Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Qatar 2 0.67%
United Arab Emirates 9 3.03%
Australia 10 3.37%
Canada 38 12.79%
United States of America 165 55.56%
Singapore 14 4.71%
United Kingdom 15 5.05%
Brazil 13 4.38%
Other 31 10.44%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 12:09 AM

8 posts, read 4,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchanga View Post
Despite what Americans like to think, th most diverse country in the world is Papua New Guinea.

And it's not BS, it's actually proven by studies.

Not only they are genetically the most diverse people in the world, they are also the most linguistically diverse and the one with the most ethnic groups on the planet.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017...rld-here-s-why
"it's actually proven by studies"

It's a "gothca" claim. It isn't legitimate.

Micro, tribal diversity does not equal diversity from global immigration, with radically different races and religions living together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 12:26 AM

Okay, let's take this ridiculous nonsense one by one:

Quote:
come on, get real.... have you ever been outside the US ever?

The US is not that diverse:
Most of the USA outside of some diverse major cities is a homogenous blob of oversized suv's, shopping malls, churches, suburban sprawl.
[Mod cut: language]

Look at any statistical map of the distribution of various ethnic and racial groups, and your statement that America is a "homogeneous blob outside of some diverse major cities" smacks of performative condescension and ignorance. America is not the UK or France. It is a country with the most GAWC global cities in the world, and has a white population that is ethnically diverse in itself. There have been rurally based black communities, hispanic and native populations.

Also, I'm not sure why there's a tendency for people to disparage the US by garbling out random mentions of SUV's and shopping malls as if 1) it's some sort of insult or 2) as if it's some how specific to the US. That sentence could apply to any given area of the world.

Like, there's no other way to respond to it. You're assigning negativity to arbitrary items and loading the sentence so that it sounds like that's ALL America is, across it's third largest landmass. It's a cop out.

Because there's certainly more than SUV's in America, and there's more cities and populated small towns than shopping malls. The presence of "churches" is somehow unique to America? The US is not particularly known for churches anyways. What are you trying to claim? I mean, do you have any data that shows these items comprise a greater proportion of the American landmass than any other country's?

You don't prove that the US is less diverse because you can't. You just make erroneous claims to it's homogeneity and then do some word salad, assigning negativity to SUV's and Churches and Shopping malls, and claiming that this somehow has anything to do with the ethnic diversity argument. You could characterize anywhere that way. These things are ubiquitous throughout much of the world - if it's not SUV's, it's a different kind of car. Like...what is this point? It does nothing.

And nothing about the US could be described as a "homogeneous blob", and America is diverse because it maintain ethnic diversity outside of it's cities. When American's say we're diverse, we don't mean it in a European sense, which has longstanding ethnic homogeneity with only recent diversity in only a few cities.

Latin Americans seem stupid about the US and North America, and they don't seem to understand that the US has seen more immigration more consistently throughout history from more parts of Europe than Latin America has, and these people are diffuse throughout the US and it's array of cities...

And your claim that "outside of some major cities" - lmao, no other country has as many global, diverse cities as the US does.

Quote:
Many Americans think having different skin colors means diversity:
Americans focus too much on the color of people skin and assume that differences in skin color is what makes people diverse, not realizing that is culture, language, religion what truly makes people different from one another. Skin color is just a trait alongside hair texture, height, size of penis, eye color and roundness of hips in women.
Race is one of the most salient ways of measuring diversity, and that is not recognized in America. So there's not a particularly strong point here.

Ethnicity, which is attached to culture, religion, and language, is a feature of the discussion. That's what we're talking about. To keep impugning Americans are arguing something that they are not, specifically, just so you can score points here, is kind of dumb.

Quote:
Even the Hispanics in the US are not really diverse:
When you interact with a hispanic in the US (Except for miami and NYC) nine out of ten times it's always mexicans or central Americans mestizos.
This is your erroneous anecdote. It's also ridiculous. Mexicans and Central Americans are diverse, and the US has the most diverse, and one of the only, substantial Latin American diasporas in the world. You mentoning "it's only mexicans or central american mestizos" while complaining that the hispanic population in the US is homogeneous is contradictory and silly...

Quote:
In the Spanish speaking world there are millions of asians, whites, middle easterners, black spanish speakers, you would never know that by looking at the spanish speakers in the US who all look like mestizos from mexico and central America.

There is diversity in the US but lets not exagerate. Many of us have seen other lands and other forms of diversity and we have also visited the USA.
Not to the extent the US does - this is data. We can track immigration from around Europe and Asia as well as the slave trade, religious immigration, etc, and America has received more of it from different corners of the globe going back longer than much of Latin America has.

Last edited by elnina; 05-25-2021 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-25-2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
The US is also very good at taking foreigners, and turning them into tax paying, suv driving, suburban dwelling, speak english please, god fearing, average Americans in the matter of one or two generations.
You're from Latin America, talking about "god fearing" - this characterization of America is silly because it was the first major secular democracy, is known for religious pluralism, it doesn't have any religious impact on it's major culture, and it's getting, as most other western countries are, less religious.

I'm not sure why you keep ridiculously claiming that suburbs are the only places Americans live, and are somehow randomly bringing up SUV's with such malice.

[Mod cut: language/personal attack]

Also, have you been to Brazil? Or Europe? There's nothing to lead anyone to believe these features of society are different between America and Europe or Brazil - Brazilians, for example, live in crappy looking dwellings or condos or favelas in rings around poorer looking cities than Americans do, and they drive less expensive cars.

Last edited by elnina; 05-25-2021 at 12:40 PM..

Old 05-25-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
they are

my only interaction with franco canadians have been renting my house from one in the Glebe (south of Ottawa), and going to the supermarket in Gatineau.

It hit me, they are a beautiful people. You go from these round faced, sort of pale anglo looks, to this very continental features.

Some of them with beautiful eyes and pretty dark hair like french people are, most tall, and the women much more like women youd find in spain, italy, france.... make up, boots, hair done, nails done.

Then you cross back into ottawa and you go back to these anglo round features, and the whole pinkish complexion, and the tendency to be overweight.

it reminds me of landing in a plane in Colombia from north Carolina and suddenly realizing that I am seeing a lot of attractive exotic people once i got out of the plane.
North Carolina has a rich racial diversity and moderate European ethnic diversity. Think Ava Gardner, Chelsea Cooley, Lily-Rose and Johnny Depp have Melungeon ancestry from the upland south region.

Also, your claim is kind of odd. People roundly recognize Americans (in arbitrary, subjective surveys of "what nationality is most attractive") more than pretty much any nationality, as attractive, for obvious reasons of visibility and diversity - as they would, probability-wise, in terms of population size and genetic diversity. At least, tallying up the results I'm finding online, America performs the best of any country across these kinds of polls, even with the superpower visibility and scrutinization it sees, which can beget negativity...

I do not find Canadian women incredibly attractive, at least not specifically. Canadian women look pale and plain to me. Canadian men have always struck me as more attractive.

There's not much genetic differences in French and British features, on the whole. In North America and beyond, they both have unflattering and attractive variations. In Quebec, you mostly still have English, French, Irish influence, etc. Montreal's diversity is typical for the northeast of North America - where you have, for example, a lot of Italians in the northeastern USA.

To your point about Colombia, I also find that the prevalence of disease and malnourishment and poverty in general means that I don't recognize a lot of attractive people in a place like South America compared to North Carolina. There are fitter, more attractive men in North Carolina by far than there are in Colombia. That's in spite of any kind of broad, gross generalization of a region or ethnic group as "overweight" - these claims are always nebulous, indefinable, anecdotal "gotcha" jibes, that are never reliably confirmable or very visible. There are plenty of obese, waddling, indigenous looking women in South America whenever I visit, and the people are always much shorter than they are in America.

Spaniards, Italians, French people are not known for their height. Personal grooming is individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World