Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

What are the most important world cities with AT LEAST AROUND 4-5 million people that are not national capitals? Also, as a side-note, not state/provincial capitals?

New York, arguably still the world's no. 1 city, is neither a national OR a state capital, despite being in New York state.

After NYC I can think of a few that are not national capitals.

Some of the most prominent (although they may of course be STATE capitals)

New York, US (of course)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Los Angeles, US
Chicago, US
San Francisco, US
Philadelphia, US
Houston, US
Toronto, Canada
Barcelona, Spain
St. Petersburg, Russia
Istanbul, Turkey
Tianjin, China
Shanghai, China
Hong Kong, China
Shenzhen, China
Chongqing, China
Chengdu, China
Harbin, China
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Mumbai, India
Kolkata, India
Bangalore, India
Chennai, India
Karachi, Pakistan
Osaka, Japan
Lagos, Nigeria
Johannesburg, South Africa
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne, Australia

I'm considering cities with a metro of at least 4-5 million or so (as well as being prominent). Don't mention cities like Amsterdam or Munich or Dubai or Las Vegas.

I assume, though, that a large chunk of the above list are local/state/prefecture level capitals or seats of government. Are there any of the cities above which aren't capitals AT ALL aside from the American examples? In Australia all our big cities are at least state capitals (while in the states, weirdly, most of your capitals are small).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:55 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,129 times
Barcelona is most famous touristically, but Madrid is much bigger and economically, politically and culturally more important than Barcelona.

Last edited by chascarrillo; 09-26-2012 at 04:31 AM..

Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Milan, Italy
Frankfurt, Germany

Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What are the most important world cities with AT LEAST AROUND 4-5 million people that are not national capitals? Also, as a side-note, not state/provincial capitals?

New York, arguably still the world's no. 1 city, is neither a national OR a state capital, despite being in New York state.

New York, US (of course)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Los Angeles, US
Chicago, US
San Francisco, US
Philadelphia, US
Houston, US
Toronto, Canada
Barcelona, Spain
St. Petersburg, Russia
Istanbul, Turkey
Tianjin, China
Shanghai, China
Hong Kong, China
Shenzhen, China
Chongqing, China
Chengdu, China
Harbin, China
Mumbai, India
Kolkata, India
Bangalore, India
Chennai, India
Karachi, Pakistan
Osaka, Japan
Lagos, Nigeria
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne, Australia

I'm considering cities with a metro of at least 4-5 million or so (as well as being prominent). Don't mention cities like Amsterdam or Munich or Dubai or Las Vegas.

I assume, though, that a large chunk of the above list are local/state/prefecture level capitals or seats of government. Are there any of the cities above which aren't capitals AT ALL aside from the American examples? In Australia all our big cities are at least state capitals (while in the states, weirdly, most of your capitals are small).
Toronto is the capital of the province of Ontario, which is Canada's largest province by population and has 40% or more of the country's population.

But the second (Montreal), third (Vancouver) and fourth (Calgary) largest cities in Canada have no capital status at all (neither federal nor provincial).

Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Glasgow, in British Scottish terms, not globally.

Milan
Shanghai
Guangzhou
Mumbai
Bangalore
Rio
Sao Paulo

Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I guess Frankfurt has a bigger metro than I expected, 5.6 million.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:

New York, US (of course)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Los Angeles, US
Chicago, US
San Francisco, US
Philadelphia, US
Houston, US
Toronto, Canada
Barcelona, Spain
St. Petersburg, Russia
Istanbul, Turkey
Tianjin, China
Shanghai, China
Hong Kong, China
Shenzhen, China
Chongqing, China
Chengdu, China
Harbin, China
Mumbai, India
Kolkata, India
Bangalore, India
Chennai, India
Karachi, Pakistan
Osaka, Japan
Lagos, Nigeria
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne, Australia

Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Toronto, Barcelona, Harbin, Johannesburg, Sydney, Melbourne, probably more in your list, especially the Chinese ones, are all state/provincial capital cities. I know you said you have capitals in your list, but doesn't that contradict the first paragraph in your OP that says which global cities are not capitals?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM

520 posts, read 1,514,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Milan, Italy
Frankfurt, Germany

Quote:
I guess Frankfurt has a bigger metro than I expected, 5.6 million.
Frankfurt is only a financial and transportation hub. Nothing more. It offers a good standard of living, however, its just a stiff "village" compared to Berlin in regard to size, culture, tourism, diversity, politics and history.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
It is still an important city, especially in Europe.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
4-5 million is a stupid threshold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World