Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the best economy?
Australia 17 20.00%
Sweden 17 20.00%
Dubai 3 3.53%
USA 27 31.76%
Canada 21 24.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 AM

277 posts, read 506,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
Wasn't there in the 50's or 60's, but those decades are generally considered the peak of the American middle class. New York isn't alone in the US, or western world, with the sickening wealth gap problem.

The wealthy do not know what's good for them and we can see they rather let great cities decay, allowing more people around them to be thrown into poverty and homelessness, just so they can accumulate more and more wealth that they have no use for. We've seen this before, many times.

Like in the past, they get away with this when there is no check on their greed and power. Their kind are abundant in governments, they have overwhelming influence on economic policy.
I get what you saying. I just came from New York and the rich areas doesn't look rich. You can't tell the difference from the rich area from the middle class from the working class from the poor. Everything in New York look alike. The Hamptons doesn't even look rich. A few weeks ago I visited some "rich" areas here in St. Louis and I find it laughable. You wouldn't believe the rich areas out here have cracked streets, power lines cutting through the home, no posh retail or privately owned shops, public transportation cuts through the neighborhood, and a block away they have dollar stores. The only thing rich appearing about America's rich is how large the homes are. I guess a neighborhood or area with large homes is indeed wealthy compare to the average lifestyle of the USA. Someone said you live better in the US if you're poor but if you are middle class and rich you'll live better elsewhere. I'm beginning to believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 03:43 PM

872 posts, read 1,384,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
It's funny how Dubai is on his list. Plentiful structures or buildings does not constitute a "best economy".
Indeed. But who cares about the economy when you have nice big shiny skyscrapers to look at?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:45 PM

872 posts, read 1,384,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
I get what you saying. I just came from New York and the rich areas doesn't look rich. You can't tell the difference from the rich area from the middle class from the working class from the poor. Everything in New York look alike. The Hamptons doesn't even look rich. A few weeks ago I visited some "rich" areas here in St. Louis and I find it laughable. You wouldn't believe the rich areas out here have cracked streets, power lines cutting through the home, no posh retail or privately owned shops, public transportation cuts through the neighborhood, and a block away they have dollar stores. The only thing rich appearing about America's rich is how large the homes are. I guess a neighborhood or area with large homes is indeed wealthy compare to the average lifestyle of the USA. Someone said you live better in the US if you're poor but if you are middle class and rich you'll live better elsewhere. I'm beginning to believe it.
The homes look pretty grotty too to be honest.

And as for one of those 'only in New York' things... people turning up to watch performances at the met opera house wearing tracksuits. I mean really ...

Old 12-29-2012, 03:46 PM

304 posts, read 782,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Out of the options posted, Australia by far.

Lowest unemployment, has gone without a single quarter of recession of over 21 years, some of the highest wages and highest quality of life in the world. It combines US-style dynamism and economic freedom with northern European levels of social protection.
the australian economy is dependent on china. australia has a big trade surplus with China, which buys more than a quarter of australia's exports.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Currently the USA has the best economy with china in second place
China Has Second Best Economy

Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Indeed. But who cares about the economy when you have nice big shiny skyscrapers to look at?
Currently Dubai is in debt....too many expenses not to mention screwing up the ocean.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Currently the USA has the best economy with china in second place
China Has Second Best Economy
Largest doesn't equate to best, why is that so hard to understand?

Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Ranking of economies - Doing Business - World Bank Group

this shows Singapore, Hong Kong (China), New Zealand, United States, Norway and U.K.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM

557 posts, read 672,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Canada is doing better than the is USA but things are still rather sluggish. Personal debt is exploding under the weight of an inflated property bubble, manufacturing is in decline, in part due to our now much higher dollar due to international instability and increased resource extraction in the West, and the economy is only growing at like 2% a year. Canada's economy is chugging along cautiously, but it's fraught with dangers and it's really only doing mediocre. The US and Canada are each each other's biggest trading partners, and when they're doing poorly it affects our economy because it means they're no longer able to purchase our exports.
Actually, A majority of Canada's economy is dependent on trade and investments with the USA. While only a tiny percentage of the US economy is dependent on trade and investments from Canada.

(https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ca.html

Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Largest doesn't equate to best, why is that so hard to understand?
I know.....the link was not based on largest why is it so hard for you to understand that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World