 per cent to 12 per cent.

Biggest restaurant winners since 2000
Chinese has grown from 14 per cent to 18 per cent.
Thai has grown from 9 per cent to 13 per cent.

Coffee and cafes
Number of coffees consumed in cafes and restaurants last year: 2.8 billion.
Number of coffees consumed in cafes and restaurants in 2004: 1.3 billion.
Half of all coffee is consumed in cafes, three times that of 2004.
Number of meals eaten in cafes last year, 718 million, as opposed to 305 million in 2004

Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,615,202 times
Depends on the person. But usually. Breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner. During the working day usually dinner only, but again depends on the work.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:51 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,420 times
In Russia it's very common, with a lot of people eating out 5 times a week. Youngsters often meet in cafes. Takeaways are very popular. Plus all kinds of fast food, including street vendors.

Costs are just as different as incomes. A complex dinner starts from $5.

Back in USSR there were cheap diners everywhere, public and operated by employers, where almost all people ate once or more a day.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:51 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ Russian people eat OUT for breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner? Every day??
Been in Russia many times, and can't say that they eat out a lot. They do go out to eat, yes, but not for every meal of the day.

Restaurants were not highly developed under communism, but the post-Soviet period has seen an explosion of restaurants, cafés, and fast-food places in the cities. The majority of people never eat out, for economic reasons and because they feel that restaurants do not provide food as good as that prepared at home. Restaurants and cafés cater largely to the new business classes. Workplace cafeterias and buffets still serve rudimentary midday meals for workers, but even these inexpensive meals are out of reach for many people
http://www.everyculture.com/No-Sa/Russia.html#b

^^^ that's what I observed.
Young professionals, singles, urbanites go out more often, but I didn't observed all people go out all the times. They love to cook at home for their family and friends.

Last edited by elnina; 09-19-2012 at 04:02 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 03:57 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
It is not common in Norway. Eating out is way too expensive for most people. Buying take away regularly is considered low-class for adults (30+) and families.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Russian people eat OUT for breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner? Every day??
Been in Russia many times, and can't say that they eat out a lot. They do go out to eat, yes, but not for every meal of the day.

Restaurants were not highly developed under communism, but the post-Soviet period has seen an explosion of restaurants, cafés, and fast-food places in the cities. The majority of people never eat out, for economic reasons and because they feel that restaurants do not provide food as good as that prepared at home. Restaurants and cafés cater largely to the new business classes. Workplace cafeterias and buffets still serve rudimentary midday meals for workers, but even these inexpensive meals are out of reach for many people
Culture of Russia - history, people, clothing, traditions, women, beliefs, food, customs, family
Yes, but the Russians have no such obligation that you should. As I wrote so worth norm of public catering. In schools,kindergartens, hospitals, at work depending on the work. But is required for the construction work (in the winter even has a duty to drink tea (mini snack for 15-20 minutes) through every certain time, on ships also it is compulsory.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ yes, I agree, but eating at work, in cafeterias, schools, kindergartens or hospitals is not the same as going out to restaurants or cafes.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,420 times
Quote:
Every dining establishment offers "business lunches" (3-4-course dinners) - and they are full during lunch time. Even more people have takeaway lunches. Bringing food from home is very rare.

Quote:
Restaurants were not highly developed under communism
Diners (stolovie) were also restaurants, just not upscale.
Quote:
Young professionals, singles, urbanites go out more often, but I didn't observed all people go out all the times. They love to cook at home for their family and friends.
You've been to some other Russia. Older people prefer home food, but even they consume a lot of takeaways and fast food.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
^^^ yes, I agree, but eating at work, in cafeterias, schools, kindergartens or hospitals is not the same as going out to restaurants or cafes.
I love restaurants, and always find time for them, if you want a restaurant meal. But I am able to prepare everything that you want from any cuisine of the world, and can even make the cake. Topic called " how many times have eaten in your country. I replied in the norms of the Russian 4 times a day. But as a rule depends on the work and the person. But the public institution shall, what I wrote above. I suppose .love take the newspaper, go to a cafe, order a dessert .tea or coffee and resolve their cases in the cafe. It happens so that I have no time at all for the day to ea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World