Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering:
Is there any country left that actually likes Americans? Or did we pretty much ruin it? I don't mean "put up with" either. I mean actually want us to come to your country. Honesty is appreciated by all. Thanks

Old 10-13-2007, 12:21 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Albanians love Americans. Albania was basically the only country in Europe where the Pres. was welcomed with open arms.

Two countries in Asia that I can think of that generally have a good impression of Americans are the Phillipines and India.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:49 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
You are definitely correct on Albania. I was in Tirana for a few days last summer the week before Bush's visit. It was a shock to see huge pro-American banners all over the city and to see the reactions on people's faces when they figured out that I was an American.

Lots of people in Europe still welcome many American musicians, authors, students, and business people, etc but they are increasingly disdainful of us in general (despite what you hear that its only against Bush).

Most people are not inclined to have any affection for another country or its citizens unless it has some traits that we respect and admire. They are disappointed that we've decided (as a nation) to stop following our own founding principles. When we get ourselves back on track and clean up the mess we've made of our country, I think they'll come around.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:52 AM

59 posts, read 340,534 times
In my experience, a lot of people say they like Americans but hate the American government.

To me this sounds like they are just softening their opinion to keep from overly offending me (an American), as the American government is run by the American people. Therefore I don't see how you can insult one without essentially insulting the other. But perhaps a lot of foreigners don't see it that way and really believe there's a differentiation.

They still like Americans in Japan. Some people (mostly old people that I've met) even like our government. My mother-in-law thinks Bush is sexy.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:21 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
In my experience, a lot of people say they like Americans but hate the American government.

To me this sounds like they are just softening their opinion to keep from overly offending me (an American), as the American government is run by the American people. Therefore I don't see how you can insult one without essentially insulting the other. But perhaps a lot of foreigners don't see it that way and really believe there's a differentiation.
I think you are correct but with a twist - I think they psychologally need to voice some kind of differentiation because otherwise they would be admitting that they hate another people (which they may) - something which is not acceptable in most modern societies.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:59 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post

... the American government is run by the American people ...

Really??? Perhaps you've been outside of the US too long?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:01 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Default Hating of Americans ...

... never heard of such a thing, and I've lived in eight countries, visited many more, on three continents ...

It helps if one avoids talking loud, saying stupids things, and is soft-spoken in the local language.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:27 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
This is insightful. I remember when we were "cool". It doesn't seem possible to get back there now.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Really??? Perhaps you've been outside of the US too long?
Oh? Did I get that wrong?

What country or nationality does Bush and his administration belong to? The House and Senate? Who elected all of those folks into office? My mistake, I thought those were Americans punching the chads in FL.

My apologies if you're just being sarcastic. If that's the case, then I have been out of the country too long!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
This is insightful. I remember when we were "cool". It doesn't seem possible to get back there now.
We were never "cool" except in our own minds. People haven't liked the US for quite some time now. They seem to be a lot more vocal about it within the last 10 years or so, but the argument could be made that Americans travel abroad more nowadays than they did and so are more willing to listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World