Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone's mentioned already, but Spain and Morocco too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 PM

192 posts, read 412,082 times
US and Mexico because of, well, everything. Language, food, quality of life, etc.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes I know Tibet is part of China. I'm not sure how similar Bhutan is to Tibet but they seem similar. Both speak a Sino-Tibetan language and are strongly Buddhist.

Of course when you look at the differences. But as far as bordering nations go I think India and Pakistan are still more alike than different. Urdu, the majority tongue in Pakistan, is very similar to Hindi. I think the mere fact that the two countries were artificially split up in 1947 shows that Pakistan is very similar to India, especially the Northwest.

Not sure what you mean when you say Indian women look so much better...you mean naturally, or the way they dress etc? I think Pakistan women look attractive, a bit more Middle Eastern looking than most Indians.

I was considering more cultural traits, but I don't think the UAE is much different to Saudi Arabia. It's more conservative than they would have you believe. Azerbaijan is also more similar to Iran than you'd think. Albania isn't hugely different to Serbia-Montenegro or Macedonia when compared to Greece apart from being Muslim.
Tibet and Bhutan do seem similar, but Tibet is getting increasing Chinese influence, and won’t separate from China anytime soon. It is somewhat surprising Taiwan was able to separate so easily with relative peace, yet not the situation for Tibet.

India and Pakistan still have plenty of differences that I said in the earlier post. I view India in a much better way than Pakistan.

India and Pakistan became separate countries for plenty of reasons.

UAE is still a lot more cosmopolitan/diverse/progressive than Saudi Arabia and are viewed very differently. Nowhere in Saudi Arabia comes close to Dubai.

For Azerbaijan, it appears to have Russian influence and Middle Eastern Turkish influence. I am not sure about Iranian influence, especially recently.

Albania is more similar to Serbia-Montenegro than Greece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
There is actually a lot of bordering countries that are very different from each other:

China-Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan

India-China

Singapore-Indonesia

India-Pakistan

South Korea-North Korea

Turkey-Iraq/Iran

Israel-Egypt/Jordan/Syria

UAE-Saudi Arabia/Oman/Iran

Tajikistan-Afghanistan

Russia-Azerbaijan

China-Russia

Russia-Mongolia

India-Myanmar

Bangladesh-Myanmar

Greece-Albania

France-Germany/Spain

Switzerland-Italy

USA-Mexico

Spain-Morocco

Ghana-Burkina Faso

Azerbaijan-Iran

Bhutan-China

Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
How about Spain and Morocco? A few enclaves of Spain are on the African continent.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
It seems like sea borders count...

USA and Russia
Australia and Papua New Guinea

Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Spain and Morocco, the are some areas inside Morocco which are and belong to Spain so it is not just a sea border.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
I said plenty of excellent connecting examples earlier but I forgot to say Austria-Italy and Austria-Slovakia for bordering countries that are very different from each other.

The reasoning for why they are very different from each other is for usual national character/personality tendencies, a lot of the scenery, the economy, and how other people view these countries internationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
There is actually a lot of bordering countries that are very different from each other:

China-Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan

India-China

Singapore-Indonesia

India-Pakistan

South Korea-North Korea

Turkey-Iraq/Iran

Israel-Egypt/Jordan/Syria

UAE-Saudi Arabia/Oman/Iran

Tajikistan-Afghanistan

Russia-Azerbaijan

China-Russia

Russia-Mongolia

India-Myanmar

Bangladesh-Myanmar

Greece-Albania

France-Germany/Spain

Switzerland-Italy

USA-Mexico

Spain-Morocco

Ghana-Burkina Faso

Azerbaijan-Iran

Bhutan-China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World