Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 08:04 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleighman View Post
Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. My dad was born in Germany and I take after him a lot. Living in the USA my whole life I see a bunch of things I don't agree with. First thing is I am environment friendly and care about this whole for my future family. People here make recycling the hardest thing to do. There will be a recycling bin right next to the trash bin and people just throw everything in the trash including recyclables. People daily drive HUGE vehicles and guzzles gas for no reason. Everything is transported by big trucks instead of using trains. The "American dream" is living in the suburbs and you have to drive everywhere! People are scared to live in cities because they think cities are dangerous. Second people here in the states are lazy. No one wants to walk to work/stores or even ride a bike. They come up with excuses saying "its too hot" or "its raining outside". Some states have 40% of the population being obese. Kids don't play outside anymore because they are too busy getting to the highest level with their x-box. Maybe if the USA believes in living in walkable neighborhoods then we would not have these problems. Third there are people here that are racist. There are people here that wouldn't vote for Obama as president because he is black. I just don't see the point in being racist. I love different cultures and I love learning about the world. I have listened to Arabic and Indian music finding it very beautiful. People here just don't care about others as it seems. People don't like change even if its for the better. People are afraid of change thinking its going to kill them. There are other small things that I don't agree with here in the states but I will just leave it at those three topics. I am not making it out to be a bad place to live. I would just like to see things differently. Maybe I am living in the wrong part of the states and need to move to a different part. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me? I want some outside opinions on what peopls "Americans". Have anyone moved away because of these reasons?
The bigger issues are that people can't afford higher education, poisons are being put into our food, cancer & obesity rates are rising & women are not getting paid as much men, nor are we getting paid for maternity leave. IT HAS TO STOP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 08:09 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Having lived in India and Germany I can explain why americans drive a lot... Because it's a WASTE OF TIME to walk. We actually value our time in america. Just like in germany they love to spend all day eating at a restaurant while we just want to eat and get out. We have other things to do in our lives then just walk and eat. Also our government doesn't tax gas to the point where it is literally twice the cost. If in germany driver's licenses didn't cost 2000 euro's and the gas wasn't twice the price because of tax then I promise you they'd be driving everywhere! All your arguments as far as I'm concerned are just pure economics and american's living a way they actually earned the right to do.

The public transportation and valuing the simple things in europe is very romantic, but you better love it because it's very hard to live above it there.
I lost over 60 pounds solely by walking. Walking is def not a waste of time.

Oh and I'm American.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:17 AM

49 posts, read 46,823 times
Religious conservative puritanism in the US is a grim way of life. The US seems to revel in this sort of misery and it tends to be a dogmatic type of religion whose tenets may not be violated.

However, being foreign born, I was raised in a good rural Catholic parish which had a lively and fun filled social life. Below the church sanctuary was a fully stocked bar and restaurant area which was frequented by most of the congregation after Sunday mass. Parties and anniversaries were regularly held at this location and the priest was always a guest. He drank with the parishoners and played with the kids who were always present and he was was given permission to discipline the ever present tykes when they became unruly.

This rural church was also an after school depository for kids whose parents worked long hours and other non working mothers cared for them after school hours. The congregation was fun loving and sermons were always started with members of the congregation telling those assembled of any problems or celebrations in their lives.

The congregation was also oriented by charitable contributions to unnamed members who needed help - and the priest was trusted to dole out money and goods to those who needed it. Theology was never preached out in large doses and Bible story examples were always sited in the priest’s Sunday sermons. Jokingly the priest always let us know what his favorite foods were and often was invited to dine with congregants on the condition that he would help with food preparation and kitchen scullery afterwards.

Our clergy were treated as equals and were always asked if they needed anything large or small in their daily lives. Whenever our priest was overworked he told us so and we always had subs so he could have the weekend off. This church remains today and has a larger than normal older congregation living at home who are cared for by this church.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 AM

13 posts, read 17,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I've thought about it. That's what I'm doing in China now...
I used to live in China.
Little to the west(k...stan) and everything becomes much more European. Chinese people "easier"
There is more money and in my opinion more respect

This is a very enviable opportunity, because even if you are a homeless in the U.S., you can always be a teacher in "Russia"

Old 03-30-2014, 10:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
Texas wants to secede from the united states of america.. maybe they are having the same problem
Please. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Poll after poll shows that only about three percent of Texans "want" to secede. And I have a feeling that percentage would drop even more if people really understood the realities of secession.

That being said, Texans do have a more independent attitude toward the federal government. And that's OK by me!

Old 03-30-2014, 10:30 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuy View Post
Welcome to Russia, you will always be able to work here as a teacher of English.
And will earn higher than average. Of course it is a bit extreme, but I know a lot of Americans
who work here.
(
you don't need a teacher's diploma)
Even profitable:-) would be if you select neighboring countries

Ps: I'm not a KGB agent;-)
Is there a fairly large expat community in Eastern Russia? What city are you in? I've always wanted to visit Far East Russia and do a Mongolia/Northeast China/Far East Russia/South Korea/Japan tour as an alternative to the usual southeast Asia circuit.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:34 AM

119 posts, read 215,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleighman View Post
Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. My dad was born in Germany and I take after him a lot. Living in the USA my whole life I see a bunch of things I don't agree with. First thing is I am environment friendly and care about this whole for my future family. People here make recycling the hardest thing to do. There will be a recycling bin right next to the trash bin and people just throw everything in the trash including recyclables. People daily drive HUGE vehicles and guzzles gas for no reason. Everything is transported by big trucks instead of using trains. The "American dream" is living in the suburbs and you have to drive everywhere! People are scared to live in cities because they think cities are dangerous. Second people here in the states are lazy. No one wants to walk to work/stores or even ride a bike. They come up with excuses saying "its too hot" or "its raining outside". Some states have 40% of the population being obese. Kids don't play outside anymore because they are too busy getting to the highest level with their x-box. Maybe if the USA believes in living in walkable neighborhoods then we would not have these problems. Third there are people here that are racist. There are people here that wouldn't vote for Obama as president because he is black. I just don't see the point in being racist. I love different cultures and I love learning about the world. I have listened to Arabic and Indian music finding it very beautiful. People here just don't care about others as it seems. People don't like change even if its for the better. People are afraid of change thinking its going to kill them. There are other small things that I don't agree with here in the states but I will just leave it at those three topics. I am not making it out to be a bad place to live. I would just like to see things differently. Maybe I am living in the wrong part of the states and need to move to a different part. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me? I want some outside opinions on what peopls "Americans". Have anyone moved away because of these reasons?
I know exactly what you are saying.

American people do not like to admit their own faults. If you bring up their ignorance, they will say "What are you talking about?" but deep down, they know.

Go overseas and try it out. It will broaden your horizons a lot. And you will realize that people in most other countries are MUCH more friendly.

Of course you can move around in the US. Go over to Hawaii or California if you want something different. But even these places are still very "American" in their vibe.

Take a vacation to Thailand or Africa. See what really friendly people act like.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAndSettling View Post

Take a vacation to Thailand or Africa. See what really friendly people act like.
Everyone is friendly, with their hand out accepting your money.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:46 AM

119 posts, read 215,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Everyone is friendly, with their hand out accepting your money.
In the USA they just go collect welfare and food stamps. That's the ONLY reason why we don't see widespread begging here.

Many American people are no better than a poor African or poor Asian. They are no more educated and no better. They just happened to be born into a rich nation.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAndSettling View Post
I know exactly what you are saying.

American people do not like to admit their own faults. If you bring up their ignorance, they will say "What are you talking about?" but deep down, they know.

Go overseas and try it out. It will broaden your horizons a lot. And you will realize that people in most other countries are MUCH more friendly.

Of course you can move around in the US. Go over to Hawaii or California if you want something different. But even these places are still very "American" in their vibe.

okay stranger on the internet who i have never met, please explain to me my ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World