Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 PM

389 posts, read 921,317 times

Advertisements

Has concrete housing or apartment complex ever existed anywhere in the US? I realize that now with modern building, with insulators between floor and ceiling we don't need concrete anymore.

Going back all to 50's, I noticed most apartments were made from wood , usually medium-rise, 3 story buildings sprawled outside cities. I currently live in of those old buildings, and its so loud I cannot believe. When my neighbor stomps, my lamp rattles below me, the footstep noise is very annoying.

Compare it to Europe (I lived in former eastern block, Poland), I spent a lot of time in one of those "ugly" high-rise concrete blocks and they were very quiet. U might hear footsteps but not that lout they would affect your sleep and disturb you in studying or doing work at home.

Im not trying to start politics and compare democracy to communism. But it seems to me that "greed for profit" triumphed over common sense with lack of regulation and what we have we ended up with crappy apartment living because it was all made cheap; excessively focused on money and speed over comfortable living of future tenants. Perhaps then when carpets were very common that maybe helped a bit, but no one thought they would few decades later rip them off to replace with lightwood floor?
I see this problem in my parents apartment they purchased 6 years ago and I count my days until I move out (again) on my own after I pay off some proportion of student loans.

Let me picture the situation with footstep noise. Its so heavy and loud, your lamp, fan attached to ceiling rattles! Its like you hear a heard of elephants above you. I hear almost 24h a day stomping back and forth between kitchen and my room, door/window slamming. I had to talk to my neighbor to ask to walk more softly during the hours I come from work to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post

... it seems to me that "greed for profit" triumphed over common sense with lack of regulation and what we have we ended up with crappy apartment living because it was all made cheap; excessively focused on money and speed over comfortable living of future tenants ...
Indeed, in the US, the "powers that be" do everything possible to force us into a certain pattern of consumption, and for the past 60 years or so that has meant herding everyone into suburban single family homes, whether they like it or not, meaning continent-wide consumption of things like gasoline and homeowner's insurance, to name a few, most recently even to the point of severely impairing the entire financial system, both domestically and even globally.

To answer your question, for Florida at least, yes, concrete-block construction for houses and condo/apartment complexes is the norm, mainly because it is hurricane country.

However, even in this case, the quote above reigns: in Miami, for example, despite the so-called construction boom of the mid-2000s, there is still a dearth of quality, well-designed, multi-family, family-sized residential housing, no matter the price, except very high-end luxury into eight figures ... I could go into details ... and, based on my searches, that also goes for all other major cities in the country (e.g. Houston, San Francisco, and with the exception of Manhattan, but where starting prices are like $800 per square for crap, the bottom of the barrel), and all indications are that planners and builders have no intention of addressing that issue now and going forward, they will continue to build poorly designed small units, because that is best for their bottom line.

In short, if you want quality, in most cases you are forced into designing and building your own single family home, as if we were all post-industrial barons ... waste, waste, waste, waste, waste ...

... Good Luck!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,785 times
Quote:
But it seems to me that "greed for profit" triumphed over common sense with lack of regulation and what we have we ended up with crappy apartment living because it was all made cheap; excessively focused on money and speed over comfortable living of future tenants.
I bet that's the case.

It is really weird to see timber framed buildings in US that look almost exactly like concrete Soviet hrushevki - the cheapest, mass built to fix housing crisis after WW2. Hrushevki were designed to be absolutely as cheap as possible - yet US buildings don't come close.

There was a lot of research made, as to what constitutes the minimal acceptable housing. The intention was to fix the problem quickly, and then gradually replace them with more comfortable housing.

After the appearance of hrushevki, timber framed and wooden apartment buildings became known as "barracks", due to incomparable quality.

Quote:
I had to talk to my neighbor to ask to walk more softly during the hours I come from work to sleep.
That's what the guy below us did, when I played with cars on a floor in hrushevka, as a kid. But there's no comparison with timber frame, of course.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
"the powers that be" !!!

are just private housing contractors and developers responding to demand. There is no conspiracy!

Some people want single family dwellings- others want apartments. No one forces anyone into anything.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM

98 posts, read 276,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
.... and all indications are that planners and builders have no intention of addressing that issue now and going forward, they will continue to build poorly designed small units, because that is best for their bottom line.
Unfortunately, that's still true today. The only way for the U.S. to build high quality apts is either local communities add stricter building codes and /or some developer(s) will build high quality apts at competitive prices thus bleeding residents of those cookie cutter apts and forcing those plaster made apts to 'upgrade'.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Miami, florida has lots of those things. I hated it, there were hardly any houses.

I prefer houses, apartments are absolutely ugly.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM

13,636 posts, read 10,040,055 times
Quote:
Has concrete housing or apartment complex ever existed anywhere in the US? I realize that now with modern building, with insulators between floor and ceiling we don't need concrete anymore.

Going back all to 50's, I noticed most apartments were made from wood , usually medium-rise, 3 story buildings sprawled outside cities. I currently live in of those old buildings, and its so loud I cannot believe. When my neighbor stomps, my lamp rattles below me, the footstep noise is very annoying.

Compare it to Europe (I lived in former eastern block, Poland), I spent a lot of time in one of those "ugly" high-rise concrete blocks and they were very quiet. U might hear footsteps but not that lout they would affect your sleep and disturb you in studying or doing work at home.

Im not trying to start politics and compare democracy to communism. But it seems to me that "greed for profit" triumphed over common sense with lack of regulation and what we have we ended up with crappy apartment living because it was all made cheap; excessively focused on money and speed over comfortable living of future tenants. Perhaps then when carpets were very common that maybe helped a bit, but no one thought they would few decades later rip them off to replace with lightwood floor?
I see this problem in my parents apartment they purchased 6 years ago and I count my days until I move out (again) on my own after I pay off some proportion of student loans.

Let me picture the situation with footstep noise. Its so heavy and loud, your lamp, fan attached to ceiling rattles! Its like you hear a heard of elephants above you. I hear almost 24h a day stomping back and forth between kitchen and my room, door/window slamming. I had to talk to my neighbor to ask to walk more softly during the hours I come from work to sleep.
This question relates to the story of the "Three Little Pigs". At least wood was chosen.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
This question relates to the story of the "Three Little Pigs". At least wood was chosen.
Most Russians liken timber-framed houses with the first one in the story. Really, it's hard to equal them with fully wooden houses.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM

13,636 posts, read 10,040,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Most Russians liken timber-framed houses with the first one in the story. Really, it's hard to equal them with fully wooden houses.
I'm English, we like concrete and clay.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,468,275 times
Honolulu is full of concrete high-rises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World