Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
At the risk of offending someone, I did not like London at all, nor did I feel welcome. I would not return to London ever. I do wish I had spent more time in the English countryside, and I plan to visit again one day and do just that. The people in London did not seem to like Americans or tourists in general. Some might say that is a big city thing, but I did not feel the same about all the cities I have visited. It was more than a feeling of just a city in a hurry; it was a city that was angry.
I lived just outside of London for about 6 or 7 months. Hated living and working there. I didn't find Londoners very friendly or helpful. However, I love visiting London (even though I'm really not a city person). And yes it's busy and people trying to get work do get annoyed with tourists stopping in the middle of a sidewalk or bridge and gawking and taking photos. But they love the money tourists bring in. I never visit London in high season--way too crowded. Wonderful in springtime.

However, the UK is not just London! There are many quiet, friendly, beautiful places in the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Absolutely, while I'm originating from a very ancient French family (with genealogy back to the Middle Ages), I don't feel a special connection to my homecountry, I could easily live in Asia or America or another European country and not go back to France and not be homesick. I'm not ashamed of my national roots, but I just don't give a damn. Last year I was traveling in Thailand , which is very popular with the French, and in National Parks logbooks one has to write down name and nationality, all the French people were writing down their nationality (they tend to criticize patriotism in others, but theyr reserve it for themselves), I was always writing down "citizen of the world". However I believe there is much too much (poor) immigration in France, but that's another debate...

Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 AM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't think I have ever seen such a condescending tool post on an internet forum before, and that is an amazing feet. For your sake I hope you do not act in a similar manner in the real world as you do on here, or you may end up with a few black eyes and a broken leg.

Personally I would welcome an American arriving here and proclaiming how British they feel, it just reinforces my opinion that the British culture and identity is vastly superior to anything North America can come up with.
Tool post? Who here is typing up the tool post?

I sincerely enjoyed my visits to England. I encountered many courteous, friendly and helpful people. It's a beautiful country rich in history.

I, however, would not choose to move there. The petrol prices are frighting, I'm setting the oven to..., there are sheep in the road!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM

132 posts, read 176,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Tool post? Who here is typing up the tool post?

I sincerely enjoyed my visits to England. I encountered many courteous, friendly and helpful people. It's a beautiful country rich in history.

I, however, would not choose to move there. The petrol prices are frighting, I'm setting the oven to..., there are sheep in the road!
In fairness, petrol prices may be higher, but you don't generally have to drive as far, there's better public transport and I found car insurance and the cost of repairs both in the UK and Sweden to be cheaper. Americans generally have to commute much further than their European counterparts. That is a huge cost in itself.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
In fairness, petrol prices may be higher, but you don't generally have to drive as far, there's better public transport and I found car insurance and the cost of repairs both in the UK and Sweden to be cheaper. Americans generally have to commute much further than their European counterparts. That is a huge cost in itself.
And you'd save a bundle on health care - no insurance costs, no co-pays. And if you live in Scotland prescriptions are free. And free bus when you hit 60.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:52 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I did feel similarly when I was a childish liberal in my naive teenage years. Then I realized there's more to life than politics (unless you live in an oppressive country), and quite happy here.
This describes me exactly.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:58 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
No, but I've often wished I had boobs so I could feel myself up.

Seriously though, I can understand having a fascination with another country and wanting to experience that but I can't fathom feeling like you should have been born somewhere else.

BTW, Virginia is some of America'a most beautiful country.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 PM

110 posts, read 281,051 times
Growing up in a reserved, conformist society of Japan; I always feel I don't belong in this judgmental country.
We have a saying here, "A nail that sticks out must be hammered down." I think it's an awful thinking made by our ancestors.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
Default i feel the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
I'm Australian and I feel as if I should have been born in the USA - I don't feel like I belong here, lol.
i feel like that but i am from california and wish i could live for a long time in uk/ireland or aus! (i have loved all my experiences in those countries!!!)

Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
I used to feel this way a lot more. Sometimes though, I feel like I should have been born Canadian. German would work for me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World