Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2012, 12:15 PM
 
4,640 posts, read 13,952,237 times
Reputation: 4052

Advertisements

There is actually a lot of bordering countries that are very different from each other:

China-Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan

India-China

Singapore-Indonesia

India-Pakistan

South Korea-North Korea

Turkey-Iraq/Iran

Israel-Egypt/Jordan/Syria

UAE-Saudi Arabia/Oman/Iran

Tajikistan-Afghanistan

Russia-Azerbaijan

China-Russia

Russia-Mongolia

India-Myanmar

Bangladesh-Myanmar

Greece-Albania

France-Germany/Spain

Switzerland-Italy

USA-Mexico

Spain-Morocco

Ghana-Burkina Faso

Azerbaijan-Iran

Bhutan-China
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2012, 06:55 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,217,056 times
Reputation: 11862
^ I guess with North and South Korea I was thinking more of the cultural similarities.

I think Bhutan is pretty similar to Tibet, which adjoins it.

India and Pakistan are fairly similar too. There are 120 million Indian Muslims, mostly living in the western area bordering Pakistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Ohio, USA
1,085 posts, read 1,775,248 times
Reputation: 999
Afghanistan and China
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 AM
 
5,781 posts, read 11,899,194 times
Reputation: 4662
France and Germany. Each couldn't be more different from the other , and are pretty insular as long as their own culture is concerned; the Rhein/ Rhine river border is more than a mere political border, it separates also 2 wildly different ways of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,554 posts, read 87,220,443 times
Reputation: 36645
Belize and Guatemala.

Angola and Namibia

Indonesia and Papua New Guinea

Spain and Gibraltar/UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
17,916 posts, read 24,452,763 times
Reputation: 39045
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
France and Germany. Each couldn't be more different from the other , and are pretty insular as long as their own culture is concerned; the Rhein/ Rhine river border is more than a mere political border, it separates also 2 wildly different ways of life.
Look at a map, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM
 
520 posts, read 1,518,979 times
Reputation: 959
In my opinion France and Germany aren't THAT different. The difference between Poland-Germany is bigger than Germany-France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2012, 02:57 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,217,056 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
In my opinion France and Germany aren't THAT different. The difference between Poland-Germany is bigger than Germany-France.
I disagree. French maybe be the most Germanic of the Latin countries, but it's a world away from Germany and Germanic culture. Keep in mind I'm thinking 'typical' Parisian culture vs the culture in Berlin or Hamburg. Even Strasbourg is quite French these days.

Poland might be a Slavic country but it's not as purely Slavic as Russia, Ukraine.etc. I think the Slavic heartland is Eastern Orthodox as opposed to Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 AM
 
1,007 posts, read 2,020,923 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
There is actually a lot of bordering countries that are very different from each other:

China-Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan

India-China

Singapore-Indonesia

India-Pakistan

South Korea-North Korea

Turkey-Iraq/Iran

Israel-Egypt/Jordan/Syria

UAE-Saudi Arabia/Oman/Iran

Tajikistan-Afghanistan

Russia-Azerbaijan

China-Russia

Russia-Mongolia

India-Myanmar

Bangladesh-Myanmar

Greece-Albania

France-Germany/Spain

Switzerland-Italy

USA-Mexico

Spain-Morocco

Ghana-Burkina Faso

Azerbaijan-Iran

Bhutan-China
I think it should be Singapore-Malaysia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,217,056 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I think it should be Singapore-Malaysia
Singapore shares more in common with Malaysia than Indonesia. It was even part of Malaysia for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top