Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,731 times

Advertisements

1. USA !!
2. Many Middle Eastern countries/cultures
3. Quebec/Canada
4. France
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 07:01 PM

362 posts, read 665,240 times
Its hard to generalize....

I would say the us, Japan, western european countries are the top materialistic countries.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:45 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
The U.S. may be materialistic, but I don't care much about that. I like to make money and spend most of it on doing things rather than having things. (After all, how are you supposed to travel if you don't have enough money for it?) That's the proper way to live life, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Every country, given the opportunity.
Well said.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Every country, given the opportunity.
Y'know what? I believe that people want their needs fulfilled, but I think what's meant by "materialism" is a kind of values system and philosophy which is far from universal. There's a difference between a capitalist economy, which is clearly useful for producing prosperity and improving the public good, and a capitalist morality and values system. We need the free market, but when our identity as consumers supplants our identity as citizens, as members of a family, as moral creatures, I think we sacrifice something intangible that's not talked about enough in our society, and that's what makes us spiritually f...ed up and leads to huge problems in our society. To me, that's the philosophical heart of what it means to be materialistic or part of a materialist society, one where the market becomes a cultural values system, rather then just an efficient way to organize productive work.

I really recommend this discussion on the topic of the moral underpinnings of the market. It's not just one sided (although it introduces with a single speaker), and I found it thought provoking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUdww...re=context-gfa

Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Y'know what? I believe that people want their needs fulfilled, but I think what's meant by "materialism" is a kind of values system and philosophy which is far from universal. There's a difference between a capitalist economy, which is clearly useful for producing prosperity and improving the public good, and a capitalist morality and values system. We need the free market, but when our identity as consumers supplants our identity as citizens, as members of a family, as moral creatures, I think we sacrifice something intangible that's not talked about enough in our society, and that's what makes us spiritually f...ed up and leads to huge problems in our society. To me, that's the philosophical heart of what it means to be materialistic or part of a materialist society, one where the market becomes a cultural values system, rather then just an efficient way to organize productive work.
While I personally don't reject capitalist morality and values altogether (I kind of have a feeling that our understandings of those concepts are pretty divergent), I do find your assessment of cultural consumerism to be dead-on.

Take notes, everyone--it's a good idea to understand what materialism actually is before making pompous blanket statements about its role in other countries. Just a thought...

Old 10-26-2012, 01:03 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
While I personally don't reject capitalist morality and values altogether (I kind of have a feeling that our understandings of those concepts are pretty divergent), I do find your assessment of cultural consumerism to be dead-on.

Take notes, everyone--it's a good idea to understand what materialism actually is before making pompous blanket statements about its role in other countries. Just a thought...
Might not be as different as you imagine! Indeed, this is an area where I still struggle with conflicting ideas about what's ultimately moral and what isn't. I think respecting other people's economic freedoms is an important part of showing respect for their dignity, but at the same time a world where everything and everyone is commodified or viewed through the metaphor of the market has some scary implications. Anyways, a bit too crazy complicated a topic to really get into right now, don't want to derail the thread!

I'd post a list of countries, but I just don't know if this is something I can easily add up and compare, it's really multifaceted and some cultures are "materialistic" in some ways, but not others.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Tier 1:
Monaco
USA
UAE
Qatar
Singapore

Tier 2:
Japan
South Korea
Hong Kong
Macau

Tier 3:
France
Canada
UK
Australia
Argentina
Chile
Malaysia

I don't know where to rank Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iran, Russia and China.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM

250 posts, read 502,990 times
Why do so many people rate South Korea so highly on materialism?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 AM

110 posts, read 280,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen401 View Post
Why do so many people rate South Korea so highly on materialism?
Maybe because many many of Korean women are obsessed with designer labels and make ups. It's all over their magazines and tvs. Teens becoming so self conscious because the media is showing this "one beautiful look" they are all aiming for. Pretty very similar to the situation here in Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World