Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
most certainly yes

always amazes me how most americans appear to believe that poverty is a choice , in reality the vast bulk of people in this world have zero chance of ever being anything but poor by western standards , while in south america , i met a vet who earned 400 dollars ( equivelent of ) per month , in otherwords , an educated professional who quite clearly had not squandered their ability
In Uganda primary school teachers make the equivalent of $100/month. College instructors made just over $200. In order for these people to send their kids to private schools so they might have a chance at a better job or to go to university, they need to borrow from a bank at a rate of over 20%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 04:43 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
People in the poorest countries are honest and fair in their dealings with each other. Everyone is always given the correct change, people don't aggressively try to crowd ahead of each other to get on a bus, when somebody tells you something you can take them at their word. If a person is seen to be in need, others are quick to come to their assistance. I've been the recipient dozens of times myself, of the kindness of complete strangers, in circumstances in which Americans would just have walked past me or blown me off.
This sounds like a very rosy picture of how things actually are in poor countries, especially your first 2 sentences. I guess it depends on which countries we're talking about and where in those countries.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This sounds like a very rosy picture of how things actually are in poor countries, especially your first 2 sentences. I guess it depends on which countries we're talking about and where in those countries.
I had the same experiences in Uganda. Not as rosy in the capitol of Kampala, but otherwise the most helpful, friendly people I've ever met. And, no, there weren't after the rich mzungu's money!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Given that developed countries are so much richer and have such a higher standard of living compared to most of the world, do you think that those of us who live in them are either born with silver spoons in our mouths or live sheltered lives far different from the reality of the great mass of humanity that has ever existed?
no, I think we just appreciate the importance of hard work, integrity, organisation, democracy and committment more than our 3rd World 'friends'.

Most of the locals where I live would rather get a handout (foreign aid) than actually work.

They are mainly spineless toads that get what they deserve - which is not a lot.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

Most of the locals where I live would rather get a handout (foreign aid) than actually work.
You mean, you've actually been to a country where any of the foreign aid money actually trickles down to the locals? And it simply gets handed to them? Where would that be?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:54 AM

good point, lol

but the leaders and elites take the money and then the regular locals try to grovel some coins out of them, rather than working or studying.

not to mention the super-leech tourism industry.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
People in the poorest countries are honest and fair in their dealings with each other. Everyone is always given the correct change, people don't aggressively try to crowd ahead of each other to get on a bus, when somebody tells you something you can take them at their word. If a person is seen to be in need, others are quick to come to their assistance.
is this for real!

sure you weren't just having a good time on holiday?

I"d say exactly the opposite is true.

Corruption, me first, lying, stealing and cheating is the real order of the day in the 3rd World (the reason why they are poor)

Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
no, I think we just appreciate the importance of hard work, integrity, organisation, democracy and committment more than our 3rd World 'friends'.

They are mainly spineless toads that get what they deserve - which is not a lot.
your grossly ignorant

Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
is this for real!

sure you weren't just having a good time on holiday?

I"d say exactly the opposite is true.

Corruption, me first, lying, stealing and cheating is the real order of the day in the 3rd World (the reason why they are poor)
And I'm sure according to you the entire population of these countries is like this? Nobody hard-working? Not my experience, but of course your cynical attitude must be the real one. Not a happy person are you?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:
I don't think "dignity" is the correct word to use in this context. I've been to more than 120 countries, and I have never seen one where people do not respect the dignity of each other, and in most countries, they surpass the American concept of dignity for each other, or expected payment for helping.

People in the poorest countries are honest and fair in their dealings with each other. Everyone is always given the correct change, people don't aggressively try to crowd ahead of each other to get on a bus, when somebody tells you something you can take them at their word. If a person is seen to be in need, others are quick to come to their assistance. I've been the recipient dozens of times myself, of the kindness of complete strangers, in circumstances in which Americans would just have walked past me or blown me off.

Everybody in the world pretty well understands the mortality and life expectancy in their country, and everyone knows that death can be walking very close behind you. Death occurs often, and sometimes early, but people know how to deal with that reality, and to get on with their lives. That is not a dignity issue.
Yes. You're right I used the wrong word.

I think your last paragraph sums up what i was trying to say better than I said it. In the rich countries death from disease or violence happens to other people (ie for most old people are the only ones they expect to die). In truly poor countries it happens to people you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World