Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Qatar 2 0.67%
United Arab Emirates 9 3.03%
Australia 10 3.37%
Canada 38 12.79%
United States of America 165 55.56%
Singapore 14 4.71%
United Kingdom 15 5.05%
Brazil 13 4.38%
Other 31 10.44%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

I would say Canada. It has a much higher % of overseas born than the US (30% vs about 10%), and Toronto and Vancouver are 50% born overseas. Toronto also has a diversity (people from all over) almost matching NYC. Outside a few big cities the US isn't all that multicultural. After Canada I'd say Australia, although lack New World immigrants as you'd expect. NZ and US would be similar...the UK is not even in the running outside London, IMO. It's still like 90% British. Singapore and the UAE are too but they are mostly Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 PM

347 posts, read 695,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I would say Canada. It has a much higher % of overseas born than the US (30% vs about 10%), and Toronto and Vancouver are 50% born overseas. Toronto also has a diversity (people from all over) almost matching NYC. Outside a few big cities the US isn't all that multicultural. After Canada I'd say Australia, although lack New World immigrants as you'd expect. NZ and US would be similar...the UK is not even in the running outside London, IMO. It's still like 90% British. Singapore and the UAE are too but they are mostly Asian.
Isn`t Canada like 90% European descent? And the US is something like 80% I believe. By your logic if Singapore and UAE are mostly Asian and not multicultural then neither are the US and Canada. Last time I checked Asia had myriad cultures.Or do you weight European origin diversity(which the US and Canada certainly have) more heavily than the many cultures that make up Asia.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 PM

637 posts, read 1,027,015 times
Quote:
I totally agree Trimac, your post imo is spot on.

However, I'm sure USA's gonna run away with this poll, as most of posters on C-D are americans
and would assume US is the number one diverse nation, and the US is diverse, relatively speaking, but
Canada and some other nations like Australia have had considerably higher % immigration
rates in recent years (about last 30 years, coincidently about the time western europeans stopped immigrating in significant numbers).

US has alot of people with non-anglo surnames, german, irish, french, polish, etc
but in most cases have been in USA a few generations and now identify mainly as americans
with almost no connection to the "old country", the "melting pot" scenario,
which imo is probably a good thing.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 PM

347 posts, read 695,964 times
Most multi cultural country IMO would be somewhere like Suriname with the largest ethnic and religious majority being well under 50%. Places like Canada and the US have very diverse big cities. You can literally go one hour away from Toronto and be in a town like Kitchener that is about 90% European. Places like Suriname have a more even distribution

Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 PM

420 posts, read 823,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Isn`t Canada like 90% European descent? And the US is something like 80% I believe. By your logic if Singapore and UAE are mostly Asian and not multicultural then neither are the US and Canada. Last time I checked Asia had myriad cultures.Or do you weight European origin diversity(which the US and Canada certainly have) more heavily than the many cultures that make up Asia.
Why do you lump all of Europe together? There are significant ethnic, cultural, linguistic and aesthetic differences across the board. Talking of "Asian" descent is just as nondescript as "European" descent.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
A bit off, Canada is 80% white and the US 72.4% white. But perhaps we should take into account how different the various cultures are, or how many of them there are? If you've got a 100 distinct cultures from all over the world making up, say, 20% of your population, you're more diverse then the Moncton area is even though a third of its population is Acadian. Sure the majority culture, in the case of Moncton that is English Canadians, is a lower percentage of the population but that's not the whole story and no one would say it's more diverse.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Measured as a % of the population Australias immigrant population is actually a bit higher than Canadas, though not qutie as diverse, British born people still represent almost 20% of Australias immigrant population.

Still for shear numbers you cannot go past the USA, despite the fact that about 1/3rd of its immigrant pop come from one country and the portion of its population who are first generation immigrants is really quite low.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-30-2012 at 01:21 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 12:45 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
A bit off, Canada is 80% white and the US 72.4% white. But perhaps we should take into account how different the various cultures are, or how many of them there are? If you've got a 100 distinct cultures from all over the world making up, say, 20% of your population, you're more diverse then the Moncton area is even though a third of its population is Acadian. Sure the majority culture, in the case of Moncton that is English Canadians, is a lower percentage of the population but that's not the whole story and no one would say it's more diverse.
Of course you should, a county that has 50% of its population as migrants from one black african country, with the remaining 50% being white locals who have lived in the country for generations would consist of 2 cultures and not be very multicultural at all.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-30-2012 at 12:53 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 03:45 AM

321 posts, read 960,571 times
That is a completely bizarre choice of countries for the poll, mixing countries that have temporary foreign workers who are not allowed to settle permanently with countries that permit immigration -- and of course ignoring the countries of the world with the highest percentage of immigrants.

One might also wonder what is meant by multicultural? I see here much discussion about white vs. non-white population percentages, but this is completely meaningless. In the United States, most of the white and black population have the same culture -- that's the whole point of a country being a melting pot. After two or three generations, the cultural differences tend to disappear.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:48 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Definitely the USA shortly followed by the UK.

Canada? No....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World