Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM
 
43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Reputation: 20546

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Has concrete housing or apartment complex ever existed anywhere in the US? I realize that now with modern building, with insulators between floor and ceiling we don't need concrete anymore.

Going back all to 50's, I noticed most apartments were made from wood , usually medium-rise, 3 story buildings sprawled outside cities. I currently live in of those old buildings, and its so loud I cannot believe. When my neighbor stomps, my lamp rattles below me, the footstep noise is very annoying.

Compare it to Europe (I lived in former eastern block, Poland), I spent a lot of time in one of those "ugly" high-rise concrete blocks and they were very quiet. U might hear footsteps but not that lout they would affect your sleep and disturb you in studying or doing work at home.

Im not trying to start politics and compare democracy to communism. But it seems to me that "greed for profit" triumphed over common sense with lack of regulation and what we have we ended up with crappy apartment living because it was all made cheap; excessively focused on money and speed over comfortable living of future tenants. Perhaps then when carpets were very common that maybe helped a bit, but no one thought they would few decades later rip them off to replace with lightwood floor?
I see this problem in my parents apartment they purchased 6 years ago and I count my days until I move out (again) on my own after I pay off some proportion of student loans.

Let me picture the situation with footstep noise. Its so heavy and loud, your lamp, fan attached to ceiling rattles! Its like you hear a heard of elephants above you. I hear almost 24h a day stomping back and forth between kitchen and my room, door/window slamming. I had to talk to my neighbor to ask to walk more softly during the hours I come from work to sleep.
In NYC, most of the buildings that were built in the 1950s were made from red (or sometimes white) bricks and many of them have parkay wood floors. Most tenants use rugs/carpets to help with the noise in between the floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 AM
 
1,725 posts, read 2,066,602 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In NYC, most of the buildings that were built in the 1950s were made from red (or sometimes white) bricks and many of them have parkay wood floors. Most tenants use rugs/carpets to help with the noise in between the floors.
That's the problem of wooden floor partitions. The good thing about stone houses is that they allow the use of concrete slabs - they cost a bit more than wood, but provide decent sound proofing. Not perfect, though, so the flooring matters too.

In Russia banks don't provide mortgage for apartment buildings with wooden floor partitions, no matter anything - simply because virtually all of them are trash, awaiting demolition. "Modern" apartment buildings don't have them, because they don't meet the minimum requirements set after WW2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM
 
43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Reputation: 20546
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
That's the problem of wooden floor partitions. The good thing about stone houses is that they allow the use of concrete slabs - they cost a bit more than wood, but provide decent sound proofing. Not perfect, though, so the flooring matters too.

In Russia banks don't provide mortgage for apartment buildings with wooden floor partitions, no matter anything - simply because virtually all of them are trash, awaiting demolition. "Modern" apartment buildings don't have them, because they don't meet the minimum requirements set after WW2.
In Israel the apts. have large tiled floors which I assume are placed over concrete as one doesn't usually hear one's neighbors in the apts. above and below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: The Ranch in Olam Haba
23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Reputation: 9985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In Israel the apts. have large tiled floors which I assume are placed over concrete as one doesn't usually hear one's neighbors in the apts. above and below.
Actually the older apartments did. The newer ones are using stamped concrete now on top of the concrete floors. Also all the external walls are poured concrete too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 AM
 
794 posts, read 1,408,776 times
Reputation: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
"the powers that be" !!!

are just private housing contractors and developers responding to demand. There is no conspiracy!

Some people want single family dwellings- others want apartments. No one forces anyone into anything.
That is true. People like those cheap and pretty wooden framed units, and once all the housing stock is like that there is a disincentive for higher quality standards. This is true for units and single family homes. When a ten year asphalt roof is the norm, why pay extra and get a 100 year metal or shingle roof? Why build a house from brick or stone when wood frame is so much cheaper?

saying that, though, I have been in several concrete bunker modern apt buildings in the US. They are usually built for private ownership rather than rentals (the term condo means privately owned apartment). They point out the concrete construction and quietness as a selling point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 AM
 
794 posts, read 1,408,776 times
Reputation: 759
Chava, it's spelt parquet, not parkay. (I read it long before I heard it and didn't initally connect the two words).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
 
43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Reputation: 20546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Chava, it's spelt parquet, not parkay. (I read it long before I heard it and didn't initally connect the two words).
I have seen both spelling in use Parkey floors as well as Parquet floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Reputation: 11416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Indeed, in the US, the "powers that be" do everything possible to force us into a certain pattern of consumption, and for the past 60 years or so that has meant herding everyone into suburban single family homes, whether they like it or not, meaning continent-wide consumption of things like gasoline and homeowner's insurance, to name a few, most recently even to the point of severely impairing the entire financial system, both domestically and even globally.

To answer your question, for Florida at least, yes, concrete-block construction for houses and condo/apartment complexes is the norm, mainly because it is hurricane country.

However, even in this case, the quote above reigns: in Miami, for example, despite the so-called construction boom of the mid-2000s, there is still a dearth of quality, well-designed, multi-family, family-sized residential housing, no matter the price, except very high-end luxury into eight figures ... I could go into details ... and, based on my searches, that also goes for all other major cities in the country (e.g. Houston, San Francisco, and with the exception of Manhattan, but where starting prices are like $800 per square for crap, the bottom of the barrel), and all indications are that planners and builders have no intention of addressing that issue now and going forward, they will continue to build poorly designed small units, because that is best for their bottom line.

In short, if you want quality, in most cases you are forced into designing and building your own single family home, as if we were all post-industrial barons ... waste, waste, waste, waste, waste ...

... Good Luck!
Boy, do I disagree with you.
Wants push the market.

I live in the city and take the bus to work (when I live in the states).
It's the lifestyle I choose.
It's available to everyone.

Lots of white flight created the suburbs.
I never played that game and never will.

People don't always want to spend the $$ it would cost to construct a quality house.
It can be done, it is done, but you're not going to be able to do it on the cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 AM
 
1,725 posts, read 2,066,602 times
Reputation: 295
In Russia, economy class apartments look like that before renovation:




No matter how cheap it is - wood is absent. Even though Russia has A LOT of great wood. It simply doesn't meet the quality minimums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 02:31 PM
 
Location: North of Canada, but not the Arctic
21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
Reputation: 25612
A typical 3 story apartment building will be wood frame. High rises are concrete and steel.

Getting a top story unit will cut down on some of the noise. Also, there are single story apartment buildings.

Builders won't build concrete 3 story apartment buildings because they are much more expensive and there is not enough demand for them. Noise bothers some people like myself, but I know many people that are deep sleepers and don't even notice noises around them.

Can't explain why the Soviets built everything out of concrete. Maybe better to withstand nuclear bombs? Cost was not a factor since they were built by the government? Afraid of arson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top