Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Qatar 2 0.67%
United Arab Emirates 9 3.03%
Australia 10 3.37%
Canada 38 12.79%
United States of America 165 55.56%
Singapore 14 4.71%
United Kingdom 15 5.05%
Brazil 13 4.38%
Other 31 10.44%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:40 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,244,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
I don't understand why foreign born to you foreign born=multiculturalism. Would a place like the UAE with what 60% foreign born be the multicultural capital of the world?

I don't see why minority groups that may have been established in a country for many decades or so somehow no longer equal diversity?

I think ethnic origin of the population is a much better way to look at diversity. Also frankly multiculturalism or diversity shouldn't be about how many seperate non-interacting cultures happen to be living next to each other but how those cultures integrate and fuse into each other and how that affects the broader national culture itself.

ps. not to go into a whole other side topic but if illegal immigrants were calculated into the official immigration stats the us's foreign born pop. would increase quite a bit.
THANKYOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What daniel said. We're talking about multiculturalism. Don't confuse it with people who just look different.

NYC was the only American city I went to which seemed to me as diverse as Sydney. Of course I'm sure SF holds a candle to it. LA seemed was somewhat diverse in terms of looks but it was far more American.
You have seriously no idea what your talking about, Los Angeles felt more american then NYC, i got news for you, there are tons of cities more diverse then sydney in america, get out of your australian mind just something similar to what you said in a earlier post.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,993 times
china, we have more than 56 ethnic groups

Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 北京青年 View Post
china, we have more than 56 ethnic groups
um

Old 06-26-2013, 09:59 PM
pdw

2,736 posts, read 3,159,150 times
The USA might have more people from different countries overall, but we have to remember they have about 10x our population as well. Just in the small "WASP" town (not a small town by American standards either, a small town by Canadian standards) I live in here in Canada, I have known people from at least 15 different countries. From all different parts of the world too, not just mostly from one specific area. I don't live near a large city, either. The largest city I live within commuting distance to has only about 100 000 people. Canada is, in the true essence of the word, a country of immigrants.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,596,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Its a lot harder to get into the USA then it is to get into canada or australia. Also stop saying america just won because most posters are america, honestly on this forum most people aren't american as most Americans on this website could careless about all this nonsense.
Yea this thread created some butthurt
"Wahh Wahh quit the American flag waving"
I wonder if they noticed I didn't even vote for the US. I was going to vote either UAE or Canada and ended up voting Canada.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:28 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,129,900 times
You have forget about Russia. More than 200 ethnic groups.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 AM

121 posts, read 89,927 times
I think of multi-cutural as an ideal of a country that supports cultural differences but seeks to create an harmonious overall culture. On that measure, I see the US and UK as mono-cultures as the emphasis is on cultural assimilation. Countries that support multi-culturalism that I am aware of include Singapore, Malaysia and Australia. As an anecdote, Australia has a govt funded tv & radio network SBS, that is a PBS/NPR for migrants showing news etc from around the world. Great network! There maybe other countries with this approach, but these are the ones I have seen.

In straight migration terms, I think the countries with the greatest % of migrants are Israel, Australia

Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 AM

4,432 posts, read 7,013,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You have seriously no idea what your talking about, Los Angeles felt more american then NYC, i got news for you, there are tons of cities more diverse then sydney in america, get out of your australian mind just something similar to what you said in a earlier post.
The biggest difference with Australia and America is there is a higher percentage of people that have been born overseas than America. 1/4 people in Australia were born overseas. In Isreal it is 1/3. America it is 13%. In neighbouring Canada it is 20%. Plus even New Zealand was 23%. So in places such as Isreal, Australia, New Zealand and Canada you would hear a higher percentage of people with foreign accents than in America.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM

37,428 posts, read 39,884,033 times
Singapore is a pretty good answer, but that's pretty easy for Singapore since it's just a single city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World