Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:55 PM

525 posts, read 453,943 times

Advertisements

I wasn't born in the US, but I've been living here ever since I can remember. To be honest, even though I'm a US citizen, I never really felt patriotic, especially as I learned more and more about the sort of things the US has done. So no, I don't really feel like I belong here. That being said, I doubt I'd truly feel like I "belong" anywhere. Although I do believe that even though no country has a perfectly clean history, some countries have better systems than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:00 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
It's not that I feel I don't feel I necessarily belong in the US, but I will say I think I would be more in tune with the cultures, lifestyle and generally happier in the countries of Brazil, Portugal, Spain and Italy. When I go there I just feel so comfortable and I actually feel more comfortable talking and meeting people there than I do with my fellow Americans. I actually tend to have a negative view on Americans in general. I think we are good people in general, but as a society it just feels like there is too much emphasis on material things and being in the rat race and less so on than just doing quality things like spending time with family, and enjoying life and not so focused and having more, more and more. When I see the videos of shoppers on Black Friday it just makes me sad, or that my half sister (whose grandparents are American) gets 20 gifts for Christmas. Or how people here will wait hours on end, for the new IPhone, Nikes, or things in general, but ask them when was the last time they visited their grandmother, I am sure most people would be shocked. I think it's just the mentality and way I am that is more in tune with those other countries.

I do fit in the US, but that's because I am a product of being raised here. If I was raised in Spain, Portugal or Italy, I don't think I would like the US very much.
I totally relate to your statement I also feel comfortable with the cultures you mentioned.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
It's not that I feel I don't feel I necessarily belong in the US, but I will say I think I would be more in tune with the cultures, lifestyle and generally happier in the countries of Brazil, Portugal, Spain and Italy. When I go there I just feel so comfortable and I actually feel more comfortable talking and meeting people there than I do with my fellow Americans. I actually tend to have a negative view on Americans in general. I think we are good people in general, but as a society it just feels like there is too much emphasis on material things and being in the rat race and less so on than just doing quality things like spending time with family, and enjoying life and not so focused and having more, more and more. When I see the videos of shoppers on Black Friday it just makes me sad, or that my half sister (whose grandparents are American) gets 20 gifts for Christmas. Or how people here will wait hours on end, for the new IPhone, Nikes, or things in general, but ask them when was the last time they visited their grandmother, I am sure most people would be shocked. I think it's just the mentality and way I am that is more in tune with those other countries.

I do fit in the US, but that's because I am a product of being raised here. If I was raised in Spain, Portugal or Italy, I don't think I would like the US very much.
Agree 100% with this, and it is something I do not relate to at all. On Black Friday, I went to visit my grandmother instead of going shopping. Family is everything to me. We are large, very close, and really cherish the time we spend together (cousins, uncles, aunts, etc...).

Unfortunately however, materialism in our society is very pervasive and influential.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
I often feel like I don't belong in Canada as I've never embraced hockey or the cold like other Canucks do. Just never liked it at all... I'm happiest when I'm out in the sun doing water sports

Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 PM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
I was born in France from Portuguese ethnicity. I never felt French whatsoever, I left the country almost 10 years ago and plan on never going back. I recently had the French naturalization revoked and feel very about my decision.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM

919 posts, read 840,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I often feel like I don't belong in Canada as I've never embraced hockey or the cold like other Canucks do. Just never liked it at all... I'm happiest when I'm out in the sun doing water sports
I thought Vancouver was much better than other places in Canada in that regard.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:54 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I thought Vancouver was much better than other places in Canada in that regard.
It is better but it's no Miami or Honolulu

Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 820 times
Default Wrong Place Wrong Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I love almost everything brittish too
They sure have the best rock bands ever.
And Shakespeare.
Hi there - Yeh I totally understand where your coming from. I live in Scotland UK but I feel I should have been born American. I love your country, love being there, intact I feel a completely different person when I am there. It's prob more New York/New Jersey I feel most strongly connected too. Been to Florida and down that way but didn't get the same attachment. It's nice to know others feel the same cause my family just look at me as if I'm nuts.
Karen - Scots Gal lol

Old 07-29-2017, 04:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
YES. I'm American and I don't feel like I fit in with much of this country at all. I definitely fit in with my city (New York), but not the country as a whole. I think it has more to do with my city not fitting into the rest of my country.

I realized this after the last election

And the lifestyle is way different outside of NYC. You must need a car to do.... anything, ever. You're weird if you like to walk and take transit. I had somebody on the general US forum call me autistic because I like a city with a good train system, and it's my preferred way to get around. Because apparently only autistic people like to take trains .... only in America.... and it was in a thread about subways too

I think I'd have an easier time adjusting to life in London or Paris or something over 90% + of The US

Old 07-30-2017, 03:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
I've never felt like I have belonged in any of the countries that I have lived in. Some come closer than others and some have one or two spots that feel great vibe-wise (e.g.; like the Miami metropolitan area in the U.S. or the London LUZ in the U.K.), but that's usually as great as it ever gets for me.

Then again, I pine for Oceania. So that's maybe why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World